Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pbd456
Feb 3 DFW/LAX HKG is now cancelled? AA is now doing rolling cancellations?
At last check, zeroed out until February 14th or so.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I have a CX award in a little over a week, SFO-HKG-BKK and HKG-SFO.

Any chance AA would waive the miles redeposit fee on this?

I hate to give it up, because my understanding is that J awards on CX flights are not that easy to find. But family is urging me to not go. Would already lose money on nonrefundable hotel bookings.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by wco81
I have a CX award in a little over a week, SFO-HKG-BKK and HKG-SFO.

Any chance AA would waive the miles redeposit fee on this?

I hate to give it up, because my understanding is that J awards on CX flights are not that easy to find. But family is urging me to not go. Would already lose money on nonrefundable hotel bookings.
My wife and I are flying thru HKG to Vietnam on CX on Wednesday, spending 2 weeks there and Cambodia,and then returning by HKG on CX. I think the risks are very low. If you think of the number of cases with the virus out of the hundreds of million of people in the SE Asia area, it's a very tiny percentage. Also, there will far less Chinese tourist then usual. We will be taking extra precaution, wearing mask in the crowded parts of the airport, hand sanitizer and wipes for the airplane seats.
CurbedEnthusiasm and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tomofmaine
At last check, zeroed out until February 14th or so.
My Feb. 18 reservation is still active, but I've booked a back-up ticket on JL.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbd456
Feb 3 DFW/LAX HKG is now cancelled? AA is now doing rolling cancellations?
Yes, that's the best way to think of it. The 0'd flights might operate, the closest-in ones are cancelled, with, undoubtedly, more of the presently 0'd ones to be cancelled on a rolling basis.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA is able to crew it's HKG flights. This is an AA labor relations problem.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yes, that's the best way to think of it. The 0'd flights might operate, the closest-in ones are cancelled, with, undoubtedly, more of the presently 0'd ones to be cancelled on a rolling basis.
Hey Jon, I'm scheduled to fly AA126 from hkg-dfw on 2/5. Still showing as operating for me right now, but with a 1 hr posted delay, I'm guessing for crew rest as they will likely deadhead in I'm guessing. Do you have any guesses as to where the crew and/or plane might be coming from? 125 from dfw on the 4th (still operating as of now) doesn't land until 5:35pm on the 5th, and unless they ferry a 77W over or there is one stuck there already, makes the 4:45pm departure of 126 on the 5th rather unrealistic....
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
At least now the IATA has a dedicated webpage to consolidate all of the various travel restrictions.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
JDiver and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fgirard
At least now the IATA has a dedicated webpage to consolidate all of the various travel restrictions.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
​​​​​​​

Added to Wikipost

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Hey Jon, I'm scheduled to fly AA126 from hkg-dfw on 2/5. Still showing as operating for me right now, but with a 1 hr posted delay, I'm guessing for crew rest as they will likely deadhead in I'm guessing. Do you have any guesses as to where the crew and/or plane might be coming from? 125 from dfw on the 4th (still operating as of now) doesn't land until 5:35pm on the 5th, and unless they ferry a 77W over or there is one stuck there already, makes the 4:45pm departure of 126 on the 5th rather unrealistic....
I, along with my wife, was on the same flight. When I saw that 2/4 was cancelled, I called AA.

Was able to get CX to ORD and then down to MCO.

I had paid business with SWU to first. We are now booked CX first.

Very happy.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:00 am

So it looks like AA is confident that DFW-HKG will not be cancelled anymore? I was calling AA yesterday and they said explicitly that HKG is on their "list" of flights to be cancelled and offered to reroute to JAL from DFW through NRT to HKG. Called today to confirm the change, they told me that they are no longer rerouting pax through NRT on JAL as HKG is no longer on their "list" of flights to be cancelled....

Perhaps they sorted something out with their pilot union?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hkgg
So it looks like AA is confident that DFW-HKG will not be cancelled anymore? I was calling AA yesterday and they said explicitly that HKG is on their "list" of flights to be cancelled and offered to reroute to JAL from DFW through NRT to HKG. Called today to confirm the change, they told me that they are no longer rerouting pax through NRT on JAL as HKG is no longer on their "list" of flights to be cancelled....

The flights are still not for sale even with tons of available seats, so still somewhat in a state of flux for sure, but not cancelled in advance and removed from the schedule the way they were last couple days.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hkgg

But the HKG travel waiver is still up for flights through Feb 29. Maybe the DFW-HKG flight will still run, maybe not, but in any case the waiver still states that travel via HKG can be rebooked with no penalty.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by brenc3
But the HKG travel waiver is still up for flights through Feb 29. Maybe the DFW-HKG flight will still run, maybe not, but in any case the waiver still states that travel via HKG can be rebooked with no penalty.
And, it's the same issue with other countries that have banned travelers from HKG--the Philippines has their ban up until the 29th as well.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA
I booked SAN-LAX-HKG RT 2/2 to 2/27 back in December 2019. My final destination is China, which I cross the border by land/boat from Hong Kong (unrelated to the airline).

I saw the writing on the wall with the quarantines and the extended shutdown by the Chinese govt and changed my flight to 2/9 (from 2/2).

Now, it is looking like they will close the borders at Hong Kong.

I was going to change my flight to 2/16 to 3/5, but AA is refusing to change my flight again. They said the change fee waiver was only for ONE change fee. They want around USD 250.

So -- what would you do? Stay the course and cross your fingers, or pay the change fee? I am really at a loss right now. I don't want to arrive to HKG and be stuck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.