Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Unfortunately my return flight BKK-HKG-SFO is on April 27, three days after the waiver period.
Just pick up the phone and call and ask them if you can get in on the waiver anyway.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Unfortunately my return flight BKK-HKG-SFO is on April 27, three days after the waiver period.
HKG is super quite, very uncrowded. My wife and I felt completely safe connecting flights there due to so few people. Planes lightly loaded too, lots of empty seats.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA SILVER, AA EXEC PLAT
Now that Japan is under CDC Alert level 2, where as HKG is watch level 1, does anyone think it will be only a matter of time until AA issues a travel waiver for Japan?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:49 pm

Corona virus Japan AA no waivers

I used AA miles to book business class flight to Japan on JAL for my disabled husband. Due to escalation in Corona virus he has been advised by Dr not to travel. So far after 3 phone calls AA continues to refuse to waive $150 fee to cancel flight and redeposit miles. Have emailed customer relations and have had no response even when we offered to get doctors note. Any suggestions on how to get the fees waived?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by atlantic1
Now that Japan is under CDC Alert level 2, where as HKG is watch level 1, does anyone think it will be only a matter of time until AA issues a travel waiver for Japan?
AA may follow State Department guidance for waivers, which presently has Japan at a level 2 (on a 4 point scale, same rating as much of western Europe). ICN didn't get the waiver until South Korea hit level 3. The CDC gives alerts for specific health issues, and Japan already had a CDC level 2 alert for Rubella (meaning they likely don't primarily drive waiver decisions).
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Italy is level 2 and Delta has given waivers but not AA.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ckendall
Italy is level 2 and Delta has given waivers but not AA.
AA has now included most of Northern/Central Italy, and NAP. Rome is not included at the moment, at least according to the website.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by ktmilne
I used AA miles to book business class flight to Japan on JAL for my disabled husband. Due to escalation in Corona virus he has been advised by Dr not to travel. So far after 3 phone calls AA continues to refuse to waive $150 fee to cancel flight and redeposit miles. Have emailed customer relations and have had no response even when we offered to get doctors note. Any suggestions on how to get the fees waived?
Not totally clear whether you actually canceled yet, but in the event that you have not, then wait until the last minute. You can see if AA policy changes, and/or you may still get a more sympathetic agent.

If neither (or if you already canceled): What credit card did you use when paying taxes associated with award booking? If Chase or Amex, you may be able to get the $150 back via an insurance claim. Maybe don't reference disability in doctor's note since that could trigger pre-existing condition denial.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:52 am

I had canceled my trip to Japan when the Tokyo Marathon was canceled. I wrote to Customer Service on Feb 21 asking if fees and penalties could be waived and they responded with
Thank you for writing us. Based on the information you've provided, I have put an authorization in your record to waive the applicable change fee.

As a reminder, if you haven't already done so, be sure to cancel your reservation before the scheduled travel date by either visiting us online at aa.com, or calling us at 1-800-433-7300. When you're ready to book a trip, refer the Reservations agent to your VCR remarks. They'll know what to do from there. Be sure to have your ticket number available when you call. It's important to note that tickets are valid for one year from the original date of purchase, if completely unused, and rescheduled travel must commence within one year of the date the original ticket was issued. Also, any fare difference, ticket restrictions and applicable ticketing fees will still apply.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:26 am

AA refuses to even waive the change fee for a flight to Tokyo in 2 weeks. Unbelievably bad service!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
AA has now included most of Northern/Central Italy, and NAP. Rome is not included at the moment, at least according to the website.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp
I thought about rebooking for May, yet fare was double the March fare I had paid. Not a lot of great options here.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by DCAKen
I had canceled my trip to Japan when the Tokyo Marathon was canceled. I wrote to Customer Service on Feb 21 asking if fees and penalties could be waived and they responded with
How long did it take for them to reply? Did you use the web form?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by cpdc1030
I have HNL-ICN-KUL booked in J with AA miles (on HA/MH) for late March. I see that HA has already issued a travel waiver for ICN, MH has not done anything for ICN yet. AA also doesn't have a travel waiver of their own for ICN yet.
Is there any hope of getting the redeposit fee waived? I was thinking of waiting a bit longer to cancel until AA has a travel waiver of their own for ICN. Or would it make any difference?

Thanks.
To answer my own question - I called in after HA cancelled the HNL-ICN flight. AA redeposited the miles very quickly with no fee. Hope this helps others.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:43 pm

Italy was just bumped up to a Level 3 travel advisory. I have a flight to Rome in April ... so I'll have to keep watching it.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:18 pm

I was able to cancel my early March trip and rebook for a trip in May with no penalties (and my SWU was able to be used on one of the legs).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.