Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ad: “Fly direct to Boston. End up somewhere totally unexpected”

AA ad: “Fly direct to Boston. End up somewhere totally unexpected”

Old Jan 23, 20, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
Red face

OH No. Where are you taking me?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 23, 20 at 2:08 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jan 23, 20, 1:31 pm

Doesn't direct usually have a stop?
Old Jan 23, 20, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
Doesn't direct usually have a stop?
no. All non stop services are direct services

Where a flight goes from A-B via C that is also a direct flight - such as QF1 that goes Sydney-London via Singapore
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The picture looks like the coast of Long Island (Fire Island, the Hamptons), or maybe even somewhere like P-Town. If I'm flying from LHR to BOS I probably have no desire to end up on a beach on Long Island or P-Town, unless that was my final destination. It's like having an add that says fly direct from LAX to MIA and showing pictures of Disney World in Orlando.
Old Jan 23, 20, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I hope this doesn't involve an unplanned descent.
Old Jan 23, 20, 2:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The thread title has been edited to comply with the FlyerTalk Rules. (The original thread title is shown as the post title.)

4 Thread Titles
link to this Rule

Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic. If you wish to change your thread's title, please contact a moderator. Moderators may also edit thread titles to clarify content.

Old Jan 23, 20, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by greasy View Post
Hahaha, I would love to meet the individual who thought that was good marketing for an airline.
nk15 and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Hahaha, I would love to meet the individual who thought that was good marketing for an airline.
at least they are being truthful. You never know where you gonna end up with AA.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
The picture looks like the coast of Long Island (Fire Island, the Hamptons), or maybe even somewhere like P-Town. If I'm flying from LHR to BOS I probably have no desire to end up on a beach on Long Island or P-Town, unless that was my final destination. It's like having an add that says fly direct from LAX to MIA and showing pictures of Disney World in Orlando.
Considering LISK, I'd hate to end up there too, especially as my final destination.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
YQX. In other word, the operating aircraft will be B738.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
no. All non stop services are direct services
I used to think so, as well. But I've seen a difference of opinion about this, with some saying direct flights can include nonstops, and others saying that a direct flight is only a direct flight if it makes at least one stop between the passenger's origination and destination airports.

Regardless of which view is correct, I think it's foolish for an airline to market a nonstop flight as a "direct" flight, since the latter can include one or more intermediate stops.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
I used to think so, as well. But I've seen a difference of opinion about this, with some saying direct flights can include nonstops, and others saying that a direct flight is only a direct flight if it makes at least one stop between the passenger's origination and destination airports.

Regardless of which view is correct, I think it's foolish for an airline to market a nonstop flight as a "direct" flight, since the latter can include one or more intermediate stops.
99% of consumers are not going to know the difference.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

From the IATA glossary of terms
Any flight ticketed as a single flight coupon, irrespective of whether there are enroute stops and/or changes of aircraft types
CPRich, nancypants, JDiver and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:04 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Somebody is stealing my jokes for their new ad campaign, lol...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31248810-post1404.html
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Possibly related to the guy who thought up Amelia Earhart luggage? They’ve been looking for her since 1937.
cmd320 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: