Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
"Delay your trip" option

I am holding a set of non-refundable roundtrip tickets to HKG next month. I bought them from AA but both legs are operated by code share partners, CX and JAL. This complicated things a lot, as my options seems to be dictated by all three carriers. So far, JAL is willing to refund if I bought from them, but I bought from AA. CX does not provide refunds at all. So I think I may need to wait til they cancel all flights to and from the US.

I am also evaluating my options under AA's travel alert. I cannot understand how the "Delay your trip" option work, and how that differs from "Change your trip" option. The Change option allow me to book at a later date but have to pay the difference in fare. Does the Delay option allow me to keep the same exact flights but for a later date? and keep the fare too?

I want to know my options before I call AA.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EdofFX
So I think I may need to wait til they cancel all flights to and from the US.
I would not be so sure that's going to happen with HKG.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Not sure the reason but looking at a few days past 2/2 all of the routings seem to go through NRT with JL flying to HKG, ORD/jfk/sfo with CX going to HKG. Wonder if cancellation is soon to be announced out of LAX
DFW-hkg had a long delay yesterday, eventually boarded, then finally cxl’d as no pilots would fly. Surprised they boarded without having certainty on the pilots.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Both HKG flights seem zeroed out until mid-Feb now.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:54 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
I have an upcoming trip to Vietnam via HKG (CX outbound, AA returning) on an AAward ticket, and AA so far has provided no option other than rebooking at a later date dependent on space. I asked to be proactively rerouted on JAL via Tokyo, but since J space is nonexistent on my travel dates, they can offer no alternatives. They also said if I cancel, a redeposit fee will still apply which I think is ridiculous. So far I'd say their help has been a small step above none.
Given the situation ask them to look at routing you over DOH with QR. They fly to both SGN and HAN. This will route you 'the other way' over Europe - but given the circumstances and limited award availability it would seem to me to be a reasonable alternative.

It will be interesting to see if AA will break the routing rules for this reasonable request.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would not be so sure that's going to happen with HKG.
I am not sure either, just hoping. CX will do their best to fly, as long as they have enough cash. But if JAL cancels my return leg, I may have a better argument to ask for a refund from AA.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by socalterp
DFW-hkg had a long delay yesterday, eventually boarded, then finally cxl’d as no pilots would fly. Surprised they boarded without having certainty on the pilots.
Gotcha. I’m guessing this will continue as long as there is a level 4 alert for travel to China
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:15 pm

Booked CX JFK-HKG in March and JL HND-JFK in April. I'm assuming nothing can be done or changed for free since they're not on AA metal?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
HKG has been added.

Current travel waivers:

Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:37 pm

AA did cancelled all of theirs planes to Hong Kong but you can call AA and rebook your flight by using JAL and CX for your upcoming routes. My upcoming AA trip has code share with CX and JAL so far it is still on.

The avail. seats are very limited.

Last edited by DB9LBK; Feb 1, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EdofFX
I am holding a set of non-refundable roundtrip tickets to HKG next month. I bought them from AA but both legs are operated by code share partners, CX and JAL. This complicated things a lot, as my options seems to be dictated by all three carriers. So far, JAL is willing to refund if I bought from them, but I bought from AA. CX does not provide refunds at all. So I think I may need to wait til they cancel all flights to and from the US.

I am also evaluating my options under AA's travel alert. I cannot understand how the "Delay your trip" option work, and how that differs from "Change your trip" option. The Change option allow me to book at a later date but have to pay the difference in fare. Does the Delay option allow me to keep the same exact flights but for a later date? and keep the fare too?

I want to know my options before I call AA.
Just called EXP desk. First agent would not help me change my BKK-HKG-LAX-BOS ticket. (Paid Economy and one way). HUCA. Second agent changed flights to BKK-NRT-BOS without any hesitation. I will not be eligible for SWU but at least not stuck in Asia...This was in last week of Feb. EF showed many flights with 0 availability...
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Gotcha. I’m guessing this will continue as long as there is a level 4 alert for travel to China
It will continue so long as the AA pilots are at war with management, and the pilots have an excuse to make things difficult for the company.

Originally Posted by AlphonsoMango
Booked CX JFK-HKG in March and JL HND-JFK in April. I'm assuming nothing can be done or changed for free since they're not on AA metal?
You may be covered by the CX waiver. Don't know about JL.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
My Feb. 18 HKG-LAX itinerary still shows normal but I'm obviously concerned. CX won't count for my challenge; JL would.

IMO that's entirely the wrong attitude. This is not a carrier caused problem. They are even more unhappy about all this than we are, it's costing them a ton of money.

They can just refund your ticket and tell you "good luck."
I know that and it’s why I put “demand” in quotes. Many times you can call and be told there’s nothing that can be done when in fact there is an alternative. I don’t know if that’s unhelpful behavior or ignorance but either way I’ve encounter it many times with AA.

Case in point, CX canceled my return flight a few months ago. AAgent said there was nothing she could do but I pressed her to escalate it and magically I was given space on AA metal.

Obviously being demanding and entitled won’t get you results, but sometimes you need to be assertive and persistent to get to a reasonable solution.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO
Bought the super cheap $600 PE fare from SEA to SIN last year when it was on sale. Itinerary was SEA-LAX-HKG (AA)-SIN(CX)-NRT-LAX(JL)-SEA for late Feb.

Not too worried about transiting through HKG but called to try to re-route through NRT given it's likely that AA193 will be cancelled / delayed.
The rep did offer me the routing through NRT but the timing wasn't ideal. She later said if you are okay with HKG I can re-route you on CX SEA-HKG-SIN.
I took it and from seat map that was the last PE seat avaialble. Guess seats to Asia are very limited right now given the signicant cancellations.

Hope the coronavirus situation doesn't get too out of control. I really do need to travel to Singapore.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:49 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Feb 3 DFW/LAX HKG is now cancelled? AA is now doing rolling cancellations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.