Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation- Major collapse of AA coming in next year due to IT?

Speculation- Major collapse of AA coming in next year due to IT?

Old Feb 10, 20, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Last Thursday when CLT was shut down for thunderstorms and then a tornado, my flight YYZ-CLT was showing on time. Also the incoming flight CLT-YYZ was showing on time even though CLT was shut down and the incoming flight there was heldup somewhere else. When I call the EXP line I was told since they were both showing on time they couldn't change my ticket. This seems like an IT issue or at least an interface issue.

As for the baggage issue in the app, I've noticed the same thing. I'll need to click in to the find my bag link to actually find out the current status. Happened Sun night and last Thu both. Restarting the app/phone doesn't seem to help.
Old Feb 10, 20, 1:10 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
And I'll be fine!

I'll just grab my J seat with my paper boarding pass, utilizing technology dating back to the 4th millenium BC.

And I'll be fine!
Old Feb 10, 20, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
I'll just grab my J seat with my paper boarding pass, utilizing technology dating back to the 4th millenium BC.

And I'll be fine!
Electronic printers way back then?
So, Gutenberg didn't need to invent a printer in the 15th Century CE?
Old Feb 10, 20, 4:25 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Electronic printers way back then?
So, Gutenberg didn't need to invent a printer in the 15th Century CE?
I;m old enough to remember "handwritten" paper tickets!
Old Feb 10, 20, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by TSparky View Post
Last Thursday when CLT was shut down for thunderstorms and then a tornado, my flight YYZ-CLT was showing on time. Also the incoming flight CLT-YYZ was showing on time even though CLT was shut down and the incoming flight there was heldup somewhere else. When I call the EXP line I was told since they were both showing on time they couldn't change my ticket. This seems like an IT issue or at least an interface issue.

As for the baggage issue in the app, I've noticed the same thing. I'll need to click in to the find my bag link to actually find out the current status. Happened Sun night and last Thu both. Restarting the app/phone doesn't seem to help.
If flight statuses weren't being updated during the severe weather at CLT thats not because of IT issues, its because people including staff had to evacuate from some work areas and id imagine had no access to update FLIFO. Even the control tower had to be evacuated.
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I had similar issues last week with stickers not posting, miles not posting for 2-3 days. Leading up to today the AA app and seat map were showing configuration for a 757, even now 10 minutes before departure still showing 757, flightaware shows an A321. So my seat selection was based on the 757, the AC help desk was heavily suggesting that I take the exit row, but I was sure that the seat I had was another MCE with an empty middle.... nice IT AA.
Old Feb 11, 20, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles View Post
If flight statuses weren't being updated during the severe weather at CLT thats not because of IT issues, its because people including staff had to evacuate from some work areas and id imagine had no access to update FLIFO. Even the control tower had to be evacuated.
ATC.gov was showing that the airport was closed.
I've often heard gate agents say "I can't control what the system says about the flight" when it is showing on time when it is clearly late.
Old Feb 11, 20, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TSparky View Post
ATC.gov was showing that the airport was closed.
I've often heard gate agents say "I can't control what the system says about the flight" when it is showing on time when it is clearly late.
It isn't the GA's fault. If AA ops and dispatch says on time, then it's officially on time.

This is an AA corporate issue. They need to change their philosophy about how to report delays. Heck, the eternal punching bag UA does a far better job, delay, estimated new departure (which is more realistic than fiction) and reason for delay.
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:41 pm
formerly meunger11

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone View Post
With smartphone now losing display of boarding pass on regular basis... might be a good strategy to have a hard copy boarding pass as a supplement.
I can tell you first hand this has saved my wife and I serious headache on multiple occasions during the boarding process at least a dozen times last year, if not more...

We always get a paper boarding pass even after we have used the app to check-in.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV View Post
Not just Visio, but also looking for proficiency in VisiCalc.
You are dating those who were VERY proficient in Visicalc. You had to be super proficient and efficient to make your spreadsheet work with 256k of memory !

Search this Thread
Search Engine: