Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 28, 20, 1:02 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 11, 20, 1:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
It has been posted to the AA website for a few hours now:
Newsroom - Travel Alert: An update on mainland China and Hong Kong flying - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Due to the reduction in demand, American Airlines has extended the suspension of flying to and from mainland China and Hong Kong from our Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs.
  • Flights between DFW/LAX and the mainland China are suspended through April 24.
  • Flights between DFW and Hong Kong (HKG) are suspended through April 23.
  • Flights between LAX and HKG are suspended through April 24.
We will continue to evaluate this schedule and make any adjustments as necessary.
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL GM
Tell that to the agents. They are telling me I can’t change my April flights without a change fee. Retarded waste of 1.5 hours.
Old Feb 11, 20, 3:28 pm

I cancelled an IAD/HKG Aadvantage award flight on CX. Will AA waive the award reinstatement fee for this award?
Old Feb 11, 20, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
I cancelled an IAD/HKG Aadvantage award flight on CX. Will AA waive the award reinstatement fee for this award?
They waived it for me over the phone. First AAgent said she couldn’t buy a supervisor said no problem. However I still had to call back because even after the cancelation and supervisory approval, the miles were sitting in limbo land because the system was looking for a redeposit fee. A supervisor on the account technical side sorted it out.
Old Feb 11, 20, 4:26 pm

I have been procrastinating about calling in to ask for a REFUND (PVG-LAX) because the travel alerts so far were through March 27 and my tickets are March 28th. I saw earlier the dates are being extended and I was going to call later today. I logged into my account (for something else) & next to my PVG-LAX flight? It shows CANCELED???? I have received no email or notification. NO IDEA when this happened. I've put a couple award seats on hold this week + those emails arrived promptly so there's no reason a notification of AA canceling my flight would not come through.... Before I call them, would it be likely they are processing a refund for this? It's not an award ticket. I have not called in at all to ask for any changes to this ticket, fwiw. Why would they not notify me?
Old Feb 11, 20, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA/US ExPlat & 1.05MM, AF C2K, UA dirt
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Question then: will AA be updating affected itineraries automatically, or will we have to call in?

Our return is currently MNL-HKG (CX) then HKG-LAX (AA), so we are flexible with our return options, which are far more flexible, wether AA wants to send us via TYO or SYD.
Old Feb 11, 20, 6:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal View Post
I have been procrastinating about calling in to ask for a REFUND (PVG-LAX) because the travel alerts so far were through March 27 and my tickets are March 28th. I saw earlier the dates are being extended and I was going to call later today. I logged into my account (for something else) & next to my PVG-LAX flight? It shows CANCELED???? I have received no email or notification. NO IDEA when this happened. I've put a couple award seats on hold this week + those emails arrived promptly so there's no reason a notification of AA canceling my flight would not come through.... Before I call them, would it be likely they are processing a refund for this? It's not an award ticket. I have not called in at all to ask for any changes to this ticket, fwiw. Why would they not notify me?
If you know your ticket number and your trip is already cancelled, you can apply for a refund through this link provided in the Travel Alert:
https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/
Old Feb 11, 20, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by EdofFX View Post
If you know your ticket number and your trip is already cancelled, you can apply for a refund through this link provided in the Travel Alert:
https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/
Thanks for that -- now that I see the 'fine print' from earlier today it would be simpler to do it online. I didn't want to spend forever on the phone if I didn't have to. I still wonder why I haven't gotten any email notice from AA....

BUT....that brings me to another question I am not using the CC that I used to purchase this tkt in June (although it's not closed). Is there anyway to get AA to credit it back to a different CC?
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal View Post
Thanks for that -- now that I see the 'fine print' from earlier today it would be simpler to do it online. I didn't want to spend forever on the phone if I didn't have to. I still wonder why I haven't gotten any email notice from AA....

BUT....that brings me to another question I am not using the CC that I used to purchase this tkt in June (although it's not closed). Is there anyway to get AA to credit it back to a different CC?
pretty sure it just credits to the original form of payment. So might want to make sure it’s “active”
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro/2MM, Priority Club Platinum
The HKG waiver updated yesterday and now allows you to
Change your origin or destination city to Tokyo Haneda, Japan (HND), Seoul Incheon, South Korea (ICN) or Tokyo Narita, Japan (NRT).
I'm a bit surprised since the US hasn't made any official travel advisory re: HKG, though with the extended cancellations make it hard to revise your schedule (though I presume CX has plenty of excess capacity). It would have been handy if they had allowed that change when the HKG cancellations started.
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
had an AUS-LAX-HKG-DPS for April 3. I also spent 2-3 hours yesterday and had to tell the EXP agent the flights were suspended. The 2nd one I got had to check her email. No Go to DPS. Then today had a meeting and Mrs. boerne called. After an hour or so she got the outbound reroute AUS-LAX-MEL-DPS.

Not only do we get in a day earlier, but I had scored a SWU to F on LAX-HKG. The SWU transferred and now we have to suffer on QF in F LAX-MEL. I love coronavirus, and my affection for OW and the EXP desk improved.

Last edited by boerne; Feb 12, 20 at 10:40 am
Old Feb 12, 20, 11:38 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I booked PEK LAX with C space.

Rebooked to HKG LAX with I.

Tried to o rebooked HKg JFK on AA codeshare , only gave me Y class. Had to rebooked immediately upon noticing it to HKG NRT DFW with HKG NRT in Y but NRT DFW in R.

Do I have leg to argue HKG NRT should be in business?
Old Feb 13, 20, 12:36 pm

Anyone cancelled their flight and got the refund yet? I cancelled last week and still waiting for refund...
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I have flights LAX-HKG-CNX in early April I booked at aa.com last year.
When I check my trip at AA.com, it's still there with travel alert.
I am not sure if AA cancels my AA193 LAX-HKG soon, but I believe I can get a full refund if I want to cancel the trip according to the travel advisory. Is that right?
so if I want to cancel the trip, should I cancel it online first and then go to refund request https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/ ?
Or better to call AA?

Last edited by MrJBoy; Feb 13, 20 at 4:43 pm
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by catcathk View Post
Anyone cancelled their flight and got the refund yet? I cancelled last week and still waiting for refund...
I got mine 6 days after I applied for the refund. Have you checked your refund status online?

Search this Thread