Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't get business class fares to appear on aa.com

Old Jan 25, 20, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson Rewards Silver, Expedia Gold

For certain routes, particularly going from the US to the MIddle East, I will set the booking engine to look for business class only. But it only shows economy fares. I also set it to look for all airlines. Does anybody else have this problem or know what to do about it?
Old Jan 25, 20, 1:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
What routes are you looking for? Its possible that for the route you are searching there's not a codeshare flight where AA has J availability on their flight numbers, given most ME routes will involve a partner, but impossible to say without more information.
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Searching for TPA to DMM on June 5. I've tried changing the settings to look only for business/first and also setting it to look for all fares. In both cases it only shows economy. I've also tried the same search on different browsers and on the Apple mobile app. Nothing helps. I had a similar problem last year for TPA to BAH.

I've done the same search on google flights and cheapo air and business class fares for AA and other oneworld appear.
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by arabiamark View Post
Searching for TPA to DMM on June 5. I've tried changing the settings to look only for business/first and also setting it to look for all fares. In both cases it only shows economy. I've also tried the same search on different browsers and on the Apple mobile app. Nothing helps. I had a similar problem last year for TPA to BAH.

I've done the same search on google flights and cheapo air and business class fares for AA and other oneworld appear.
Are you searching one-way fares? I got your same results when searching one-way. But I found plenty of biz, first, and PE when looking for round-trip.
Old Jan 25, 20, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan View Post
Are you searching one-way fares? I got your same results when searching one-way. But I found plenty of biz, first, and PE when looking for round-trip.
Sorry I forgot to include that info. But yes, it was searching for one way fares. Is it normal to have that happen?
Old Jan 25, 20, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by arabiamark View Post
Sorry I forgot to include that info. But yes, it was searching for one way fares. Is it normal to have that happen?
Beats me. I just tried it out to see what would happen and noticed the difference.
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I had the same issue happen 2 days ago, albeit it was an award booking, but no matter what it kept coming back as economy. At first I went wow, this new dynamic pricing is great, only to realize it was too good to be true.
Old Jan 26, 20, 4:24 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
I am having this issue with AA codeshare with BA flights JFK-LHR (and v.v.) but in A class which is wide open, but AA website does not pop up the couple of flights I desired, but the rest came up. Also noticed something is not right which happened before that F7 but A0 during a couple of weeks in June (again wide open) but later on (~ a week or 2 later) this was “normalized” again , or at least this time I hope it will.
Old Feb 1, 20, 7:20 am
Original Poster

So I've looked into this a bit more. Here's the complete picture so far:

A search on aa.com for TPA-DMM one way on June 5 will only show economy fares no matter how I fiddle with the settings (show all fares, business/first only, aa only, all airlines). All of the fares shown for this day are for RJ..
TPA-BAH on the same date shows business class fares. The BA flight to BAH continues on to DMM after an hour. The fares shown here are all BA with a few GF.
TPA-DMS also shows business class fares. DMS is the code for the bus or car transport from Bahrain across the causeway to the Dammam area of Saudi. Also mostly BA flights.
A round trip search for DMM-TPA with a return on June 5 shows business class fares for the return trip, even though that very trip searched as a one way on the same date will only show economy fares. Both BA and RJ appear for this search.
Searches for TPA-DMM on other days returned a mixed bag of results. About half the days in May would only show economy fares, and half would show business. But something else curious happened. For example a search for May 18 only showed economy fares. But a search for May 17 showed business fares. And from that May 17 search result page I could shift right to May 18 and also find business fares that way.
So I went to google flights and searched for TPA-DMM one way on June 5, keeping it narrowed to Oneworld. And there I could find business class fares for the BA flights that refused to appear on aa.com. Then I clicked on the link to choose those flights and the link took me to...wait for it....aa.com where it gave me a business class fare for June 5 one way TPA-DMM. Hmm.
Finally I called technical help for aa.com. They couldn't tell me much, only saying that business fares weren't available for TPA-DMM. I pointed out to them all the exceptions I found. Her response was basically...well, hmmf, hem haw, bla bla.
So at least, on my own, I found the way around the issue to be able to purchase on aa.com and get the full miles for my AAdvantage credit card. But there can sure be some byzantine happenings when searching for flights and fares.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: