Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cruel confirmation of AA's ranking as worst airline (inflexible with BE tickets)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruel confirmation of AA's ranking as worst airline (inflexible with BE tickets)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by mkrauss323
I appreciate all these comments. Perhaps I should have clarified two things:

1) I typically fly SWA, and as stated above the situation would have been very different in that case. They don't fly non-stop to Washington, which is why I made the choice to book with AA.

2) My argument isn't a LEGAL one at all; I am not claiming that they are violating their contract with me. What I am claiming is that they are applying their rules rigidly in a situation where I think a compassionate one-time exception would have been warranted. I happen to be a law professor and an attorney. I had given AA a lot of business of late, I had a good reason for missing a flight; this clearly was not a hidden-city abuse or any other kind of abuse. They responded bureaucratically and in an unfeeling way. Not, in my humble opinion (yours may of course differ) how to run an airline.
Only offered as a suggestion:

1. In future, try to book one ways only, at your price. Just in case. She may/will argue again.
2. AA is now all about not moving self-loading cargo, but $, $, and more $$
3. Just because it might make sense in the "legal" world, or the "Common sense" world, it doesn't mean it makes sense in "Airline" world.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Unfortunately Basic Economy tickets come with lots of restrictions.
Anyway, best wishes for your daughter's Supreme Court appearance.

Welcome to FT.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just a note to clarify: when I bought my 18 tickets, the RT was exactly twice the price of the OW ticket. That was visible on the ticket seen by the rep. when I phoned. By informing them in advance that a family issue prevented my taking the outbound flight, I was in essence paying for two flights and flying only one flight. I was allowing them to resell a ticket they had already sold to me. That's how I see it, and I don't think that's an abusive way to see it. [FWIW, and while recognizing that what follows is irrelevant to the rules, I don't think $275 to fly RT GSP/DCA is such a cheapo fare as to justify AA's behavior, and I think booking 18 tickets on AA might have qualified me for a tiny bit of understanding.]
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I’m sorry for your inconvenience, but...

”In essence” is meaningless when AA clearly defines the rules governing a particular fare. It appears you gambled and lost.

see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Theres a lot of useful information here that can help you enhance your travel. And you’ll find similar basic economy tickets on other airlines are equally devoid of flexibility.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
OK.. so people know the rules.. but hope that the company has understanding when the rules dont work for them.
Sorry OP , U understand that you need to be there for a major event,but at this point I would start looking for ways to get back... and there is nothing AA is going to do for you.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:21 am

I would focus on your good fortune (your daughter!) and forget about the few $100 lost and to never to think of it again.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Say "Goodbye, Cruel Airline".
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: pleb
I happen to be a law professor and an attorney.
How is this relevant? Are airlines companies supposed to make exception for law professors and attorneys? As much as I think AA is pretty crappy in general, they did nothing wrong here. SWA has different pricing/business model. You bought AA ticket with AA rules, not SWA ticket.
Dallas49er and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Surely a law professor and attorney is familiar with the fine print?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I happen to be a law professor and an attorney. t
Then you should know better, particularly when you're buying 18 tickets.

I'd also delete the date from your original post. SCOTUS calendars are public, and Orrick isn't stingy about compensating their appellate group. Buy a new ticket.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are lots of reasons to consider AA to be the worst airline in the world but selling you a product that you willingly bought and holding you to the fare rules is not one of them.

And in no way shape or form does attending someone elses professional engagement (no matter how august the forum) come under any sort of compassionate exeception rule especially where the fare rules don't allow changes.

And AA have probbaly oversold the flight already.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Ya think?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You would think so, but remember in any profession 50% of the people are below average!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
In the future, if two one-ways cost the same as a round-trip, just book two one-ways separately. That way, if you ever have to miss the outbound flight, the return ticket won't be cancelled.
Of course, that means 2 change fees if you are not using either ticket. Not an issue with BE as there are no changes permitted
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I appreciate all these comments. Perhaps I should have clarified two things:

1) I typically fly SWA, and as stated above the situation would have been very different in that case. They don't fly non-stop to Washington, which is why I made the choice to book with AA.

2) My argument isn't a LEGAL one at all; I am not claiming that they are violating their contract with me. What I am claiming is that they are applying their rules rigidly in a situation where I think a compassionate one-time exception would have been warranted. I happen to be a law professor and an attorney. I had given AA a lot of business of late, I had a good reason for missing a flight; this clearly was not a hidden-city abuse or any other kind of abuse. They responded bureaucratically and in an unfeeling way. Not, in my humble opinion (yours may of course differ) how to run an airline.
It's a corporation, it doesn't have feelings. To make exceptions like this would defeat the purpose of selling BE tickets. AA also sell less restrictive tickets, and some are even refundable. You chose not to buy those, because you wanted the lowest fare. AA is not unique in its application of the fare rules. Many people have circumstances causing them to not want fly their original booking.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:00 am

I was not asking for a refund, and I was not asking for a change. I was not able to use one leg I had paid for, and wished only to use the other leg I had paid for. I was told to buy it again.

Again, and perhaps ad nauseam, I am not making a legal claim here. I am making an ethical claim here. I am in my 60's, have taken many hundreds of flights, and have occasionally (maybe 3-4 times) been in an unusual situation perhaps not explicitly contemplated by the rules. Southwest always listened. American treated me like chopped liver. Many of you address only the legalities here, and I'm sorry I was unable to communicate that that's not what my post was really about.
"Ethics" have nothing to do with today's airline industry. $ count, while OP may think he/she is important, there is ONE passenger who is paying for HIS/HER trip TODAY,THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, for what you paid for 18 round trips. $ vs "ethics"?

OP is a lawyer. He/she lost going in with a losing case to start. Now he/she is looking for an appeals court.

Best of luck to your daughter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.