Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD - SFO ... just demoralizing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
On AA2634, Told groups 6-9 are going to have to check a bag. OK, 10 people deep in group 3, SPACE GONE EVERYONE MUST CHECK. Get on the plane in group 4 to see 6 FULLY EMPTY bins. They made a bunch of announcements to indicate that the plane had 100+ elites, but I'm sorry they were NOT checking boarding group and I counted and about that many boarded before group 3 was even called. Going for GreAAt.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:11 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It’s a D0 thing. When you put on-time or early departure as the priority, something else has to suffer... The agent gains nothing by you getting your carryon bag, and has potentially everything to lose.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
It’s a D0 thing. When you put on-time or early departure as the priority, something else has to suffer... The agent gains nothing by you getting your carryon bag, and has potentially everything to lose.
I get it but a broken boarding system with loads of people flooding the entrance, and people boarding before their group also delays boarding.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by cmd320
This is accurate however after 8pm a snack service was provided consisting of something like a wrap or entree salad. Basically a higher quality version of many of the lunch options today.
Whenever I fly and have an opportunity to eat, I eat like that's my last meal. Arrive at the airport later? Load up on all the food I can and bring it to the plane. Eat before like you're going to starve the whole flight. Bring your own entertainment, water, bathroom, everything. This strategy has never failed me once.

If you rely on others that you cannot absolutely bank on, even when you are paying for it, you're going to suffer either way--in your wallet or just plain suffer. I always prepare to be let down to keep my suffering to a minimum.
Zacnlinc and Sandeep1 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I agree with the "recalibration". You come back to the US and pay more and get less (except for fast food)
Yep, and you don't even get the free parasites and diarrhea that you get with the Asian options.

Seriously, the only adjustment I make when I come back home from the other places of the world is to remind myself that I have the opportunity to keep things clean neat, and in order in this part of the world and I should exercise that to the fullest and never take it for granted. Sometimes I feel so happy at the clean floors I want to lick them because the chances that I would die from it would be slim unlike drinking tainted water in other parts of the world that put me in the hospital.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
If I had been the CA, I would have delayed the departure until the lavatories were cleaned. That is unacceptable .

Very sorry you had this experience.
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by SamirD
Whenever I fly and have an opportunity to eat, I eat like that's my last meal. Arrive at the airport later? Load up on all the food I can and bring it to the plane. Eat before like you're going to starve the whole flight. Bring your own entertainment, water, bathroom, everything. This strategy has never failed me once.

If you rely on others that you cannot absolutely bank on, even when you are paying for it, you're going to suffer either way--in your wallet or just plain suffer. I always prepare to be let down to keep my suffering to a minimum.
Yup! Money advice here folks, do it.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I flew 2634 yesterday. I was surprised how full the plane was for a Sunday morning. I was #5 of 31 on the upgrade list... only one cleared.

I was sitting in a non-MCE aisle, so I went ahead and checked my suitcase, allowing me guiltless, overhead stowage of my backpack and winter coat. It was a real show watching everyone place all their belongings 10 rows or more back. (It’s also amusing to see how many people are clueless to maximizing space in the bins, but that’s another subject.)

Overall the flight was fine. We left ORD pretty much on time; we landed early in SFO; and the lavatory was fine when I used it.

My only comment (not complaint) was with the food and beverage service. First I was offered food, and I asked for the fruit and cheese plate. The attendant handed it to me, and then checked the CC reader. He quickly acknowledged me by name and moved on. When I was offered something to drink, I asked for a double Bloody Mary. She reached for the CC reader, and I smiled and told her I am EP. I guess I should not have said anything, because her demeanor changed a bit, and she said, “Well as an EP you should know you can only get one.”

I held out my wallet and offered to pay - she said she would charge me for the “next one”.

So not really a big deal, but I am quite used to being offered a double without even asking.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:09 am

Yep, and you don't even get the free parasites and diarrhea that you get with the Asian options.

Seriously, the only adjustment I make when I come back home from the other places of the world is to remind myself that I have the opportunity to keep things clean neat, and in order in this part of the world and I should exercise that to the fullest and never take it for granted. Sometimes I feel so happy at the clean floors I want to lick them because the chances that I would die from it would be slim unlike drinking tainted water in other parts of the world that put me in the hospital.
Are you serious? You know not all of Asia is dirty.
And then there is the exchange rate. Canada is cheap for Americans right now, so things are a quarter cheaper. Plus in most countries you do not tip, so that is more off.
And in CA and NYC you get hit with another tax/fee for I don't know what
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Ummm, huh?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Yup! Money advice here folks, do it.
How ironic--my real life brother's name is Sandip.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Are you serious? You know not all of Asia is dirty.
And then there is the exchange rate. Canada is cheap for Americans right now, so things are a quarter cheaper. Plus in most countries you do not tip, so that is more off.
And in CA and NYC you get hit with another tax/fee for I don't know what
Oh, I've seen the nice parts, but they are few and far between. I don't care about the money when it comes to health and hygiene.

If it was so bad in the west, why does the east migrate to it like moths to a flame? Gotta be doing something right...

Last edited by SamirD; Feb 24, 2020 at 2:15 pm Reason: missing word

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.