Business vs First

Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Business vs First

I am curious as to the differences in "class" for my upcoming flights this summer.
First leg is YYC-DFW and it's listed as Business.
My connection, DFW-PBI is listed as First.

Both are on the same plane type (738) with the same layout.
Both the Business leg and First leg are "R" which codes as Business from what I can see.
Is it just a naming thing because YYC-DFW is "International" and DFW-PBI is Domestic?

If there is in fact a difference in experience or seats or whatnot, could someone kindly let me know what those are?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"Is it just a naming thing because YYC-DFW is "International" and DFW-PBI is Domestic?"

Yes.

On certain routes, AA does indeed offer separate First Class and Business Class cabins. But not on the 737's.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
If you are on a 2-class aircraft, you are in "first" class. You will get whatever service domestic first class gets.

AA has begun using the terms "first class" and "business class" somewhat interchangeably. Not usually on the sales page though, where "First" means the highest class of service on the aircraft and "business" means lie-flat seats whether it is the highest class of service on the aircraft or not. But definitely if you are looking at a fare class on a ticket.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
"business" means lie-flat seats whether it is the highest class of service on the aircraft or not.
this is inaccurate for international flights even if there's no lie flat seats
mvoight and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
International flights are always considered Business no matter the a/c type for the exception of a 3 class a/c in which there’s both First & Business.
Uzzar, neo_781, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Go withguv1976 or newyorkgeorge's answers. They are the correct one. You don't probably need to understand all the other nuances people are trying to throw at you.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by neo_781
Go withguv1976 or newyorkgeorge's answers. They are the correct one. You don't probably need to understand all the other nuances people are trying to throw at you.
​​​​​​C'mon, what would FT be without folks picking minute details apart?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.