Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to comfort a loved one losing status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to comfort a loved one losing status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by nk15
Unfortunately more bad news for the OP's SO, the fall from grace couldn't have come at a worse time, as FT explorers and scientists have recently discovered the existence of "deep coach", which, according to the early scientific reports from the field, "...unlike other parts of the plane, Deep Coach has no escape: Once you are stuck in, you are in for the ride."

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/t...-avoid-it.html

Get out of there, girl!!
Just read the article, hilarious!

Ironic how just down the page is an article on the new premium lounge in Dubai. 189 degree turn from "deep coach".
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
The disconnect with reality in here, satire or not, is mind blowing.

I hope that EXP/PPro/PLT etc provide the validation that is otherwise missing in your lives.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Someone's sarcasm meter isn't working today.
"A sarcasm meter?! Well that's a REALLY useful invention!"

Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Is there a 12-step program for losing status (or even flying as a no-status pax on one airline when you have status with a different airline)? Maybe there should be.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by SS255
Is there a 12-step program for losing status (or even flying as a no-status pax on one airline when you have status with a different airline)? Maybe there should be.
My 1-step program was to start buying J/F tickets.
SS255 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
My 1-step program was to start buying J/F tickets.
A J ticket on QR to Australia will give status again (I recently did this!)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Good point, 1-2 good J or PE long haul tickets with partners or AA vacations special fares will get her to Gold and Platinum at half the EQD cost.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
Originally Posted by nk15
I think you should sit her down and explain to her that she now has peasant status with AA and her travel life won't be the same. She won't be on the upgrade list any more, will pay for her bag, won't even get preferred seats, and board with group 7, unless she pays extra. Then tell her that you are sorry that this happened to her, and ask her what she is going to do, does she have a plan, and if she is gonna be okay.
Lost my PLAT status... Well, just flying for the first time on AA since then. Just checked in. And found out that there is a GROUP 8
Had no idea such a low social level existed. That's on a Eagle CRJ. Seriously ? On a 80 seat plane ? Crual.
fotographer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:35 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Lightbulb

Make sure she signs up for a Business Extra account for her new business!
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by FabrizioB
Lost my PLAT status... Well, just flying for the first time on AA since then. Just checked in. And found out that there is a GROUP 8
Had no idea such a low social level existed. That's on a Eagle CRJ. Seriously ? On a 80 seat plane ? Crual.
Look at the plus side. Less time sitting in an airplane seat.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by FabrizioB
It turns out those who lost status are the lucky ones. I am regretting the money I spend on an MR to keep it, and now with COVID-19 I won't be flying much this year, if at all, what a waste of money...

Last edited by nk15; Feb 27, 2020 at 10:48 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
For those who seem humor impaired, (not you, Pucci), I’d like to point out that tongue was planted firmly in cheek during the writing of the op. My darling girl called a little while ago to say she’d arrived, sans upgrade but otherwise intact.
I'm so glad to hear she made it through her ordeal. I've heard of seats past the curtain but didn't know that one could actually survive the madness. Fortunately she is in Vegas so she can drink away the memories of what surely was a grueling trip akin to the wagon trains of our settlers. I hope she kept her former status a secret as those in group 9 have been known to quickly turn hostile to the fallen!
apeortdz likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:49 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'd say this unless you are a CK or at least a mid level spend EXP prepare to sit in the back, a lot. I'm a mid spend PP with 3 flights on Saturday, including one in the evening, and right now it doesn't look like I will be sitting up front on any of them. It's coming down to if you really want F and not in one of the aforementioned groups, pay for F.
As an EXP I am #6 on the UG list LAX-PHX (revenue fare) for 0 seats today!!!!
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
As an EXP I am #6 on the UG list LAX-PHX (revenue fare) for 0 seats today!!!!

Just a purely hypothetical question - would killing 5 people to ensure an upgrade be considered an act of terrorism or the free market at work?
MorganB likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Just a purely hypothetical question - would killing 5 people to ensure an upgrade be considered an act of terrorism or the free market at work?
Interesting idea but likely frowned upon by AA and may actually be prohibited in the T&Cs.

Last edited by apeortdz; Feb 28, 2020 at 10:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.