Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unhappy customers over no inflight power or WiFi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unhappy customers over no inflight power or WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
They have. My laptop runs for 6-9 hours. Just avoid some of the power sucking options when configuring the PC you purchase like, FHD instead of UHD screens effectively doubles your battery time, SSD instead of hard drive, and choosing a 52WHr battery over 45WHr (Dell sells/sold the same XPS13 laptop in Home and Business with one of the few differences being the Business config is 52WHr and Home is 45WHr).
Way!?! No way!?!?

SSD is what some type of voodoo technology?

This just all sounds made up by the same people who predicted we'd have flying cars like the Jetsons by now.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think you may have missed the (invisible) sarcasm smiley.
Several people seem to have, and many seem to think it's some existential crisis to sit and read for a few hours.

Or provide for themselves with clearly available technology that will outlast a trip of mild duration. I fly a lot and have not used airline IF"E" (since it is usually rotten, out of date and boring and at times, edited for shape and content), by simply bringing such entertainment with me, and a supply of stored electrons that won't be exhausted. Integrated into a device or external as a supplement. (Tip: Bring a Caterpillar 8D 12V battery - a handy 12V, 250,000 (!!!) mAh and only 130 pounds.)

I will say I discovered a couple UK comedies on CX years ago, a whole series of Peep Show and the Inbetweeners. Not much that good now, unfortunately.

For working in Y for those piteous souls flying in Y, there are lenticular screens that limit or omit the ability to see from the sides on an LCD, the latter also apparently some new invention since my portable has a yellow screen CRT of almost 6" in size.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 4, 2020 at 10:49 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Really they have?!?!?! Wow, who knew? You're making that up, trying to pull the old leg. Cannot be possible. Literally HOURS on one battery? Like the size of a car battery?
Yes, a good laptop battery should last for a 4-5 hour flight.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage; Delta Skymiles; United MileagePlus; Air Canada Aeroplan; Air France FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by mctaste
not everyone is sitting in Y, nor working on top secret things.
That's why I said "particularly in Y". Also, something doesn't have to be top secret to be confidential.

It goes further, even. If I have customer info on my screen, someone seeing it could be considered a privacy violation, for which there are laws against these days. Making my company liable. Not a risk I'd be willing to take.

It's not so much about whether what you're working on is confidential. It's about not knowing who's around you.

Originally Posted by SamOF
Well...it is possible. Signed, someone who works in Y all the time. And as a sentient, reasonably-competent adult, I use my discretion about what goes up on my laptop that a neighbor could see.

This thread is cracking me up. Sure, if you're retired, or have a job where you can not be connected for five hours, this works well for you. I'd much prefer to be reading a novel for DCA-PHX than working—and I don't need book recs; I'm an avid reader, and my before-bed novel pile is starting to totter.

But I can't—not because I'm "too important" but because I have a job that expects me to produce work product. And respond to questions or crises as they come up, not five hours later. It's not the 80's, 90's, 00's or even early 10's—and pretending it's a different decade would not endear me to others who depend on my work.

Moreover, I most certainly cannot be offline for five hours as a surprise. If I'm forced to book a flight without wifi, I'll warn colleagues that I'll be out of pocket, and either plan on not working or download what I need to work offline. If the airline knew that the advertised wifi was broken, though, and didn't warn me before the flight, I would be Not Happy.
So, because you have a job where you're expected to respond quickly, it's OK to have that expectation when you're flying? That's nuts. What kind of company expects that while flying?

WiFi is a relatively new thing on planes. Not all have it and it may not work. The expectation should be that you're not available when flying. You shouldn't have to notify colleagues if your flight doesn't have WiFi.

It's one thing to be expected to work on a flight, it's quite another to be expected to be online.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Well...it is possible. Signed, someone who works in Y all the time. And as a sentient, reasonably-competent adult, I use my discretion about what goes up on my laptop that a neighbor could see.

This thread is cracking me up. Sure, if you're retired, or have a job where you can not be connected for five hours, this works well for you. I'd much prefer to be reading a novel for DCA-PHX than working—and I don't need book recs; I'm an avid reader, and my before-bed novel pile is starting to totter.

But I can't—not because I'm "too important" but because I have a job that expects me to produce work product. And respond to questions or crises as they come up, not five hours later. It's not the 80's, 90's, 00's or even early 10's—and pretending it's a different decade would not endear me to others who depend on my work.

Moreover, I most certainly cannot be offline for five hours as a surprise. If I'm forced to book a flight without wifi, I'll warn colleagues that I'll be out of pocket, and either plan on not working or download what I need to work offline. If the airline knew that the advertised wifi was broken, though, and didn't warn me before the flight, I would be Not Happy.
Well said! I work in an industry where I have last minute deadlines popping up daily with very tight turn around times. If I’m not on top of it, you risk losing the business and/or account. Sometimes there are urgent issues and I have to step in to diffuse the situation or fix it.

The days of just reading a book on a plane and pretending you can disconnect are gone (unless you’re retired or just not working)....sorry! Even if you fly Spirit, they’re adding WiFi so there’s no excuse anymore.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I never work in Y. The flimsy tray tables are not designed to hold a beverage and snack let alone a laptop. And my employer doesn't want us working on a plane. You're on a plane, you're unreachable. Too many consultants allow clients to think they are reachable 100% of the time. Train your clients properly, I do. They will accept it.

On occasion the wifi will be out of commission and/or have malfunctioning outlets and that a/c isn't going to be taken out of service. AA is installing outlets on all mainline a/c other than the 763 (which in Y have the old cigarette lighter style). Those a/c will be just about gone at the end of this year. The LUS 757 are being retrofitted with wifi but no outlets. There's what like 9 of these. The bottom line plan ahead and have an alternative plan. With the Max debacle AA is limited on the number of a/c it can take out of service to install power ports.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Eric2203
That's why I said "particularly in Y". Also, something doesn't have to be top secret to be confidential.

It goes further, even. If I have customer info on my screen, someone seeing it could be considered a privacy violation, for which there are laws against these days. Making my company liable. Not a risk I'd be willing to take.

It's not so much about whether what you're working on is confidential. It's about not knowing who's around you.

So, because you have a job where you're expected to respond quickly, it's OK to have that expectation when you're flying? That's nuts. What kind of company expects that while flying?

WiFi is a relatively new thing on planes. Not all have it and it may not work. The expectation should be that you're not available when flying. You shouldn't have to notify colleagues if your flight doesn't have WiFi.

It's one thing to be expected to work on a flight, it's quite another to be expected to be online.
Wifi has only been on airplanes for about a decade at this point, nobody should expect it...
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

Respectfully, beg to differ.

In the 80s and 90s, I also had to produce "work product". Not billable hours, just results. I had a Skypager (Ultimate HIGH TECH at the time) for emergencies, and upon landing check in with this new thing, "voicemail", on my AT&T calling card. It was a mad dash off the plane to the phone booths. Then I dealt with issues. Everything could wait until I landed.

On the plane, uninterupted, I reviewed/approved expense reports, do employee reviews, do MY expense reports, review business plans, work on my business plan , work on presentation for next city, ...

Fast forward to the 2010's-I reviewed/approved expense reports, do employee reviews, do MY expense reports, review business plans, work on my business plan , work on presentation for next city, ...

YMMV
Maestro Ramen likes this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jan 21, 2020 at 12:12 pm
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
If you believe that you are required to be online and reachable 24/7 (and you're not a neuro-surgeon).

If you believe that your productivity is enhanced by working as many hours as possible from the most awkward of places such as airplanes.

If you liked the post above stressing the absolute necessity in the modern world to be 120% reactive.

Then you are working inefficiently and your company does not have sound processes in place.

You should probably also take a deep breath.
jcf27 and Alfonso XIV like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Eric2203

I think the point the person who posted this was trying to make is that in this day and age a lot of business is conducted in real time. While I typically don't "work" during a flight just because I use that as a time to try and disconnect and unwind, I do often get wifi, especially on longer flights. I work in sales and to be disconnected for 5+ hours in the middle of the day isn't ideal. There are often times where an "emergency" comes up and a simple response notifying a client that I am "on a plane" goes a long way. I don't think the expectation is that you should reply quickly when flying rather that expectation is you should respond quickly anytime. Obviously, it depends on the situation but "emergencies" and "new business opportunities" are sometimes short lived so being able to be connected online does have it's benefits.

Now to those who can't connect for IFE or charge a phone I don't have much sympathy. In this day and age it's simple to carry a portable charger, bring a book, or download something on a laptop or wifi. But if you are expecting wifi and it's not there and the goal was to be able to do some work I can understand people being upset.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by traveler202
On DCA-PHX and they just announced no WiFi or outlets on the LUS plane. Several people who didn’t know this ahead of time went crazy saying they have no movies or music or enough battery and the flight attendant was left saying “sorry, these old planes.”

Part of me thinks they should have prepared better but it is crazy how old this jet is.

the fact that there’s no empty seats makes clear why they haven’t spent the money - there’s no other option on this route
It has nothing to do with the age of the jet, per se. It is just that AA hasn't chosen to install wifi or the wifi is broken.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Sudoku puzzle book. Mechanical pencil with spare lead. Eraser.

I always travel with my own IFE. Stuff happens.
Black pen, extra ink cartridge 😊
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by lalala
Black pen, extra ink cartridge 😊
You do Sudoku in pen? Wow. I am impressed.

Back to the thread topic.

I can never understand how people can get on an airplane, especially long-haul, without packing their own IFE. Airline IFE breaks down. Bring your own.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
First and foremost I post my travel dates and times on my Outlook. That way a client doesn't expect an immediate response if I say I won't be able to answer emails until after ..... I've never had a client complain. I'm expected to work up to boarding time (which I often do from the AC) and until I land. Sometimes getting away from "it" for a few hours is very helpful.

I travel about 60% personal, 40% work. And traveling for personal is far less stressful although last Friday I worked in the AC before flying to LA for the weekend. Seems as though my biggest gripe when traveling personally are hotel shuttles.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:26 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
I never use plane WiFi, but I do make sure to always download some podcasts and/or movies before my flight.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
If you believe that you are required to be online and reachable 24/7 (and you're not a neuro-surgeon).

If you believe that your productivity is enhanced by working as many hours as possible from the most awkward of places such as airplanes.

If you liked the post above stressing the absolute necessity in the modern world to be 120% reactive.

Then you are working inefficiently and your company does not have sound processes in place.

You should probably also take a deep breath.
OK Boomer.

But seriously, how patronizing.
James91 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.