AA and APA / pilot union impasse

Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:09 am
Suspended

Agree with above sentiment, unless AA misses big on revenue or profit, DP will be safe there.

The only wild card is if the union decided to take a long profound strikes in French style, but that could be a double edge sword, and definitely not welcomed by FT community.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
Agree with above sentiment, unless AA misses big on revenue or profit, DP will be safe there.
They already have. They trail the industry at this point by a large margin.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by fotographer
I have always wonder why you need unions.when the FAA sets the guidelines anyway...'(yeah I am sure unions were needed in the early 1900.
Take a look at how Amazon treats their warehouse employees, and tell me how different it is from 1900? And a lot of the laws that are in place exist as a result of union feedback or lawsuits.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
They already have. They trail the industry at this point by a large margin.
Let me rephrase, unless AA missed on Wall Street Expectation on revenue and profit...
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Let me rephrase, unless AA missed on Wall Street Expectation on revenue and profit...
Does Wall Street expect AA to considerably worse profit than DL and UA?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Apparently they are because nothing's being done with DP.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
Originally Posted by Gig103
Why should they let the two groups duke it out? How about AA settles with BOTH their unions, and finds the money to do so from somewhere else... Like Doug Parker's compensation. He makes $13,000,000 a year (source), which would pay for 250 mechanics (based on $52,000/yr source). I don't see him contributing 250 heads towards the company's success!
Okay, the point about the two unions duking out was mostly in jest. But it seems like one of the main complaints that the pilots union had was around on-time/reliability. Maybe that's just a talking point for them, but what they really want is more pay. But if the issue really is operational reliability, I think you could probably blame some fraction of AA's YoY fall in on time% on the mechanics slowdown.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:12 pm

Why would the board care about that? The fact that Wall Street expects him to be terrible at his job is not a very good reason for keeping him around.

Originally Posted by rill2503456
Okay, the point about the two unions duking out was mostly in jest. But it seems like one of the main complaints that the pilots union had was around on-time/reliability. Maybe that's just a talking point for them, but what they really want is more pay. But if the issue really is operational reliability, I think you could probably blame some fraction of AA's YoY fall in on time% on the mechanics slowdown.
I'm less familiar than many people on this board about how pilots get paid, but my understanding is that they generally only get paid for time actually on the plane. From this perspective, it makes sense that they'd be as annoyed by IrrOps as the rest of us--if they're sitting around waiting for a delayed inbound, they're not getting paid for that time. From that perspective, it seems strongly in their interest to prefer on-time operations.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Take a look at how Amazon treats their warehouse employees, and tell me how different it is from 1900? And a lot of the laws that are in place exist as a result of union feedback or lawsuits.
True, but does not the FA sets all the rules, rest times etc... on a pay part, well that is another story
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:20 pm

No, the FAA sets mostly safety related stuff, these days erring on the side of profits. In the last few years there’s been a lot of quiet deregulation, not just in aviation but many areas of public safety. Most of these regulations came from tombstones. Deaths and serious injuries.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:58 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
I am curious to see what the terms of the five tentative TWU contracts look like. Perhaps that will give a clue to what degree the company may accommodate the APA demands.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fotographer
True, but does not the FA sets all the rules, rest times etc...
The FAA sets only the minimum standards for those things.

Unions negotiate better (from the employees' point of view) rules than what the FAA minimally requires.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by mctaste
ahh, unions. things that used to make sense but now do more harm than good.

like pensions, perhaps, although those are proving themselves to be untenable pyramid schemes that half a generation got to exploit.
Same can be said of FlyerTalk. Used to make sense with factual and useful information but now filled with uninformed opinions ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.