Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA Thank you notes: pax trashed several. Worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Thank you notes: pax trashed several. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:12 pm

do you do a nice thing, or give a gift, because it is nice? or because you want something in return?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

As an add on, if you are in first domestic, and want fruit and cheese, please pre order, it's not catered for first.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Platinum
I've flown enough for this to be my fourth straight year of CK. In all of that time, I've received just a few handheld notes... and I cherish every one of them! It's a personal touch that makes me feel special and appreciated, and shows how amazing crew members can be!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mctaste
do you do a nice thing, or give a gift, because it is nice? or because you want something in return?
If you read the original post, it's because I was trying to share the love, but I don't think I will anymore, based on how many disregard the intention
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by skylady
If you read the original post, it's because I was trying to share the love, but I don't think I will anymore, based on how many disregard the intention
I think the problem was doing it for the entire FC cabin. I'd save it for the ones who were friendly, not just existing.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
On one of my flights up in first on AA, the FA went to each passenger and thanked them personally for flying AA & their loyalty. Maybe you can do something like that if you feel most are going to disregard the note?

Also can't claim that the people up front pay more than those in the back, as I have many times paid a lower fare or used miles to sit up front than most last minute travelers in the back did.

That being said, I've also been on an AA flight where the AA gave little notes/candy to the EXP's all over the plane. Personally didn't really like that as me and the other passengers kind of knew we didn't matter. I like my parent company's approach better of not alienating any passenger and giving them all a great experience over show more affection towards certain individuals.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I recently worked a trip where the purser and I both wrote personalized thank you notes to our FC customers. It felt good to do it, since we had a really nice flight, no delays, no issues, and we had fun. I was very disappointed after , to see how many of them ended up on the floor after the flight. Does this gesture mean anything to you guys, or should I discontinue thanking my customers? Feeling a little sad about it. I don't expect them to carry them home, but to just trash our gesture, well, that kinda hurts.
Coincidentally, I was recently on a trip where I got a very nice note from the purser, which was a nice touch since it was clearly personalized based on our interactions during the flight. I appreciated the gesture and thanked the purser, as did several other customers. It wasn’t the same flight, though, as you referenced a 787 and I was on a 77W. I didn’t see any left behind, fwiw. So I say keep it up, I think many people do appreciate them.

ETA: this stood out to me enough that I mentioned it in a separate post about the flight, so it was something that I felt merited sharing without being prompted
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
I recently worked a trip where the purser and I both wrote personalized thank you notes to our FC customers. It felt good to do it, since we had a really nice flight, no delays, no issues, and we had fun. I was very disappointed after , to see how many of them ended up on the floor after the flight. Does this gesture mean anything to you guys, or should I discontinue thanking my customers? Feeling a little sad about it. I don't expect them to carry them home, but to just trash our gesture, well, that kinda hurts.
Even though your gesture was genuine, keep in mind that FC is a class of service. It does not mean everyone flying in F have class.

Tangential - Reminds me years back in a BA flight from LHR-MAD, there was an issue with the plane resulting in a 2 hr delay. The captain came out and walked the aisle stopping every few rows to personally apologize to everyone for the delay.
rickg523 and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
I think the problem was doing it for the entire FC cabin. I'd save it for the ones who were friendly, not just existing.
I could just see the threads on FT - "My seatmate and several others got personal thank you notes but I'm EXP and didn't get one!"
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:53 am

I'm shocked at the number of people who say they save them. Seriously, what do you do with them? Do you just have a box of letters notes and cards you've received since birth? What value is there in hoarding this stuff? I just don't understand it.
jcf27 and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
I would love to get one of these and would appreciate it. I would take it with me off the plane, probably share it with my wife who also travels a lot, but then recycle it at the next opportunity. It definitely would mean something to me.

I don't fly enough miles to be up front often, but do stay many nights in hotels. Years ago I lived in the Fremont Marriott Silicon Valley a week or two each month. I was on a first name basis with the Front Desk, Managers, Doorman, and the Concierge Lounge staff. Heck, even some of the regular travelers. I receive some little birthday surprises, lots of personal conversations, comped food and gifts, etc. It all made it just a bit nicer being away from home so much. The best gift of all? When I received a promotion it meant that I was transferring and would not be traveling to Fremont as much. I checked in and was visiting with Doorman Jim and Manager Jim and shared the news. The last evening of my stay I received a complimentary dinner in the restaurant. With it was a Greeting card wishing me congratulations on my promotion. Mike and the team had passed the card around and it had signatures from 15+ staff, most whom I knew, others I didn't. It might not seem like much, but it was very touching to this business traveler. And I still have that card.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:19 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I'm shocked at the number of people who say they save them. Seriously, what do you do with them? Do you just have a box of letters notes and cards you've received since birth? What value is there in hoarding this stuff? I just don't understand it.
I got one the first time I flew CX in F HKG-LAX and I saved it in my Travel Mementos box.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Yes. Very much appreciated. It's a "no cost" way to show you value your customers. There's one FA at PSA who always provides these. She's been my FA several times, always leaves a note, and always remembers me. It's much appreciated!
AANYC1981 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I have received maybe four or five of these notes from AA (and even once on UA back in the 1990s, when they were still competitive). Do I keep them forever? No. But of course I take them off the plane and they, along with all cards and handwritten notes live in a large silver bowl on the piano for one year until the following tax season. That's when everything gets edited. Most does get dumped. You'd be surprised at how many people will leaf through that bowl during cocktail hour.

OTOH, I do have some highly personal mementos from the 1970s and 1980s as a kid -- telegrams, personal letters. Long distance used to cost $$$. And I keep a few items from each year since then. They take up altogether the space of a book box. (I digitized the old Kodachromes years ago). The personal ephemera and Christmas ornaments are really the only things I do keep forever. Books and artwork go through an occasional purge. Ditto with furniture and clothing. But the truly personal stuff gets kept.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Kimpton InTouch
Skylady---I can assure you that these are appreciated. Please don't stop. I've gotten these a handful of times and it always makes me feel special. Many times I've chatted with the FAs and they even incorporate some portion of the conversation in the note cards (such as enjoy your vacation time in XYZ). I will be honest and say that I hadn't thought about how i handled these after getting them, but realizing that it could seem as ungrateful, I now know and will be more sensitive.
skylady and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.