Upgrade on AA as a BA/OW Emerald

Old Jan 27, 20, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G + BA Gold + TK*S + HHonors Diamond + SPG Gold + Intercontinental Platinum
Upgrade on AA as a BA/OW Emerald

Hi Everyone,

I am booked on AA2341 on feb 2 from MIA to LAS in Y with a fare ticket M, and I hold a BA Gold which is equivalent to Platinum Pro as One World Status Emerald. For the Moment there are about 5 seats left in Y, around 10 seats in MCE and 6 seats in Business. I can buy an upgrade at $480, so my question is what the chances for a comp upgrade would be as an Emerald compared to AA owns Frequent fliers? Would it be likely that you can grab a good deal for the upgrade during check in?

Very hard to tell for sure, but any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jan 27, 20, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Rogue1Trader View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am booked on AA2341 on feb 2 from MIA to LAS in Y with a fare ticket M, and I hold a BA Gold which is equivalent to Platinum Pro as One World Status Emerald. For the Moment there are about 5 seats left in Y, around 10 seats in MCE and 6 seats in Business. I can buy an upgrade at $480, so my question is what the chances for a comp upgrade would be as an Emerald compared to AA owns Frequent fliers? Would it be likely that you can grab a good deal for the upgrade during check in?

Very hard to tell for sure, but any advice would be appreciated.
Your chances of a comp (free) upgrade are basically zero. On a route like MIA-LAS any remaining business seats will almost certainly go to AA elites upgrading via our normal domestic sticker upgrade procedures.

What time is your flight? Some early AM Sunday departures are typically lightly loaded with the normal business and elite crowd, so if seats remain open in business then there's a small chance you could have a better upgrade offer at check-in, if you check-in via the AA app or at an airport kiosk.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
Highly unlikely as AA's own OWE's (Executive Platinum, not Platinum Pro, by the way) - and Sapphires and Rubys, will probably take the available seats before they consider you. You might see 20+ people on the upgrade list once you get to the airport.
Old Jan 27, 20, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G + BA Gold + TK*S + HHonors Diamond + SPG Gold + Intercontinental Platinum
Thanks Guys, flight is at pm 9.45. How is the MCE cabin on AA? Should I go with 757 lie-flat seat for $480, as for reference for a 8+ hour flight I would have chosen it any day.
Old Jan 27, 20, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid View Post
Highly unlikely as AA's own OWE's (Executive Platinum, not Platinum Pro, by the way) - and Sapphires and Rubys, will probably take the available seats before they consider you. You might see 20+ people on the upgrade list once you get to the airport.
Can you then buy one of these seats at discount during check-in? Flew EWR-MIA a while back and the upgrade was like $480 in advance, and while check-in it was only $99 so off course I took it.
Old Jan 27, 20, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Can you then buy one of these seats at discount during check-in? Flew EWR-MIA a while back and the upgrade was like $480 in advance, and while check-in it was only $99 so off course I took it.
There are 6 unassigned seats on that flight but it's only J2 (two seats left for sale, so 4 people haven't assigned seats). I believe upgrades are only offered at check in if there's no one on the upgrade list, which would be highly unlikely on this flight.

Though personally, $480 is more than I"d be willing to pay for a 5 hour flight, especially if already in MCE.
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Thanks Guys, flight is at pm 9.45. How is the MCE cabin on AA? Should I go with 757 lie-flat seat for $480, as for reference for a 8+ hour flight I would have chosen it any day.
It'll be as good or better than BA's Club Europe. You'll have more pitch and quite possibly an empty middle seat next to you. You'll get free booze from the bar cart and a pick of anything off the Buy on Board menu which (aside from the new beef pie) is better than anything on BA's BoB menu. Save your money, there's little worth paying for since you're used to BA's inferior business class product. Take it form me, another BAGold/OWEmerald who flies AA quite a bit. Domestic F has gone downhill over the past few years, and although it is still better than Club Europe, it's not worth 300 on this route. If it were JFK-LAX or SFO, I'd say go for it. But not on this flight.
Old Jan 28, 20, 4:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Save your money.. you can spend that in Vegas in about 4 secs..
or have a half decent meal...
On a side note.. as a BA Gold... your upgrade chance is pretty much 0.0%.. its the same as my upgrade chances flying on BA
Old Jan 30, 20, 5:53 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
On a side note.. as a BA Gold... your upgrade chance is pretty much 0.0%.. its the same as my upgrade chances flying on BA
Which can actually be quite high, depending on the route. My OH is AA EXP and flies mostly on BA, he has often been upgraded on long haul flights.
fotographer and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 9:35 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
MIA-LAS is not 8+ hours. It's 5.5 hours gate to gate. The question about upgrading appears to be moot now. Business class is fully sold out at the moment on this flight. Still wouldn't spend $480 since you can't really take full advantage of the lie flat seat for a relatively short flight. They won't even be serving a hot meal at that hour in business class. MCE will be fine. Try to snag 9BCDE for the extra legroom (like 3-4 feet of space due to exit door). They're filled now but someone could always cancel.
Old Jan 30, 20, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Presidents Club
I am an AA EXP, have flown BA atleast 10 times last couple of years, did not get upgraded once. Asked about it couple of times at the lounge and the agent looked at me as if I was asking for her liver.
enviroian and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 1:52 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by GRR_Flier View Post
I am an AA EXP, have flown BA atleast 10 times last couple of years, did not get upgraded once. Asked about it couple of times at the lounge and the agent looked at me as if I was asking for her liver.
Small data points. A few years ago as an AA Gold, I was upgraded from paid PE to J on BA MIA-LHR. I was flying solo, and it was busy summer travel so my best guess is they were oversold and already rolled up higher tier elites on BA and AA. I was kind of looking forward to the new PE seating, but the cramped J lie flat seat (luckily a forward facing one) was fine for the ~8 hour trip.
Old Jan 30, 20, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Small data points. A few years ago as an AA Gold, I was upgraded from paid PE to J on BA MIA-LHR. I was flying solo, and it was busy summer travel so my best guess is they were oversold and already rolled up higher tier elites on BA and AA. I was kind of looking forward to the new PE seating, but the cramped J lie flat seat (luckily a forward facing one) was fine for the ~8 hour trip.
Me too. A few years ago, I was upgraded 2 out of 2 times to Business when I booked PE on BA from LAS as AA PLT, due to oversells in Economy moving people into PE
I wouldn't pay the $480 extra for that flight, but some people have more extra money than I do.
I did pay $46 more for a 789 flight DFW-LAX to get PE seating on an economy fare, and also because it was a good time......which is why it was more than other economy on some flights,,but still less than others
Old Jan 30, 20, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by GRR_Flier View Post
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
And I'm an EXP who has been upgraded on BA 3x out of ~8-9 so it definitely does happen. BA often upgrades lower tier BA elites and AA elites ahead of their golds because they use an opaque computer system to predict whether you are likely to buy J in the future and to give you a taste of what it's like. Between that, their huge J cabins on business routes, and them typically overselling upgrades at check in to their relatively small premium economy cabins; I've found booking PE on BA there's usually a reasonable chance for an op-up. Never a guarantee, but far more likely than even (for most) a complimentary upgrade during consulting hours between NYC and Dallas or LAX and BOS
Old Jan 30, 20, 2:14 pm

Scored 2 OpUps from paid J to F as EXP while flying BA.
fotographer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: