FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Another round of free status challenges, by mail (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2005870-another-round-free-status-challenges-mail.html)

Gig103 Jan 23, 2020 1:08 pm

Another round of free status challenges, by mail

My wife and I both received targeted mailers offering us free Gold status through April 19, 4 stickers, and the challenge rules to maintain it are 7000 EQM, $850 EQD.

I don't see why I shouldn't register and get the stickers, but I don't think it's going to sway me to fly Oneworld to Amsterdam in April. I have been satisfied with DL (and sometimes WN on my PHX returns), but I thought I'd report that these mailers are in the wild.

I will add though, that if I did the math right, I could achieve this with just the outbound (since our planned return is after the 19th). SEA-LHR-AMS is 5300 EQM and so if I fly business it would be either 7950 (BA) or 10600 (AA).

EDIT: The URL if you want to see if you've been targeted is:
https://www.aa.com/yourpromotions

Dave Noble Jan 23, 2020 1:13 pm

If the distance for SEA-LHR-AMS is 5300 miles, then the EQM earning in J would be 15,900 regardless of whether it is BA or AA. Discount business would be 10,600 on BA or AA. There is no difference in earning on either

Gig103 Jan 23, 2020 2:17 pm

So, my wife's offer was just as I described but when I logged in, my offer was better than the mailer. In addition to 8 stickers I can earn more than Gold.

Travel with free AAdvantageŽ Gold status through April 19, 2020. You’ll also receive 8 complimentary 500-mile upgrades when you register by January 30, 2020.Extend or elevate your status – up to Executive Platinum – through January 31, 2021, by earning the required Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) and Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs):
  • $850 EQDs and 7,000 EQMs for Gold
  • $1,500 EQDs and 12,500 EQMs for Platinum
  • $2,400 EQDs and 20,000 EQMs for Platinum Pro
  • $4,000 EQDs and 35,000 EQMs for Executive Platinum

Rules:

To extend your status, you must earn qualifying EQDs and EQMs when flying on eligible tickets for flights operated by American Airlines, or marketed by American, American EagleŽ, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas, between the date you register and April 19, 2020.

Benefits of AAdvantageŽ Gold status include:

• Complimentary upgrades on flights 500 miles or less within North America (confirmed as early as 24 hours before departure)
  • Priority check-in, security and boarding
  • 7 award miles per U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Complimentary access to Preferred seats
  • 1 free checked bag
  • oneworldŽ Ruby℠ status on partner airlines
If you reach Platinum status, you’ll have complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra.

abk Jan 23, 2020 4:12 pm

My kid who hasn't flown in years with AA just got a Platinum Pro offer.

KBMIFlyer Jan 23, 2020 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by abk (Post 31987141)
My kid who hasn't flown in years with AA just got a Platinum Pro offer.

My daughter flew twice last year, same thing Plat Pro through April. She probably will not get to use it.

fotographer Jan 24, 2020 3:59 am

maybe I should stop being so loyal to AA, and hopefully get one of the offers to get EXP without having to spend $15K and 100K bis..

I know AA wants to drum up more customers.. but sorry, you are starting to really get my goat.. (just trying to be polite)
its a bit like the cable companies, been a long time customer. paid your bill on time.. but no you dont get the great deals we are offering new customers

Dave Noble Jan 24, 2020 4:04 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 31988870)
maybe I should stop being so loyal to AA, and hopefully get one of the offers to get EXP without having to spend $15K and 100K bis..

You already hold EP status - why would it give you some fast track bonus to get EP status?

fotographer Jan 24, 2020 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31988886)
You already hold EP status - why would it give you some fast track bonus to get EP status?

your quick... but in this case, its all about rewarding those of us, that do have status..
lets say AA this year says... hey all those have have status can retain the same status this year for less then we normally require..
so for EXP your spend for this year will only be lets say $6000 and 50K... again.. just a thought

tropicalmn Jan 25, 2020 10:23 am

Wife received email for free gold status. Problem the AA member number in the email is not her current AA account number. No free gold status listed in her promotions when she logs in. Suspect a few years ago a second AA account number was opened when booking a ticket thinking original (current)account was totally closed after going dormant for 18 months and miles zeroed. Any ideas on how to best contact AA to see if anyone has authority to connect offer for Gold to her current account?

Dave Noble Jan 25, 2020 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 31988900)
your quick... but in this case, its all about rewarding those of us, that do have status..
lets say AA this year says... hey all those have have status can retain the same status this year for less then we normally require..
so for EXP your spend for this year will only be lets say $6000 and 50K... again.. just a thought

I cannot think of any reason why it would do so. The fast track to attaining status is to try and get people to switch; no logic at all to ust encouraging dong 50k on AA and maintaining status and giving an encouragement to do 50k elsewhere and get status there too

It seems to make sense to try to encourage those that are making travel choices based on pretty cards to switch, but not to discourage existing members to travel with it

fotographer Jan 25, 2020 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31993958)
I cannot think of any reason why it would do so. The fast track to attaining status is to try and get people to switch; no logic at all to ust encouraging dong 50k on AA and maintaining status and giving an encouragement to do 50k elsewhere and get status there too

It seems to make sense to try to encourage those that are making travel choices based on pretty cards to switch, but not to discourage existing members to travel with it

Fair enough counterpoint.... one can only wish

AlphaTango Jan 25, 2020 2:35 pm

$15K / 100K EXPs have nothing to worry about in terms of upgrade competition from newly-minted status-challenge EXPs. I'm a fairly low-grade EXP myself and generally come nowhere close to the top 5 on an upgrade list on popular routes. The value for me are the SWUs (which I've never had any problem using), OWE status and the flexibility with award bookings.

branston Jan 25, 2020 9:16 pm

I never get targeted for these promotions. I was EXP 4 years ago, but switched over to UA and have flown AA only sporadically since. I still have 35 stickers in my account from when my status dropped to Platinum for a couple of years but can't use them as I don't have current AA status. I'm currently flying whoever has the best deal these days, but would transfer a lot more flying to AA if I got this promo.

AAExPlat Jan 26, 2020 1:39 am

Originally Posted by AlphaTango (Post 31994101)
$15K / 100K EXPs have nothing to worry about in terms of upgrade competition from newly-minted status-challenge EXPs. I'm a fairly low-grade EXP myself and generally come nowhere close to the top 5 on an upgrade list on popular routes. The value for me are the SWUs (which I've never had any problem using), OWE status and the flexibility with award bookings.

So you don't think those folks earning EXP from this challenge by spending only $4k will compete for C space with their 4 SWUs with regular EXP customers?

Dave Noble Jan 26, 2020 1:59 am

Originally Posted by AAExPlat (Post 31995482)
So you don't think those folks earning EXP from this challenge by spending only $4k will compete for C space with their 4 SWUs with regular EXP customers?

Not so much - since these people having spent $4,000 will likely have a much lower EQD than someone who has earned/renewed EP status normally and so lower on any waitlist

Where C is available at time of booking, then either would be able to get the upgrade