Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

5 hours between flights in Miami, not on same ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Should 5 hours be enough time to change planes at Miami airport? I'm about to book a flight from Orlando to Miami and one option is a American Airlines flight that lands at 12.45pm and our already booked AA flight from Miami to London leaves at 6pm. It's Tuesday. I realize it would be on two different tickets and we'll have checked in luggage. Travelling with European passport. There are flights with longer transfer times available, should I book one of those or is 5 hours enough?

Do you know if AA would be able to check us in in Orlando to the Miami-London flight so that our luggage would go all the way to the final destination? Can reservations be compined like that?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mimosa_79
Should 5 hours be enough time to change planes at Miami airport? I'm about to book a flight from Orlando to Miami and one option is a American Airlines flight that lands at 12.45pm and our already booked AA flight from Miami to London leaves at 6pm. It's Tuesday. I realize it would be on two different tickets and we'll have checked in luggage. Travelling with European passport. There are flights with longer transfer times available, should I book one of those or is 5 hours enough?

Do you know if AA would be able to check us in in Orlando to the Miami-London flight so that our luggage would go all the way to the final destination? Can reservations be compined like that?
AA will not through check luggage on separate tickets. Even AA to AA
Great Circle Mapper

AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
5 hrs is plenty of time. As mentioned AA will not check your bags through, but that still gives you ample time to grab your bags and check in again. Nothing to worry about at all.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
5 hours - more than enough time.

Through checked luggage - not allowed by AA. Collect your bags from the baggage claim and then go to the check in counters to check your bags for itinerary #2 .
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: AA : EXP / AR : ORO
5 hours Domestic>International at MIA is more than ok, even with checked luggage.
Also, through checking of luggage in 2 different reservations is not allowed.
For personal experience, even if check-in agent at MCO offers to do it, I would decline and pick it up in MIA and check it to LHR.
In 3 ocassions agents said they could do it, tags showed final destinations, but when I got to those places (PTY, SJO & EZE), lugagge didn't show up (ended up coming 2~3 days later).
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I connected two weeks ago in 40 minutes and that included customs and immigration.

5 hours??
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
They won't check your bags through, but if the first flight is so late that you miss your second ticket, they will rebook you as if it were a connection. 🤷‍♂️
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:19 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
It's possible to have two different tickets in a single pnr. I've not done it personally, but it would interesting to call AA - assume they issued the award, and ask if they can book the mco-mia leg in the award pnr and issue the revenue ticket from there. If the answer is yes, then they will be able to check luggage through.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The issue is potential weather which is why 5 hours is a good idea. Depending on time of year. Thunderstorms could stop MCO but not effect MIA.

I always like to know that there is a flight after mine that would still get me in on time in a case like this in case of mechanical.

There's another thread that says you would be protected if you miss your flight due to AA not getting out of MCO on time, so that may not be an issue (that thread suggested that having the old policy wording guidance with you in case of misconnect helped - not the newest one, which doesn't apply to separate PNRs). Here's that thread:AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR (read the Wiki for the languange).

I've done what you did once, and next time I'm spending the night before in Miami, enjoying a day there first.

Last edited by beachfan; Feb 2, 2020 at 9:38 am
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mimosa_79

5 hours is plenty. In fact, even if your MCO-MIA got cancelled or delayed you'd still have enough time to rent a car and drive to MIA to make your connection to LHR with a comfortable amount of time to return your car and check your bags.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
5 hours is plenty. In fact, even if your MCO-MIA got cancelled or delayed you'd still have enough time to rent a car and drive to MIA to make your connection to LHR with a comfortable amount of time to return your car and check your bags.
Since this is an AA-AA situation, if MCO-MIA gets cancelled, AA can rebook the OP at MCO, such that he might be routed through a city other than MIA.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:22 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
How about driving from Orlando?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I would do it, but that's me. Five hours is more than enough, and AA should protect you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.