Why do you bother with AA?

Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA PPro
You read a lot of drama about AA on this site and elsewhere, but for my part in my travels I have had a lot more good people from the phones to the desks to on board than bad. I did a status match to Delta last year which cost me re-qualifying with AA for 2020 with the shift in spending. Delta overall has nicer domestic narrow body planes and very nice people, however there is no way it is a big enough difference that I would take a connection through ATL constantly vs a direct flight with AA. Plus AA Gold is a much more advantageous "base" elite level than DL Silver in my experience and Skymiles vs AAdvantage miles isn't even a contest for value and availability. I'll keep flying AA happily where-ever it is direct to do so and just try to avoid LUS planes.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by enviroian
I choose AA because I travel frequently for work out of DFW and am hub captive to AA despite my despise for them.
Are you choosing AA or are you hub captive? Do you realize that your sentence is a massive inconsistency?

I will answer the first question above. You (or your employer via their corporate contract/travel policy) are choosing AA. You are NOT hub captive. No one is.

Originally Posted by dallaspopo
I live in DFW and AA rules the world.
No, they don't. They don't even rule the Metroplex. There's a big WN operation about 20 minutes from KDFW and even KDFW has plenty of flights not operated by AA.

No one is hub captive unless they choose to be.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Herb687
Are you choosing AA or are you hub captive? Do you realize that your sentence is a massive inconsistency?

I will answer the first question above. You (or your employer via their corporate contract/travel policy) are choosing AA. You are NOT hub captive. No one is.

No, they don't. They don't even rule the Metroplex. There's a big WN operation about 20 minutes from KDFW and even KDFW has plenty of flights not operated by AA.

No one is hub captive unless they choose to be.
sorry I donít have the time to connect on another airline.

Again, Iím hub captive. What canít you understand about that?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
sorry I donít have the time to connect on another airline.
You referenced a trip to ATL in another thread. THREE different airlines fly QDF-ATL nonstop.

No one is hub captive.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You referenced a trip to ATL in another thread. THREE different airlines fly QDF-ATL nonstop.

No one is hub captive.
thats one data point. 90% of my destinations would require a connection on UA or DL.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thats one data point. 90% of my destinations would require a connection on UA or DL.
ATL, CHI, DEN, LAS, LAX, NYC, SFO all come to mind as QDF O&Ds with three carriers flying nonstop. I'm sure there are more. Maybe FLL (NK Big Front Seat for less than AA Y?)

The point remains: you are CHOOSING to fly AA nonstop rather than connect on DL/UA/WN. You're not hub captive.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ATL, CHI, DEN, LAS, LAX, NYC, SFO all come to mind as QDF O&Ds with three carriers flying nonstop. I'm sure there are more. Maybe FLL (NK Big Front Seat for less than AA Y?)

The point remains: you are CHOOSING to fly AA nonstop rather than connect on DL/UA/WN. You're not hub captive.
atlanta is the only city in your magical list I visit.

I CHOOSE to fly AA because I canít connect to a city where a non stop is available.

Dude, give it a rest already.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum, American Gold
Originally Posted by dia1
Though my little local airport now has one United connection, AA offers the best schedule and connections. Sigh.
also the ONLY reason I fly AA is they are only carrier to SBY. Flew Delta almost exclusively until July and didn't have issues. Since switching to AA the majority of my flights are delayed, have a mechanical issue, or I just end up canceling and going the next day. It's a sharp contrast for me between Delta and American. American is a lousy airline. Many years ago before all of the mergers I flew US and AA and remember good experiences. Since the mergers, not so much.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michaelaeaston
also the ONLY reason I fly AA is they are only carrier to SBY.
Only one airline serving your local airport: THAT's being captive.
Living in ATL or DFW or MSP or SLC or DEN is not!

Last edited by Herb687; Feb 6, 2020 at 5:28 pm Reason: syntax
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Started with AA because I was TWA elite and they took all my Aviator points.

DFW, ORD, PHX hubs are good for us.

Status and credit card points.

We fly exclusively J or F now and fares are usually competitive.

No major complaints after 19 years with AA.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:56 pm

I hate to tell you this but as one who flies the three big airlines an equal amount and frequently they all have equal issues. Delta is the best at responding to issues but has its fair share to respond to

so I pick the airline that has the quickest flight at the most convenient time. If that happens to be American that is why I am flying american.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I'd never get an upgrade on UA flying out of SFO since I would never be able to make Global Services, and SFO adds a lot of time to domestic flights vs SJC, and is UA actually better than AA? If I didn't fly enough to get mid tier status, I'd probably be flying WN, but I do fly enough to get mid tier status, so I want my upgrades. SkyTeam is trash, and DL basically murdered my childhood by shutting down the Northwest NRT fifth freedom hub. AS's partners are quickly disintegrating, and they reward my international flying less than AA, even though most of the AA partners I fly on are also AS partners.

Therefore AA. I get to sit in the pointy end of domestic flights most of the time (5/6 upgrades cleared so far this year), I have oneworld lounge access which makes long haul Y a bit more tolerable, I get more elite credit for my international premium cabin partner flights, and most AA employees are actually friendly if you are too.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum, American Gold
Only one airline serving your local airport: THAT's being captive.
Living in ATL or DFW or MSP or SLC or DEN is not!
Darn right. Although I think I am going to change my travel because of so many poor experiences on AA and fly Delta to PHL and then car service to my house down in southern Delaware.

I have also found it very interesting--after many years of predominately Delta flying--that AA crews in first seem to overall provide much less service and want to pack up much earlier than Delta crews do.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:17 pm

Because I live in Chicago and my main two options are United or AA. Given the choice, I'll pick AA every single time. Delta is the best of the big three in my opinion but they all pale in comparison to some of the foreign carriers.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't fly that often and my routes are mostly from LAX to JFK, LHR/Europe, occasionally DFW, and a few other trips here and there. AA works for me because:

- I really like the A321T flights. Y-J mileage upgrades are cheap and usually clear. If they don't row 11 is pretty nice for domestic coach. Flagship Lounges are also a big perk on that route.
- Most of my other destinations have nonstop flights from LAX or BUR.
- Due to my limited/specific travel pattern I have yet to set foot on an Oasis plane
- I actually like connecting at LHR since I can go to the Paul Smith in T3 or T5 where stuff is cheaper than in the US

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.