Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Observations on Buy Up to F Offers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:52 am

Looking at my upcoming offers, they are definitely not worth it. One is for $190 to upgrade EWR-CLT (is there even service on this flight?), and the other to upgrade ORD-DFW-LAX for $684 (321s so no lie flat seats; booked in lie flat F for the LAX-DFW return leg on the 787).
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:05 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
On the flip side of the above comment, I'm being offered $93 to upgrade to F on a PHL-MCO flight on a 787. Only paid $98 for the ticket (one way) long before the equipment was upgraded from a 321. It's only 2 hours, and there is no meal service. Plus I'm already in a PE seat (sold as MCE on domestic legs). I'm going to stay put, though it's an enticing offer to enjoy the hard product of 787 business class.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
On the flip side of the above comment, I'm being offered $93 to upgrade to F on a PHL-MCO flight on a 787. Only paid $98 for the ticket (one way) long before the equipment was upgraded from a 321. It's only 2 hours, and there is no meal service. Plus I'm already in a PE seat (sold as MCE on domestic legs). I'm going to stay put, though it's an enticing offer to enjoy the hard product of 787 business class.
Now that's a deal, although ostensibly if there are so many empty F seats that they're willing to sell them so cheap, you can probably get the upgrade for 2 500 mile upgrades (if you're still Platinum).
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:20 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Now that's a deal, although ostensibly if there are so many empty F seats that they're willing to sell them so cheap, you can probably get the upgrade for 2 500 mile upgrades (if you're still Platinum).
Well, today I see it's gone up to $161 from $93. But EF shows same as yesterday - C1 J7, and the seat map actually has 9 unassigned out of 20. I'm pretty sure yesterday there were 8 unassigned. There are 3 of us traveling (my 2 teenage daughters and I). I did put in for the 500 milers, but it would only be me + 1 companion. So if that happens, I'll stay in MCE and send both girls up front. They've never flown F, so it will be a nice experience if the upgrades clear.
Spanish and TBRIC like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:33 am

I see a $175 upgrade offer on my upcoming ORD-LAX flight on the A321neo. Seat map is pretty full in economy but wide open in first. Good deal?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I have several trips upcoming, and I have been checking them every week or two to see what the offers are. It appears that the offers have become a little cheaper and a little more aggressive for a few of my trips. For example, I upgraded DFW-GDL for $112 and OKC-LAX-SLC-LAX-OKC for only $63! on the outbound and $82! on the return. The other benefit is that the seat maps are wide open, and I was able to select my favorite seat on the two long CR7 flights, 2A. Seat 2A makes a long CRJ flight more than bearable. That is much cheaper than the stickers on the SLC trip. OKC-CLT-BGR is asking $175; I decided to let that one go and take my chances on sticker upgrades.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:00 am
HGH

On a mid June roundtrip direct flight to CLT-DEN, our upgrade offers were $90 each. (both flights were on a Wednesday). The offer popped up on the app as soon as I checked in each time, but not before. We took those, and our MCE seat selection fees were refunded by the next day.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:51 am

That is a crazy good deal on a flight that length.

Originally Posted by HGH
On a mid June roundtrip direct flight to CLT-DEN, our upgrade offers were $90 each. (both flights were on a Wednesday). The offer popped up on the app as soon as I checked in each time, but not before. We took those, and our MCE seat selection fees were refunded by the next day.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
“The other benefit is that the seat maps are wide open, and I was able to select my favorite seat on the two long CR7 flights, 2A. Seat 2A makes a long CRJ flight more than bearable. “

It does. My favorite seat on the CR7/CR9 as well. If only the overhead would hold a standard rollaboard it would be perfection.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Seeing an example on an upcoming flight where the app is offering to upgrade for $335 and the website is offering $97. The offers look identical except for the fine print. The $335 offer T&C says miles are earned based on the new ticket, and the $97 offer says miles are earned based on the original ticket. So, seems like the app is offering upfares, while the website is offering upgrades, if I'm interpreting correctly.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by msr0013
Seeing an example on an upcoming flight where the app is offering to upgrade for $335 and the website is offering $97. The offers look identical except for the fine print. The $335 offer T&C says miles are earned based on the new ticket, and the $97 offer says miles are earned based on the original ticket. So, seems like the app is offering upfares, while the website is offering upgrades, if I'm interpreting correctly.
Ooh, sneaky! It seems you are correct. That is a bummer, as one of the nice parts about doing the upfare was the extra EQMs. Even more oddly, it seems to matter whether the flight is nonstop or connecting. Reading between the lines, it seems like the nonstop upgrade is a "sticker upgrade paid in advance", while the connecting upgrade is a real upfare.

If your trip is nonstop:

• The original fare rules will apply along with the conditions of carriage and terms and conditions.
  • If you cancel your trip, you can request a refund to trip credit for the value of your upgrade.
  • If we cancel your trip or make a schedule change that results in a change of more than 4 hours to your departure time and you cancel due to this schedule change, you can request a refund to original form of payment.
  • Your upgrade will be non-changeable if you choose to change your flights.
  • Any AAdvantage® benefits and mileage accrual will be based on the original ticket (excluding the upgrade purchase).

If your trip includes connecting flights:

• The new fare rules will apply (and could be more restrictive) along with the conditions of carriage and terms and conditions.
  • Any AAdvantage® benefits and mileage accrual will be based on the new ticket.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:41 pm

The flight that I upgraded between Dallas and Guadalajara was nonstop, and I did not read the fine print. However, it appears that in this case it was a paid up-fare, because I earned based on a paid first class ticket, including double elite qualifying miles.

The two upgrades that I purchased on future itineraries are both connecting, so I guess I'm okay. However, I will read the fine print very carefully from now on.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
The flight that I upgraded between Dallas and Guadalajara was nonstop, and I did not read the fine print. However, it appears that in this case it was a paid up-fare, because I earned based on a paid first class ticket, including double elite qualifying miles.

The two upgrades that I purchased on future itineraries are both connecting, so I guess I'm okay. However, I will read the fine print very carefully from now on.
Did you do it through app or website? My current hypothesis is that app upgrades are always true upfares, which aligns with the fine print and would explain why they are more expensive.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:01 pm

The flight to Guadalajara was done on the website, but this was about 3 weeks ago. The very cheap ones to and from salt lake City were completed on the app. This was done a few days ago. Coincidentally, I did it while I was on the flight from Dallas to guadalajara. So this certainly doesn't do anything to disprove the hypothesis.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:04 am

So I did one of these cheaper upgrades through the website and completed the (nonstop) flight. Price was right, as it was about the same as the sticker cost. All my prior upgrade purchases had been done through the app and were “normal” upfares and earned the same as if I has just bought into F.

This one was definitely different; it was neither treated as an upfare nor as a “sticker” upgrade. As noted in the fine print, I earned no extra award miles beyond my Y ticket, and disappointingly the fee to upgrade did not count toward EQDs. But on the bright side, the flight posted as full fare J class, so I earned triple EQMs. If that is the norm, it opens the door to some interesting mileage run possibilities.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.