Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA codeshares with G3 / GOL, adds MIA & seasonal GIG flights,

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA codeshares with G3 / GOL, adds MIA & seasonal GIG flights,

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:12 am
Original Poster

AA responds to Delta (GOL codeshare, additional MIA flying)

Looks like AA and GOL are going to start codesharing. AA is also adding a seasonal MIA-GIG 787 frequency as well as increasing frequencies (year round) to BNA, BOS, IAH, MCO (moving from 7 to 12 daily), RDU and TPA.

FORT WORTH, Texas and RIO DE JANEIRO — American Airlines and GOL, Brazil’s largest airline, today announced a new reciprocal codeshare agreement, giving customers access to 20 new destinations in South America. American will also increase service from Miami (MIA) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG), adding a second daily flight this winter. The airline also plans to provide more opportunities to bring customers to Latin America through MIA by adding 12 flights from six U.S. cities.

American’s expansion in Miami and Latin America includes:
  • Service to new destinations in South America not currently served by American. These flights — operated by GOL — include service to Asuncion, Paraguay, and other destinations in Brazil.
  • GOL codeshare established on American routes in the United States, paired with frequent flier earning and redemption on both airlines soon after approval.
  • Increased flying out of MIA, including an additional flight from MIA to GIG during the peak winter months on a Boeing 787-8 — one of American’s first 787-8s operating out of MIA.
  • 12 more year-round, daily domestic frequencies, including increased flying from Nashville (BNA), Boston (BOS), Houston (IAH), Orlando (MCO), Raleigh-Durham (RDU) and Tampa (TPA) to MIA. — AA news.

Newsroom - American Airlines and GOL Announce Codeshare Agreement to Offer More Daily Service Between South America and the U.S. than Any Other Airline Partnership - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 4, 2020 at 9:12 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
They used to be hooked up with GOL years ago. I used to take a connecting flight on GOL within Brazil when I would go down there.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
The least surprising move as possible, but at least it is now official.
Glad to see this happening to claw back at least a few of the secondary and tertiary destinations that LATAM covered - I've used LATAM to get to CUZ and PUQ neither of which come back to the route map with this announcement, but it's a start. It would be nice to know more like which routes and destinations will be available (my Google skills weren't up to snuff to find that).
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bchandler02
They used to be hooked up with GOL years ago. I used to take a connecting flight on GOL within Brazil when I would go down there.
Then DL bought part of GOL resulting in that ending.

DL has definitely played puppet master in South America. However, despite the machinations, AA still has maintained a very dominant position. GOL should add a lot for AA
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Certainly glad to see Gol coming, will make Brazil a lot easier after LA leaves. I guess for Peru and Colombia, they could be courting Viva. Codeshares and interlining with LCCs has become a lot more common these days so certainly not out of the question. Would fill in a lot of holes in those countries as well.

Hope we'll see reciprocal benefits with G3 as well since they actually have domestic lounges.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AA is basically picking up Delta’s scraps....way to go US Airways....
bchandler02 and FAA1996 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I've flown the locals in Brazil and like Gol - they have a good operation in Fortaleza and we've of course done runs from RJ to SP. Wonder what this will do for the AA operation in Orlando? Brazilians love going there, and Portuguese is part of the tri-lingual signage at the airport.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Silver EK Skywards
This was expected so no surprises there. Gol is fine domestically but in no way this replaces the loss of Latam. LA had important int'l flights: LHR, CDG, MEX, MIA, etc that we used to get more EQDs on AA as a OW partner. I'm hoping that under this new partnership we get at least reciprocal status recognition with Smiles.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by george 3
I've flown the locals in Brazil and like Gol - they have a good operation in Fortaleza and we've of course done runs from RJ to SP. Wonder what this will do for the AA operation in Orlando? Brazilians love going there, and Portuguese is part of the tri-lingual signage at the airport.
Very true. Hopefully better options for Fortaleza.

And yes going to the theme parks sometimes you feel like you're in Brasil!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
American’s expansion in Miami and Latin America includes:
  • 12 more year-round, daily domestic frequencies, including increased flying from Nashville (BNA), Boston (BOS), Houston (IAH), Orlando (MCO), Raleigh-Durham (RDU) and Tampa (TPA) to MIA.
Has it been announced when these additional frequencies will be on sale?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by neo_781
Very true. Hopefully better options for Fortaleza.

And yes going to the theme parks sometimes you feel like you're in Brasil!
Yes ! I always get to practice my Portuguese at MCO even though most Brasileiros like to practice their English.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by revorgap
Has it been announced when these additional frequencies will be on sale?
They’re already loaded and on sale.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Djokison
They’re already loaded and on sale.
Thanks, can see they finally loaded them now.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by revorgap
Thanks, can see they finally loaded them now.
Ah, I didn’t notice you posted this on Friday. They were loaded over the weekend sat-to-sun.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Any word on earning / AA status recognition on GOL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.