Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club Mobile Check-in - Disabled in iOS?

Admirals Club Mobile Check-in - Disabled in iOS?

Old Jan 26, 20, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Question Admirals Club Mobile Check-in - Disabled in iOS?

Since the new check-in requirement (boarding pass instead of Citi AA Executive Card) started in November 2019, I am not seeing the mobile check-in option in my iPhone's AA app. It was extremely convenient option to skip the long line for checking-in the Admirals Clubs during busy rush hours. Has it been disabled? I asked several agents at JFK and LAX, and they have no information (very few knew or used it).

Those who didn't know about the mobile check-in procedure to Admirals Club, you needed to take the following steps: When you are close to an Admirals Club, open AA app, click on the airport code link (for example, JFK) shown below your departure or arrival time. It will open a real-time map of the airport surrounding you. Admirals clubs are typically painted/marked in red. Tap on an Admirals club (anywhere within the red color) and it will open a page with the club info. Before November 2019, there was a wide button in blue color for self-service mobile check-in. When you tap on it, the app will check you in and display a code on the screen. You are then allowed to skip and cut the line in the club and show the screen displaying the code to any check-in agent and walk inside. No need to stop anywhere. I used it at many clubs since summer. It was extremely useful. For some reason, the mobile check-in button disappeared from my app since November!
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Had no idea this was an option, though check-in experience at clubs would lean towards still needing to stop and provide code to agent. Some minor time savings vs providing boarding pass, but not much.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
I loved this mobile club entry option for paid AC members too, but I heard that it was disabled when the boarding pass requirement went into effect. I agree that it was very efficient, if you could find an agent who knew what it was, but I guess it never really caught on, and then it went away with the added requirement of checking for a flight.
Old Jan 27, 20, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
I loved this mobile club entry option for paid AC members too, but I heard that it was disabled when the boarding pass requirement went into effect. I agree that it was very efficient, if you could find an agent who knew what it was, but I guess it never really caught on, and then it went away with the added requirement of checking for a flight.
AA never advertised the mobile check-in option for Admirals Club. But it was tremendously useful. I accidentally found it and used it until it was disabled. The app knows about my boarding passes. So there is no need to disable it. In fact, it is bad thing to take away useful feathers. I hope AA will enable it again soon.

Also, in case anyone doesn't know, you can pre-order meals from the AA app as well. Just go to the trip and tap on "Manage trip". It will take you to your reservation page (looks similar like what you see in aa.com) and there you will find the link to pre-order meals.

These are useful feathers in the app. AA should notify them instead of disabling them. I hope the mobile check-in to the clubs comes back soon!
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In this day and age, it is absurd that one can't simply scan the BP to enter an AC (or FL). The rules for admission are simple and logical and agents can already determine admissibility based on a BP.

While I suppose that there is always some risk of fraud, it is fairly minor and a BP is good enough to get one onto an aircraft.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:29 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
All we have to do today is have our boarding pass scanned -- no cards, no ID (once it's scanned by an agent). That honestly seems simpler than this mobile club entry option (that I too didn't know existed).
BWISkyGuy and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
All we have to do today is have our boarding pass scanned -- no cards, no ID (once it's scanned by an agent). That honestly seems simpler than this mobile club entry option (that I too didn't know existed).
It is easier when there is no line. The problem occurs at larger clubs when reception has to act like a bouncer to keep the scammers out and at smaller clubs when the 1-2 agents are tied up with customer problems.

No need for a separate scan. Simply scan your device which can be attached to a buzzer / flashing light for the scammers.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Plat; former UA Gold
I've had a couple of agents mention that the mobile check-in (taking into account the boarding pass) is being redeveloped, but I have no way to validate that or know where it is on the heap of priorities within AA's app needs.

I used it 100% of the time at stations where it was available, and even then it's still not my most pressing wish for the app. Just scanning the mobile boarding pass is almost as fast, especially since I hardly felt comfortable jumping the line (as instructed) with the mobile entry since the line is most often short or moving very quickly when I enter.
Tintin likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy View Post
I've had a couple of agents mention that the mobile check-in (taking into account the boarding pass) is being redeveloped, but I have no way to validate that or know where it is on the heap of priorities within AA's app needs.

I used it 100% of the time at stations where it was available, and even then it's still not my most pressing wish for the app. Just scanning the mobile boarding pass is almost as fast, especially since I hardly felt comfortable jumping the line (as instructed) with the mobile entry since the line is most often short or moving very quickly when I enter.
Lets hope so. Check-in Line in some clubs are getting really bad (last week at LAX T4 I waited long while agents are arguing with a bunch of folks who were denied entry).
Often1 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 10:37 pm

Never tried the mobile option. I liked how they used to handle it at MIA when the lines got long. If you had your physical AC membership card, there was a person with a clipboard who would write down your AAdvantage number and then send you in. The whole thing took about 20 seconds. It was much more efficient than the new process of scanning your boarding pass, staring at the screen and looking confused for a while, clicking a few times and then eventually admitting you.
Old Jan 28, 20, 11:16 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by _kurt View Post
Never tried the mobile option. I liked how they used to handle it at MIA when the lines got long. If you had your physical AC membership card, there was a person with a clipboard who would write down your AAdvantage number and then send you in. The whole thing took about 20 seconds. It was much more efficient than the new process of scanning your boarding pass, staring at the screen and looking confused for a while, clicking a few times and then eventually admitting you.
You would think, having defined this new policy a year in advanced, that they would have developed a better and faster process for admitting members and guests.
Old Jan 28, 20, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
You would think, having defined this new policy a year in advanced, that they would have developed a better and faster process for admitting members and guests.
The current process takes 10-15 secs. The agent scans one's boarding pass and lets you in. I've never waited longer at any club in DCA, RDU, PHL, CLT, DFW, PHX or ORD since the change went into effect. I've also brought guests in, and the agent just looks at their boarding pass, nothing else.
BWISkyGuy and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jan 28, 20, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
The current process takes 10-15 secs. The agent scans one's boarding pass and lets you in. I've never waited longer at any club in DCA, RDU, PHL, CLT, DFW, PHX or ORD since the change went into effect. I've also brought guests in, and the agent just looks at their boarding pass, nothing else.
This assumes that everyone is eligible for entry (no questions, arguing, etc.), has their boarding pass out and ready to scan (and ID too if not on file), and the line isn't a mile long. The mobile checkin guarantees no waiting in any line.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 28, 20, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA CK (as of 4/19), Million miler (1.93m)
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy View Post
The mobile A/C check-in app needing to be redeveloped makes sense. Before, it was probably tied just to someone's A/C membership. Now, it has to be tied to both someone's membership and their same day ticket. Doesn't sound like a big fix to me and hopefully they will be able to redeploy the functionality in the app soon.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 28, 20, 10:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
This assumes that everyone is eligible for entry (no questions, arguing, etc.), has their boarding pass out and ready to scan (and ID too if not on file), and the line isn't a mile long. The mobile checkin guarantees no waiting in any line.
+1 Exactly. The last times I was in LAX and MIA, the lines were out the door, not necessarily because of volume, but with lots of customers arguing over why they can't get in with their Amex Green card...or why they can't get in even though their boarding pass says "PRIORITY" on it...or explaining that they can't use the lounge because they're not flying AA that day. (Those are just the ones I overheard whilst in line.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: