FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA to introduce new longhaul seats in 2023 (inc Business) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2006423-aa-introduce-new-longhaul-seats-2023-inc-business.html)

JDiver Jan 27, 2020 11:59 am

AA to introduce new longhaul seats in 2023 (inc Business)

“While this is still a few years off, it looks like American plans to introduce new seats in all cabins on long haul flights…”

link to
American Airlines To Introduce New Seats In 2023, 26 Jan 2020, Ben Schlappig (Lucky), One Mile at a TimeAmerican is apparently thinking of introducing new seats in business class, premium economy, and economy, and as you’d expect, this is a process that takes years from start to finish.

Why would American be considering new seats in 2023, specifically?

For one, in 2018 American Airlines placed an order for additional Boeing 787s, which they’ll use long term to replace 767s, A330s, and aging 777s. They’ll start taking delivery of their next batch of 25 787-9s as of 2023, and the plan is for those planes to feature the new seats.

But that’s not all. American Airlines has also placed an order for 50 Airbus A321XLRs, which will join American’s fleet starting in 2023. American will use these for long haul flights.

American wants fully flat business class seats with direct aisle access, as well as proper premium economy seats, on these A321XLRs.

...@xJonNYC reports that American eventually plans on retrofitting existing planes with these seats. It remains to be seen what “eventually” means, as I’d take it to possibly mean 2030 or beyond.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jan 27, 2020 12:27 pm

New seats in Y doesn't necessarily mean more comfortable seats although I'm sure AA might spin it that way.

JDiver Jan 27, 2020 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 32000699)
New seats in Y doesn't necessarily mean more comfortable seats although I'm sure AA might spin it that way.

Truth. At least they’re going through the motions to escape some of the Oasis troubles by bringing in passengers to test new seats at DFW just now. Let’s hope they’re a tad more customer focused than they have been.

mvoight Jan 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 32000602)
“While this is still a few years off, it looks like American plans to introduce new seats in all cabins on long haul flights…”

link to
American Airlines To Introduce New Seats In 2023, 26 Jan 2020, Ben Schlappig (Lucky), One Mile at a TimeAmerican is apparently thinking of introducing new seats in business class, premium economy, and economy, and as you’d expect, this is a process that takes years from start to finish.

And lavs 1/2 the size of the MAX lavs, probably

enviroian Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Nothing good can come from this announcement.

GaryZ Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 32001081)

Any truth to the rumor they are planning on removing the sinks?

JDiver Jan 27, 2020 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by GaryZ (Post 32001142)
Any truth to the rumor they are planning on removing the sinks?

Wouldn't that violate sanitary rules? What’s the source of the rumor?

AANYC1981 Jan 27, 2020 3:06 pm

What about fixing the rocking Zodiac seats first?

Antarius Jan 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 32001251)
Wouldn't that violate sanitary rules? What’s the source of the rumor?

I read that as a joke.

Gig103 Jan 27, 2020 3:48 pm

From the business class cabin perspective, I think they knocked it out of the park with the current selection on widebodies. I found it very comfortable and I don't need a door like so many are adopting. I see this is about the A321XLR, but going to aisle access on narrowbodies in J diminishes transcon F.

IADCAflyer Jan 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 32001081)

Your drink cup also serves as a personal relief device. To use, remove the flap covering your man/lady bits......

GaryZ Jan 27, 2020 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32001374)
I read that as a joke.

Put me in the bad boy's corner - yes, just joking, but the mini size of the Max toilet is embarrassing. Didn't mean to get so far off topic either. :eek:

Djokison Jan 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 32001469)
From the business class cabin perspective, I think they knocked it out of the park with the current selection on widebodies. I found it very comfortable and I don't need a door like so many are adopting. I see this is about the A321XLR, but going to aisle access on narrowbodies in J diminishes transcon F.

It doesn’t diminish it any more so than all
aisle access seats on widebodies currently do...

PHL Jan 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 32001469)

I don't think this affects transcon F, if you're referring to the 3-class A321 that exclusively flies JFK-LAX/SFO. All aisle access on a 321XLR would be targeting international/long haul single aisle flights. I would imagine this yet-to-be-delivered plane to have around 8 rows of all aisle access J, then a few rows of PE followed by some MCE and then the rest to be standard coach. What's interesting in all the artist renditions of this plane is that there isn't 2nd door ahead of the wings. It's just the 1L/1R doors, then the 2 overawing exit doors and the rear door.

ricktoronto Jan 27, 2020 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 32000699)

They have three legs and are also used when milking cows.