JFK-TPE AY vs. CX

Old Jan 27, 20, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
JFK-TPE AY vs. CX

I'm posting this in the AA forum because that's where we earn. DH and I are looking to go to TPE this summer in J and AY's I fares are US$1,500 cheaper than CX's. So far as I can see, the pros and cons for AY are below.

Pros
Significantly cheaper
More EQMs (2 vs. 1.5 per mile), same EQD rate
Possible quick Helsinki tour (6.5 hour layover each way, and we've never been)

Cons
AY A350 (HEL-HKG leg) lack of storage space, anecdotally narrower footwell than CX A350 or 777
AY A330 (JFK-HEL leg) is old
Food (although I know CX has its detractors)
No Business Extra earning for AY coded flights
IRROPS handling reports, especially if there is AY-CX misconnect at HKG

Am I missing anything? TIA!

Last edited by sambagrrl07; Jan 27, 20 at 10:40 am Reason: accuracy
Old Jan 27, 20, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07 View Post
I'm posting this in the AA forum because that's where we earn. DH and I are looking to go to TPE this summer in J and AY's I fares are US$1,500 cheaper than CX's. So far as I can see, the pros and cons for AY are below.

Pros
Significantly cheaper
More EQMs (2 vs. 1.5 per mile), same EQD rate
Possible quick Helsinki tour (6.5 hour layover each way, and we've never been)

Cons
AY A350 (HEL-HKG leg) lack of storage space, anecdotally narrower footwell than CX A350 or 777
AY A330 (JFK-HEL leg) is old
Food (although I know CX has its detractors)
No Business Extra earning for AY coded flights
IRROPS handling reports, especially if there is AY-CX misconnect at HKG

Am I missing anything? TIA!
For a $3,000 savings between the two of you, I could easily deal with all of the "cons" you've listed, most of which are just minor nuances between the AY and CX soft/hard products. Would you really spend $3,000 more over a supposed lack of storage space in business class on the HEL-HKG leg?

If there is an AY-CX misconnect you'll just be rebooked on the next available option to TPE, no different than any other misconnect, not sure what you mean there.
sambagrrl07 and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I love CX so I guess I am reluctant to let it go. But I failed to mention that one of our flights will be reimbursed, so the savings for us personally is $1,500. Itís a good chunk of change, so am leaning toward AY.

Iíve seen some bad IRROPS stories regarding AY, so thatís why Iím asking. But I agree everythingís leaning toward booking with AY at this point.
Old Jan 27, 20, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
For a $3,000 savings between the two of you, I could easily deal with all of the "cons" you've listed, most of which are just minor nuances between the AY and CX soft/hard products. Would you really spend $3,000 more over a supposed lack of storage space in business class on the HEL-HKG leg?
Yeah, this is Flyertalk--getting an extra 12K EQMs for $1500 less per person seems well worth the cons as you've listed them. Having said that, the biggest con of the AY routing for me would be the two consecutive overnight flights versus one long flight where you'll hopefully get good sleep and then be able to sleep in a real bed the following night. Plus you're probably losing at least a day in TPE. Whether this was worth $1500 or not would probably depend on how my EQD forecast for the year was looking.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:17 am
Original Poster

DH is experiencing Platinum for the first time this year and agreed to paid J instead of an award flight in order to pursue it again, so I think weíll go with AY as it gets each of us more EQMs. We would lose a day and a half in TPE which doesnít bother me that much as Iíve been several times already, and DH seems fine with the timing.

I was posting to see if anyone would come back with a ďnever AY!Ē comment, but too many arguments for it right now.
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:46 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
If you have a long trip in Taiwan, losing a day won't significantly impact your trip. Plus, the $1500 you save on your flights could pay for lots of food or activities in Taiwan. In case of AY-CX misconnect, CX has lots of HKG-TPE flights so you can easily be rebooked. Enjoy Taiwan.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Just as another data point: in October, 2018, I was scheduled to fly AY from Chicago to Munich. Due to damage to the AY aircraft, my flight from ORD to HEL was canceled. Not only was I able to get a real, live operator on the phone with a wait time of under an hour, but they were able to get me a seat in Business class on AA through London connecting to the LHR-HEL AY flight (operated at the time by an A350). As an added bonus, they rebooked me in full J, so I earned 3X EQM on the ORD-LHR leg.
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman View Post
Just as another data point: in October, 2018, I was scheduled to fly AY from Chicago to Munich. Due to damage to the AY aircraft, my flight from ORD to HEL was canceled. Not only was I able to get a real, live operator on the phone with a wait time of under an hour, but they were able to get me a seat in Business class on AA through London connecting to the LHR-HEL AY flight (operated at the time by an A350). As an added bonus, they rebooked me in full J, so I earned 3X EQM on the ORD-LHR leg.
Much appreciated feedback - thanks very much!
Old Jan 27, 20, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I would choose the non stop option from either of the Taiwanese carriers on the route (EVA air or China Airlines). But if you insist on oneworld check the premium fare deals forum on this site. There is (or maybe was?) a good deal through Japan on JAL in business to Taipei
Old Jan 27, 20, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately the JAL deal doesnít work for our dates (and yes, weíre going for oneworld).
Old Jan 27, 20, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I fly 3-4 times a year from either ORD or JFK to China r/t. I've been flying AY J because of the significant $$ savings, and the increased EQD and EQM earned.
While I don't really care for the A330's seats, the A350's are decent - and for the savings and benefits, I can live with the A330. I need to sleep on the HEL-China flights (CAN / PVG / PEK) because I typically have to hit the ground running as soon as I land, and the A350 seats are good enough to sleep in.

I've never bothered to venture into Helsinki during the layover, but I have done overnight stopovers on the way home. Uber works well there. Visit Fazer if you get a chance!
They have a decent lounge in HEL with nice showers.

The AY airport staff, flight crews and lounge staff have always been super friendly and helpful. If you do venture out during the layover, they have a priority security screening area upstairs, and it's always been empty when I've been there.

I don't fly for the food, and most of the time I don't eat much but a snack on the plane, so I can't comment much on the food, but the folks around me seem to enjoy it. I do know you can get a burger at any time, which I have taken them up on. You can check out their menus here: https://www.finnair.com/en/nordic-kitchen

One last thing to note - over the course of probably 48 AY flights, I've never had any of them post to my AA account without making a missing mile requests and follow-up phone calls to the AAdvantage desk, so save your BP's! AA's told me many times that AY and BA are horrible with posting to AA.

If you have any specific questions , feel free to ask.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman View Post
I was also affected by this. It happened while I was in China. They offered to put me on another Oneworld carrier for the trip home, but by the time I ready to head home, they had worked out their wet lease with Air Italia, and I decided to keep my original routing , flying the Air Italia flight from HEL-ORD.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skydve1 View Post
I fly 3-4 times a year from either ORD or JFK to China r/t. I've been flying AY J because of the significant $$ savings, and the increased EQD and EQM earned.
While I don't really care for the A330's seats, the A350's are decent - and for the savings and benefits, I can live with the A330. I need to sleep on the HEL-China flights (CAN / PVG / PEK) because I typically have to hit the ground running as soon as I land, and the A350 seats are good enough to sleep in.

I've never bothered to venture into Helsinki during the layover, but I have done overnight stopovers on the way home. Uber works well there. Visit Fazer if you get a chance!
They have a decent lounge in HEL with nice showers.

The AY airport staff, flight crews and lounge staff have always been super friendly and helpful. If you do venture out during the layover, they have a priority security screening area upstairs, and it's always been empty when I've been there.

I don't fly for the food, and most of the time I don't eat much but a snack on the plane, so I can't comment much on the food, but the folks around me seem to enjoy it. I do know you can get a burger at any time, which I have taken them up on. You can check out their menus here: https://www.finnair.com/en/nordic-kitchen

One last thing to note - over the course of probably 48 AY flights, I've never had any of them post to my AA account without making a missing mile requests and follow-up phone calls to the AAdvantage desk, so save your BP's! AA's told me many times that AY and BA are horrible with posting to AA.

If you have any specific questions , feel free to ask.
Super helpful, skydve1 - it would be our first time on AY and to HEL, so good to hear about your experiences (and Fazer!). I have a friend in Helsinki so we might try to look her up, and will certainly pick her brain for places to see quickly.
Old Jan 27, 20, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

And yes, I always save BPs!
Old Jan 27, 20, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If you do go through Helsinki and enjoy nature I would suggest a trip Nuuksio national park. Can be done with public transport (google for more info). If this is close to mid summer you can do it even if you are taking the late HKG departure since the evenings don't get dark at all. Of course many other things to do in Helsinki but Nuuksio is something very unique so close to a center of a fairly large city.

One other note that when booking connection with Finnair from HKG to TPE choose CX. Finnair website especially tryis to push CI options and it sometimes takes a while to get CX to pop up as an option.
sambagrrl07 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: