FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Where will all the extra planes be flying with China cancellations? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2007053-where-will-all-extra-planes-flying-china-cancellations.html)

cbrown5294 Jan 31, 2020 8:34 pm

Where will all the extra planes be flying with China cancellations?

Now with quite a few extra planes not flying to China I wonder if AA will reassign them to some domestic routes ?

sdsearch Jan 31, 2020 9:41 pm

I don't know if this these China cancellations are for long enough to choose domestic routes to assign them to. It's not necessarily even long enough to serve as a way to recover sooner from the MAX grounding, since the MAX grounding is extremely likely to outlast the China cancellations, especially if there is quick success with a vaccine or very effective treatment development. (There are already medical teams working on both those fronts.)

I guess maybe they could park them at hubs and keep them in mind when there are oversold intra-hub flights where using a bigger plane would solve the problem. But I don't know if that would work given that you'd need different and bigger crew for the bigger plane.

Are these all brand new planes, or are any of them planes scheduled for retrofit? if the latter, they could just move the schedule ahead on the retrofits.

econometrics Feb 5, 2020 7:46 pm

This, most likely:

I do wonder, however, if some equipment up-gauges will happen. E.g. 77Ws to TYO instead of 772s?

GunsOfNavarone Feb 5, 2020 8:33 pm

They are all going to be CLT based. Chairman Parker will use the 77X and 78X to highlight the world class hub CLT to Delta and United fliers.

New widebody routes from CLT using the China fleet:

CLT- DTW
CLT- MSP
CLT ATL
CLT BOS
CLT DEN
CLT SFO

And CLT ORD will be Twin Otters and Casa C-212

ijgordon Feb 5, 2020 10:15 pm

LIT-NRT?

econometrics Feb 5, 2020 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 32038352)
LIT-NRT?

That’s so past decade.

It’s LIT-HND now.

Shawn02139 Feb 6, 2020 7:48 am

Maybe the shuffling will allow them to restore hourly frequency on the DCA-BOS shuttle...

ebuck Feb 6, 2020 8:11 am

What happens with the flight crews that were scheduled for these flights?

work2fly Feb 6, 2020 8:29 am

Originally Posted by ebuck (Post 32039729)
What happens with the flight crews that were scheduled for these flights?

Lots of shuffleboard and early bird dinners :D

mvoight Feb 6, 2020 8:33 am

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 (Post 32018807)
Now with quite a few extra planes not flying to China I wonder if AA will reassign them to some domestic routes ?

DFW-PIA, because I need more legroom, although a DFW-LED flight would be useful

GrumpyYoungMan Feb 6, 2020 9:11 am

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 32039793)
Lots of shuffleboard and early bird dinners :D

You win for the day. :tu:

skydve1 Feb 6, 2020 9:16 am

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone (Post 32038106)
And CLT ORD will be Twin Otters and Casa C-212

I wish. I would be the first to book some of those flights.
Those were some of my favorite 'novelty' planes from when I used to jump a ton. There's nothing like running out of the back of a casa at 15k! :cool:

GlobalMatt Feb 6, 2020 9:36 am

AA just announced that China cancellations will be extended through March 27, 2020 (specifically LAX-HKG) but DFW-HKG is expected to resume Feb 21, 2020. (As reported by CNBC just now)

aztimm Feb 6, 2020 9:47 am

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 32038429)
That’s so past decade.

It’s LIT-HND now.

I think the latest speculation is LIT-WGA :p

jsieds Feb 6, 2020 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Shawn02139 (Post 32039647)
Maybe the shuffling will allow them to restore hourly frequency on the DCA-BOS shuttle...

Please and ... is with deleting the 5:30 PM DCA-BOS shuttle.