Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by potus18
LAX/PEK and LAX/PVG are suspended 2/9-3/27
i know AA zero out the inventory, has AA confirmed? I am on affect flight and it does not yet say cancelled

just called AA, not cancelled for now.
SouthernCross likes this.

Last edited by pbd456; Jan 29, 2020 at 5:25 pm
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
Thanks for all your insights.

I just called and cancelled all the bookings from my both outbound/inbound flights. to China in February.
For Feb 22, 2020 from PVG to SJC flights, since AA cancelled PVG-> LAX for that day, I certainly can get full miles back to my AAdvantage account without a fee.
And it took some time for the ticket agent to get approval for my SFO->HGH cancellation without fees, miles are redeposited.
All the previous paid airline fees are also refunded.​​​​The whole phone call took about 1 hour to complete, when I first called, I was told I will be called back in 25 minutes. After hooked up the call, I was transferred to an international Award booking agent, after a period of talking and hold, when it all finishes in some 30 minutes
miles4CDG and rill2503456 like this.

Last edited by zzyzx; Jan 29, 2020 at 7:29 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Argh, I’m in a bit of a situation right now where I’m scheduled to fly on 10 March for LAX-HKG-CEB (paid J, upgraded to F). If the travel waiver extends, would AA allow a re-route via NRT and then onward NRT-CEB on PR, or would I have to find an alternative solution (i.e. change the entire ticket from LAX-HKG-CEB//MNL-HKG-CEB to LAX-(NRT/HND/SYD/KUL)-MNL//MNL-(NRT/HND/SYD/KUL)-LAX?

Tickets were originally purchased in C and are endorsed as flexible, and the upgraded segment (LAX-HKG is in A).
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
Originally Posted by potus18
LAX/PEK and LAX/PVG are suspended 2/9-3/27
i know AA zero out the inventory, has AA confirmed? I am on affect flight and it does not yet say cancelled

just called AA, not cancelled for now.
Well, I heard about AA's LAX-to-China flight cancellations first on CBS radio news in LA (all-news KNX1070) this evening, though I don't think they mentioned the dates.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Not sure how true this is (just one anecdote), but I spoke to AA Reservations earlier tonight and the agent I spoke to cited an internal source saying that AA will open the path to allowing refunds for all AA-booked flights to/from China and will be making calls to that effect, effective this Saturday. The agent mentioned that they can issue refunds in advance of that by notating the ticket accordingly and asking customers to use the refund system to request it.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, I heard about AA's LAX-to-China flight cancellations first on CBS radio news in LA (all-news KNX1070) this evening, though I don't think they mentioned the dates.
As U.S. health officials begin to relocate American citizens out of the affected Wuhan region in China, American said it would cancel flights between Los Angeles International Airport and Shanghai Pudong Airport and Beijing Capital International Airport.

American’s flights will be canceled between Feb. 9 and March 27, the airline said. American said there was “a significant decline in demand for travel to and from China.”

“American’s reservations team will contact affected customers directly by email or telephone,” said a statement from American Airlines spokesman Curtis Blessing. — link to Dallas News, 29 Jan 2019
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

In my case, I had a trip going from PVG to DFW on 2/3, which is not affected. Agent still confirmed that the refund option would be available, and that she could initiate it in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:15 am

I just called and tried to cancel my JAL award to Guangzhou on 3/5. They said they wouldn't waive the fee because I could change the date on the ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by giggity32
I just called and tried to cancel my JAL award to Guangzhou on 3/5. They said they wouldn't waive the fee because I could change the date on the ticket.
That's just flat-out customer unfriendly. It costs them nothing to reinstate award miles. if they would automate the process as United has for years it would cost less than nothing.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Currently the waivers are for WUH/HKG/PVG/PEK so AA may be claiming that other cities in China don't qualify. But I'd call back and see if you can get someone to waive the fee. The CDC is advising against all nonessential travel to China.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by brenc3
Currently the waivers are for WUH/HKG/PVG/PEK so AA may be claiming that other cities in China don't qualify. But I'd call back and see if you can get someone to waive the fee. The CDC is advising against all nonessential travel to China.
I called AA as well to see what my options are since I'm flying LAX-HKG-CEB and I was told that I could not get routed via NRT because the second flight (NRT-CEB) would be operated by PR and not JL. Guess, I'm stuck with going through HKG right now.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: AA PLT
Not sure how this applies to award tickets, but both date change and refund are available:
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/2020/i..._02/index.html
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SouthernCross
Has there been any indication whether AA will cancel or suspend PEK/PVG flights?
The pilots might force cancellations:

American Airlines pilots sue to halt US-China flights amid coronavirus epidemic

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/busin...rus/index.html
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:07 pm

American's pilot union President just issued a directive that all American pilots decline any China flight assignments.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ameri...221329153.html
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:16 pm

I had an SWU clear for PEK flights for a colleague of mine in late Feb (DFW flights, so still scheduled).

If he chooses to use the waiver, or if his flights are eventually canceled, will his upgrades be protected if he reschedules for later in the year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.