Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where will all the extra planes be flying with China cancellations?

Where will all the extra planes be flying with China cancellations?

Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I hear there are some routes ex-JFK they could pick back up.....oh wait thats all blamed on the MAX issues and the now done runway construction 🙄
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
This, most likely: https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1223691201695703040

I do wonder, however, if some equipment up-gauges will happen. E.g. 77Ws to TYO instead of 772s?
That's a REAL up-gauge!
Look, Olympic Games are on the horizon! Larger planes, more profits!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTT | IHG PLT| Hertz 5 Star | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
I recall years back (15+ maybe) reading in an industry magazine that airlines generate more revenue from cargo than pax, especially on the widebodies. Is that still the case? Was it ever the case? If so, wouldn't AA want (need?) to fly their schedule just for the cargo business?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTT | IHG PLT| Hertz 5 Star | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
I recall years back (15+ maybe) reading in an industry magazine that airlines generate more revenue from cargo than pax, especially on the widebodies. Is that still the case? Was it ever the case? If so, wouldn't AA want (need?) to fly their schedule just for the cargo business?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAir_head
AA had $42 billion of passenger revenue in 2019 and less than $900 million of cargo revenue, so it isn't even close.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...it991q4-19.htm

There could be some specific routes where cargo is critical to the profitability of the route.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by AAir_head
I recall years back (15+ maybe) reading in an industry magazine that airlines generate more revenue from cargo than pax, especially on the widebodies. Is that still the case?
No.
Was it ever the case?
No.

One might be able to pick through years and years of route-level data to find the odd segment here and there (and there would likely be a big directional imbalance) that had more cargo revenue than passenger revenue but categorically cargo revenue has never been close to passenger revenue in its importance to passenger airlines.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by skydve1
I wish. I would be the first to book some of those flights.
Those were some of my favorite 'novelty' planes from when I used to jump a ton. There's nothing like running out of the back of a casa at 15k!
At 15k you were a HAHO/ HALO jumper. Very cool...... My last fixed wing jump was out of a Casa C-212. I was the last out, missed the drop zone, and ended up in a farmer's pile of hay. My only good result from missing a DZ.
deeruck likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
At 15k you were a HAHO/ HALO jumper. Very cool...... My last fixed wing jump was out of a Casa C-212. I was the last out, missed the drop zone, and ended up in a farmer's pile of hay. My only good result from missing a DZ.
I've done one from 25k out of a King Air. I was in the last group out, and we spent about 22k (almost 3 mins) tracking back to the DZ (we made it).
We had to breathe oxygen from about 12k until just before exit to avoid hypoxia. It was the same oxygen system used on the commercial planes... and it's true that the bag does not inflate even though oxygen is flowing! Everytime I hear that phrase, I remember that king air jump!
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Talking

Originally Posted by econometrics
Thats so past decade.

Its LIT-HND now.

*** Pending Government Approval***
econometrics likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.