Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to comfort a loved one losing status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to comfort a loved one losing status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
A more radical approach is to test the strength of the relationship but telling her the truth, if it survives it she is a keeper...
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
As other posters have said above, there’s a lot of upside to being self employed and not beholden to corporate travel people. I left my cushy corporate job 15 years ago, losing all benefits including top status with DL and US. Long story short, I just made CK last month after being EXP for about four years. These days I select all my own itineraries, travel dates, ground transportation options etc without being tied down to some silly corporate contract or policy. And the best part, it’s all tax deductible. Granted, it took a decade before I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but I’d do it again in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Am the only one thinking the obvious - tell her to grow up and come back for support when she has a real problem? I mean, I know we come here to discuss very first world problems, but needing to be comforted because you lost status with an airline?
freeagent likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by DCAFly
Am the only one thinking the obvious - tell her to grow up and come back for support when she has a real problem? I mean, I know we come here to discuss very first world problems, but needing to be comforted because you lost status with an airline?
Someone's sarcasm meter isn't working today.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Did you check the online/in app buy up offers? If it’s reasonable, go for it. Also you could check if there’s C inventory and use a mileage upgrade or possibly a bxp1
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
With all these handles I have no idea how many women have posted on this thread so far. Now, You did ask so I will tell you exactly what to do - but it will not be cheap. If you really love her - you will buy her a First Class ticket. Tell her that this is a one off - but you cannot bear to see her pain. It is entirely possible that she will not accept this, but she will know what you did and she will adore you for your thoughtfulness, If she's not worth the price of a First Class ticket, then frankly should you be bothering with her?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
With all these handles I have no idea how many women have posted on this thread so far. Now, You did ask so I will tell you exactly what to do - but it will not be cheap. If you really love her - you will buy her a First Class ticket. Tell her that this is a one off - but you cannot bear to see her pain. It is entirely possible that she will not accept this, but she will know what you did and she will adore you for your thoughtfulness, If she's not worth the price of a First Class ticket, then frankly should you be bothering with her?
Sound advice. Whenever I book tickets for my partner I book the same class I would have booked were it to be me travelling. I think it's the right thing to do.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Very sound advice, Pucci, and I would have done just that, except that she planned and booked this trip on her own, no input from me required or requested.

For those who seem humor impaired, (not you, Pucci), I’d like to point out that tongue was planted firmly in cheek during the writing of the op. My darling girl called a little while ago to say she’d arrived, sans upgrade but otherwise intact.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Been there.
IT IS OK.
Actually, it is liberating as...
- You only fly when you have to (no more chasing status or having spreadsheets tracking EQMs EQDs)
- Take the most convenient flights (not the AA or OW Flight)
- Less time in the air, more time at home with loved ones. Anybody values that?
- Experience new aircraft, hubs, crews
- Read the editorials by Munoz or Bastian on "Hemispheres" or "Sky"
Si si exactamente! I was a status slave for many years but NO MAS! Losing estatus I thought was soo hard but it is not. I signed up for AA PP challenge last summer but did no flying on AA except on awards, it is not worth it at all.

Now I like to read the new prensa when I use a different airline. Senor Pedro's editorial is more functional and with less hype than the gringo carriers UA AA and DL. Tambien the CM magazine has more depth - in comparison - to otras prensas del vuelos. The UA propaganda I read for many years and it is dull and not engaging. A3 has nice inflight prensa with soooo many pictures of every small Greek island which they will only serve only seasonally in Q400 for 800E each way but they looks good and makes me wannnt to go. Even without novio/a! LOL!

Buuut a great one was Stelios with his EasyRead. I laughed when I saw his pictures in the orange jumpsuit with EZ workers picketing the EU parliament years ago. Mucho mejor que la prensa del vuelo de AA! LOL! I would love if Senor MOL would write in a more direct way because his editorial would be the best but there is no such prensa on FR. Lamentos!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Senora, I have a different theory. AA estatus platino is not worth fighting for. Also, OP can test his novia. I propose to him do nothing and see how sheee reponds to flying in Y. If hombre has real cojones he will do truly special things for her and not waste money on this tinsel and send such signal to her. It is not exciting to me to see a boy who is a not really a man but is so owned by all woman in such ways in total. Also, we must think in practical... it is too expensive to do this if we have more than one novio/a, lol!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'll just note that AA Platinums (and, indeed, all oneworld Sapphires and Emeralds) can select a Main Cabin Extra seat at no extra charge at time of booking on AA. Extra legroom seats; free alcohol; and dedicated overhead bins. No, it's not First Class, and there will not be a free meal, but for domestic travel, MCE is still significantly better than "regular" Coach.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Someone's sarcasm meter isn't working today.
Or someone's writing ability isn't.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Very sound advice, Pucci, and I would have done just that, except that she planned and booked this trip on her own, no input from me required or requested.

For those who seem humor impaired, (not you, Pucci), I’d like to point out that tongue was planted firmly in cheek during the writing of the op. My darling girl called a little while ago to say she’d arrived, sans upgrade but otherwise intact.
Darling - that is so sweet. I am delighted that she arrived after her ordeal - I actually thought that she was travelling Friday so my advice was somewhat redundant, but never mind. As soon as I read your missive I was amused and thought - priceless!

Years ago I wrote about some woman who was not upgraded on some ridiculously short flight of less than an hour. As memory serves the exhibition that she made of herself surpassed wonder and I gather than she went into cardiac arrest - or so she claimed. The best was that her friend (why would anyone bother?) was upgraded and practically stepped over the woman prostrate in the gate area and just boarded the aircraft.

Madness lies at the upgrade stage.
AA100k likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:23 pm

i prefer women who help themselves but to each their own. unsurprising that a woman suggests showering her in free first class tickets...
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
Senora, I have a different theory. AA estatus platino is not worth fighting for. Also, OP can test his novia. I propose to him do nothing and see how sheee reponds to flying in Y. If hombre has real cojones he will do truly special things for her and not waste money on this tinsel and send such signal to her. It is not exciting to me to see a boy who is a not really a man but is so owned by all woman in such ways in total. Also, we must think in practical... it is too expensive to do this if we have more than one novio/a, lol!
Querida Senora - your point of view intrigues me. I have never ever subscribed to running more than one man at a time and one husband if more that enough. He has learnt over the years that I will always let him have the least word in any discussion or argument - "Yes Dear". Whilst him manhood is in no doubt, had he not done exactly as I advised the OP (whether I would have accepted or not is another matter), otherwise her knows that his cujones would be served up to him on a plate wtih a mustard relish.
zip10001 and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.