Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transatlantic price variations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Transatlantic price variations?

Looking at business flights from DUB to the USA for 28 Nov 20 (yes, I know that’s a way away lol)

currently for November AA flights are coming out much higher than BA Or Aer Lingus.

AA experts here, when normally after flights released, do fares drop?

many thanks in advance
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA/BA don't really compete with Aer Lingus on pricing due to it's LCC status. Which route are you looking at?
So it seems maybe you are looking at DUB-MCO for 28Nov to 12 or 13Dec based on this -- BHX-DUB nov 20 not showing?
Cheaper fares generally require mid-week travel (Mon-Thu departures) and it can also be difficult finding I bucket availability (lowest fare bucket) for weekend departures. Did find I bucket for outbound and return for 28Nov - 13Dec on ITA if willing to transfer between LGW-LHR. These are cheapest I fares, so unlikely to go lower than this (the ILW5T1S4 fares are not "placeholder" fares, they are seasonally restricted fares and unlikely to change much if they do happened to be replaced).

SEASONALITY - PERMITTED 01JUL THROUGH 31AUG OR 22NOV THROUGH 29NOV OR 22DEC THROUGH 06JAN OR 04APR THROUGH 19APR FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. SEASON IS BASED ON TRIP DATE.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 25, 2020 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:36 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The fares loaded for travel that far out are probably placeholders. You'll probably see something better towards late Summer.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Yes, it’s a round trip.
when I look via BA, normally AA fares and BA fares are quite similar, but at the moment, it’s quite large coming back
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's really not that unusual. AA has no I bucket available on the AA operated flights with single connection and you are getting D fares for those flights and that is why they are pricing so high on both BA above and AA website. AA is able to get I bucket on the codeshared BA operated flights to/from LGW as you can see above from the ITA Matrix price quote above. AA and BA look to be charging similar fares on the same flights and thus coordinating. AA website just doesn't seem willing to show the ITA option listed above (you'd have to phone to book or use bookwithmatrix). AA has longer double connect options which have I fare available (again will involve code-share flights on BA metal to/from LHR) which avoids LGW<->LHR transit hassles if that causes concern. It's probably too early to book at this point and there's a possibility AA will open some I bucket on it's own flights at some point. Although 28Nov falls after major US holiday (Thanksgiving) and there may be significant demand that date. You could set a Google Flights alert for some AA routings and wait and see if I bucket opens up.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 26, 2020 at 8:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.