Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Incorrect status showing on AA (should have dropped)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incorrect status showing on AA (should have dropped)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I had a RT this week that showed my old/expired status on the outbound but my new lower status on the return. Flight booked last month as a RT. They must have caught it mid trip?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Could be. Or could be something as simple as a seat change. Anything that touches the record will likely cause the status to adjust.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Too bad my trip in a couple of weeks is all F...
Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Often1
Could be. Or could be something as simple as a seat change. Anything that touches the record will likely cause the status to adjust.
I thought about that. But am fairly certain I didn’t change anything. Maybe I did and the would explain a lot.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by w1jim
Interesting, I've been EXP for the past few years but in 2019 i flew a paltry 60k miles and dropped to PLT (oh the shame) for 2020.

This week I flew from BOS-SFO-BOS and I didn't get an upgrade (I was way down the list and wasn't going to use my 500 mile upgrade coupons anyway) yet I was boarded with group #2 on each flight and the FA showed on their handheld thingy that I was EXP. As such they gave me the free sandwich, a big smile and greeted me by name.

I wonder if it was because I booked the flight while I was still EXP, they were upgrading my status for free or (most likely) just a glitch in the system.

I'll be interested to see what happens on my next trip.
Originally Posted by SamirD
That was probably the case as I booked a flight with status and then was still treated at that level even though my status has lapsed months ago due to a single flight not being counted.
Yes. Whatever status you had when you book a flight sticks to it unless something changes (reticketing, equipment change, et al). Which is why, if you go up in status after booking you want to call AA to get the new status attached.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Which is why, if you go up in status after booking you want to call AA to get the new status attached.
This is good to know. Thank you for the tip!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Centurion
SSShhh......Yes you can have EXP status after it expires if you ticket prior to expiration. It can even work on free upgrades for a few days...Now some idiot blogger is going to write something and take credit for this well known fact on flyertalk. I love flyertalk I hate idiot bloggers.
I assume/hope your post was a little tongue in cheek ...

Elite Benefits After My Status Expires

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR ELITE STATUS BENEFITS EXPIRE BEFORE TRAVEL
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Had a nice surprise in Sydney this week.. am currently Plt Pro..boarding pass still showed emerald status.from 2019.so enjoyed last breakfast at the first lounge.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Went from PlatPro in 2019 to regular Plat in 2020. Booked a flight in December, outbound Jan31 return Feb06. The Jan31 flights showed "Complimentary" upgrade requests (both over 500 miles) as PPro is entitled, but the return showed that I would be required to use stickers as is the norm for Plat.

All BPs reflected status at the time of flight (PPro on Jan31, Plat on Feb06).

Not that it mattered, as a Plat I was in the 30s on both upgrade lists, didn't check any bags, didn't need to change flights on the day of travel, and Group 3 is still Group 3. I'll miss actually having a chance at upgrades that aren't flights to/from low demand outstations.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The baggage allowance is explicit AA policy.

In some cases, you won't have to pay the fees for up to 3 bags. If you qualify for complimentary bags based on elite status, the benefits are based on your highest status level at time of ticketing or check-in.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I'm pretty sure that when you earn status, it's good through 1/31 on the following year...it does not expire on 1/1.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Just one data point. On my last day of EXP status, 1/31/18, I booked several trips going as late as the following June. All of them still showed me as having EXP status on the boarding pass. In February I was still able to use the CX First class lounges even though I was just traveling in business. In June the RJ lounge admitted me because they still saw my EXP status in the booking even though I was traveling in economy. Not sure if it always works this was but it did for me.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by arabiamark
Just one data point. On my last day of EXP status, 1/31/18, I booked several trips going as late as the following June. All of them still showed me as having EXP status on the boarding pass. In February I was still able to use the CX First class lounges even though I was just traveling in business. In June the RJ lounge admitted me because they still saw my EXP status in the booking even though I was traveling in economy. Not sure if it always works this was but it did for me.

Buddy of mine (dropped to Plat status from EXP) told me over drinks last night that his reservation made as EXP for a flight tomorrow must have gotten flagged in the system. Up until yesterday, he was able to see that the upgrade requests were complimentary. Well, last night he shows me his reservation in the App and his one of his upgrade requests now requires two e-500's and the other one is complimentary as the flight is sub-500 miles.

He and I were just traveling together to/from SFO to Dubai at the end of last month as EXPs. But on our return, the Dubai, London flight on BA was delayed 2+ hours. When we arrived at the airport and obtained our boarding passed, his Dubai-Long leg listed him as Sapphire for just that leg. Upon landing at LHR, we both were upgraded to J as EXP for the London SFO flight. But then again, when there was a delay with our LAX-SFO flight, his status dropped to Platinum. He wasn't even on the upgrade list either!!

Crazy!!!
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:16 pm

Due to a processing error that occurred on February 1, your account was awarded an incorrect elite status. We've updated your account on February 12, 2020 to reflect your correct AAdvantageŽ status earned during the 2019 qualification year.

We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this error may have caused.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:19 pm

Status given and then removed

Received an email back at the beginning of the month stating that I had qualified for the next tier of AA status (Platinum). as I knew I wouldn't be getting enough segments for the next year I started flying on my primary airline (United).

Received the following email today, stating that they granted me the status in error and had corrected it - I am now back down to gold.

Do I have a leg to stand on in complaining about the removed status, or should I just move on with my life and use Delta for my backup flights as needed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.