Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:20 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 007math
My girlfriend I had booked flights to Singapore with a DFW->HKG leg confirmed SWU to business class. Has anyone been able to get confirmed business class seats for those who already had SWU cleared? Talked to 1 agent (who didn't seem to be part of ExPlat desk) who said he could get us business class on JAL (but on a horrible routing) and another agent (ExPlat desk) who said we have to waitlist and see if the upgrade clears. Only booked this ticket in the first place because the SWUs were going to clear...2 of them are already expired so worried if I cancel my flight I just lose 2 SWUs. Any thoughts / suggestions here on trying to retain business class?
I had two bookings with SWUs.

1/ Called, got it rebooked to J on CX. Then CX cancelled, got it rebooked in J on JL.

2/ Called, got told they'd put me back into Y. The flight isn't until March, so I told her to leave as is and I'd rebook later. Fully expect to be protected in J.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The CW here is they’re most likely to protect your upgrade on joint business venture airlines (AA, AY, BA, IB, JL, QF) than on CX etc.
I'd expect to be given CX if I asked. They won't like it, but it's policy to protect in same class of service on any oneworld partner regardless of whether they like the partner (JL etc) or not (CX, QR)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
I had two bookings with SWUs.

1/ Called, got it rebooked to J on CX. Then CX cancelled, got it rebooked in J on JL.

2/ Called, got told they'd put me back into Y. The flight isn't until March, so I told her to leave as is and I'd rebook later. Fully expect to be protected in J.
Do you recommend just calling again until an agent lets me book in Business?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by 007math
Do you recommend just calling again until an agent lets me book in Business?
Yeah and hope they don't leave notes on your booking
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I pushed out all China & Asian trips out to second half. Last night I cancelled a July trip to HKG and NNG. Not worth the risks.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The CW here is they’re most likely to protect your upgrade on joint business venture airlines (AA, AY, BA, IB, JL, QF) than on CX etc.
In my experience, the AA agent transferred my C > F SWU from AA LAX-HKG to JL LAX-NRT (AA8407/JL61).
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by fgirard
In my experience, the AA agent transferred my C > F SWU from AA LAX-HKG to JL LAX-NRT (AA8407/JL61).
jackpot., should've tried to get some F fares
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
I applied yesterday afternoon via the online link for a refund for each of the two ticket numbers (around 4pm PST). Got the 'can't be automatically processed' notice & we will 'manually review your request' message.... Received an email today (10am PST) today that refund is complete & to allow 7 days to post.... I still do not have any email notification of when they actually cancelled my tickets. Will see if the refund posts smoothly as I believe the CC card number (Citibank) is different now than it was in June when I purchased the tickets. Crossing fingers
I applied online 2/13 for refund. 2/14 a.m. email said refund complete. Yesterday refund appeared on CC backdated to 2/13 -- so less than a week
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by helvetic
jackpot., should've tried to get some F fares
Well, it is currently coded as First (A), so hopefully earning will match that, but the underlying fare basis is Business (I). However, that doesn’t really bother me that much as we have MNL-DOH-LAX on the return on QR.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:17 pm

Hey all,

Really appreciate the helping hands and input from everyone here. This place has been an invaluable resource for me in the past, so my first post certainly needs to reflect my appreciation for all of you here. Thank you.

Quick question.

I cancelled a flight to BKK and am about to cancel a flight to CGK. I noticed that for my BKK refund they did not reimburse my upgrades, just the base ticket. Are there any suggestions on getting my upgrades refunded, or is it not worth the effort?

Lastly, they didn’t touch my leg when I called and cancelled my BKK flight, even though I was very precise about communicating that I would like that refunded. She just said it was in progress and refused to tell me she didn’t even touch that part. So currently I have a leg on my online itinerary for naught.

Any suggestions on dealing with AA, or what I can expect would be extremely helpful.

Thanks all!
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Adrenalist
Hey all,

Really appreciate the helping hands and input from everyone here. This place has been an invaluable resource for me in the past, so my first post certainly needs to reflect my appreciation for all of you here. Thank you.

Quick question.

I cancelled a flight to BKK and am about to cancel a flight to CGK. I noticed that for my BKK refund they did not reimburse my upgrades, just the base ticket. Are there any suggestions on getting my upgrades refunded, or is it not worth the effort?

Lastly, they didn’t touch my leg when I called and cancelled my BKK flight, even though I was very precise about communicating that I would like that refunded. She just said it was in progress and refused to tell me she didn’t even touch that part. So currently I have a leg on my online itinerary for naught.

Any suggestions on dealing with AA, or what I can expect would be extremely helpful.

Thanks all!
AA doesn't fly to BKK or CGK. What does this have to do with Coronavirus? Clarify "in progress". One day? One week? One month? Cancellations are time consuming. You called who? You booked the itinerary via who? Cash? Miles?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/2MM
I have a trip to Japan next month which I want to cancel because of coronavirus. CDC just increased alert level from 1 to 2, which is higher than Hong Kong. I called AA to see if I can get fee waiver, but was told "your cities are not on the list. I just can't give waiver to everyone. You will get email so wait for it." Should I wait several more days and call again?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
AA doesn't fly to BKK or CGK. What does this have to do with Coronavirus? Clarify "in progress". One day? One week? One month? Cancellations are time consuming. You called who? You booked the itinerary via who? Cash? Miles?
AA sells tickets to BKK. They fly to HKG, then CX flies their clientele the rest of the way.

In case you weren’t aware, HKG has everything to do with coronavirus. Likewise, so do many other countries in Asia.

The lady I spoke with at AAdvantage/AA customer support said that my “refund was in progress”.

One day? One week? One month? What are you asking?

Sure, cancellations are time consuming. I never said anything negative about that.

I called AA customer service.

I booked the flight through AA.com

I paid via credit card.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by Downdog
I have a trip to Japan next month which I want to cancel because of coronavirus. CDC just increased alert level from 1 to 2, which is higher than Hong Kong. I called AA to see if I can get fee waiver, but was told "your cities are not on the list. I just can't give waiver to everyone. You will get email so wait for it." Should I wait several more days and call again?

I also want to cancel trip to Japan for March.If anyone is able to cancel please let us know on this forum
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Downdog
Originally Posted by Tilto007
I also want to cancel trip to Japan for March.If anyone is able to cancel please let us know on this forum
Keep your eye on the aa.com travel advisories (link in the Wikipost). There’s no hurry - by waiting you may gain free cancellation. South Korea and Japan might show up in the advisories.
BellaRaina likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.