Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unhappy customers over no inflight power or WiFi

Unhappy customers over no inflight power or WiFi

Old Jan 21, 20, 6:09 am

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by Eric2203 View Post
I can’t imagine working on a plane. Particularly in Y. It’s just not possible.

There’s also the fact that confidential info would be visible to anyone who looks.
I also always wonder, as I could always clear see what my neighbour typing on his/her laptop during flight. Especially all the email content. Couldn't this would easily result some important message to be leaked?
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:10 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
I think it is crazy that device manufacturers have not made batteries that would last on that flight - must be what? 3 hours, 4? Ditto tablets, I am waiting for the day they break that I guess, impenetrable, tech barrier so they work for 3 or 4 hours.
They have. My laptop runs for 6-9 hours. Just avoid some of the power sucking options when configuring the PC you purchase like, FHD instead of UHD screens effectively doubles your battery time, SSD instead of hard drive, and choosing a 52WHr battery over 45WHr (Dell sells/sold the same XPS13 laptop in Home and Business with one of the few differences being the Business config is 52WHr and Home is 45WHr).
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dici View Post
I also always wonder, as I could always clear see what my neighbour typing on his/her laptop during flight. Especially all the email content. Couldn't this would easily result some important message to be leaked?
This is why many businesses prohibit employees and vendors, e.g. lawyers, accountants, consultants, from working on proprietary / top secret matters onboard. Screen protectors help to some extent, but are of limited value.
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by aaupgrade View Post
They have. My laptop runs for 6-9 hours. Just avoid some of the power sucking options when configuring the PC you purchase like, FHD instead of UHD screens effectively doubles your battery time, SSD instead of hard drive, and choosing a 52WHr battery over 45WHr (Dell sells/sold the same XPS13 laptop in Home and Business with one of the few differences being the Business config is 52WHr and Home is 45WHr).
I think you may have missed the (invisible) sarcasm smiley.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
To be fair AA had planned on retiring the LUS 321s (originally) last year. Then the Max debacle came along and now those birds will need to be around at least through the end of 2021. IIRC according to JonNYC AA will install wifi on those planes. Don't know about power outlets.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:15 am

There’s also the fact that confidential info would be visible to anyone who looks.
not everyone is sitting in Y, nor working on top secret things.
AeRoSpaceman and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by AATrout View Post
Same. A book AND a brick. The new Anker mini lineup is cheap and will take an iPad to full charge + an iPhone 2x
This.
since I retired I no longer bring a laptop on planes but do have an IPad and phone with me. I carry a battery that can fully charge both of them.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alaska has been sending e-mails 24 hours in advance when it schedules a no-wifi/IFE aircraft. It's a nice touch, but I can't imagine AA cares enough for its self loading cargo to do something like this.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 8:11 am

DFW-PDX yesterday. Pilot came on and said He was rebooting system. Came back on 20-30 minutes later and said provider was having the issue not plane. Old 321 w/out power.
Old Jan 21, 20, 8:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaConnection View Post
It all comes down to the airline and how much money they want to pump into them. Delta for example has PTV's, power, and WIFI on much older 757/767/A320's. AA decided to go a different route and has decided not to outfit most of their narrowbody fleet with PTV's (soon to be completely PTV less I'm assuming with all the 738's and A321's WITH PTV's going in and getting OASIS).
AA has begun removing the seatback IFE from those narrowbodies that have it according to the bloggers, in the continued Oasis and Kodiak projects (there are threads on each). All A321 (non-T) and 737s will end up as Oasis-Kodiak aircraft with high density seating WiFi, WiFi IFE to your device from an onboard serve , at-seat power, etc.

Progress can be monitored by looking at the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site. — link
Old Jan 21, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel

Well...it is possible. Signed, someone who works in Y all the time. And as a sentient, reasonably-competent adult, I use my discretion about what goes up on my laptop that a neighbor could see.

This thread is cracking me up. Sure, if you're retired, or have a job where you can not be connected for five hours, this works well for you. I'd much prefer to be reading a novel for DCA-PHX than working—and I don't need book recs; I'm an avid reader, and my before-bed novel pile is starting to totter.

But I can't—not because I'm "too important" but because I have a job that expects me to produce work product. And respond to questions or crises as they come up, not five hours later. It's not the 80's, 90's, 00's or even early 10's—and pretending it's a different decade would not endear me to others who depend on my work.

Moreover, I most certainly cannot be offline for five hours as a surprise. If I'm forced to book a flight without wifi, I'll warn colleagues that I'll be out of pocket, and either plan on not working or download what I need to work offline. If the airline knew that the advertised wifi was broken, though, and didn't warn me before the flight, I would be Not Happy.
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
Well...it is possible. Signed, someone who works in Y all the time. And as a sentient, reasonably-competent adult, I use my discretion about what goes up on my laptop that a neighbor could see.

This thread is cracking me up. Sure, if you're retired, or have a job where you can not be connected for five hours, this works well for you. I'd much prefer to be reading a novel for DCA-PHX than working—and I don't need book recs; I'm an avid reader, and my before-bed novel pile is starting to totter.

But I can't—not because I'm "too important" but because I have a job that expects me to produce work product. And respond to questions or crises as they come up, not five hours later. It's not the 80's, 90's, 00's or even early 10's—and pretending it's a different decade would not endear me to others who depend on my work.

Moreover, I most certainly cannot be offline for five hours as a surprise. If I'm forced to book a flight without wifi, I'll warn colleagues that I'll be out of pocket, and either plan on not working or download what I need to work offline. If the airline knew that the advertised wifi was broken, though, and didn't warn me before the flight, I would be Not Happy.
+1

DCA-PHX isn't transoceanic where it's reasonable to expect the signal might cut out. Many people are under an expectation to be reasonably available by email during working hours...

I've had one too many flights recently where the wifi was out but we weren't told anything until after pushing back from the gate. Yes, I can still work from my laptop offline, but there really ought to be a warning about out-of-service wifi before boarding. I can certainly foresee situations where I'd rather take the next flight than risk several hours offline.
AeRoSpaceman and James91 like this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:06 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
At least the gate agent announced at the gate that there wasn't WiFi, allowing people to be warned about being offline. It's extremely annoying to find out at 10K feet there's no WiFi. "Excuse me, FA, is there something wrong with the Internet?" "Oh yes, Mr. Catbert, the Internet was out on the trip here too". Well, thanks for letting us know.

Unfortunately, in 2020, many of our corporate overlords expect us to stay in touch when we are in the air during normal business hours. And frankly, I've worked on planes since the 90s. I just didn't work online. We had laptops, with batteries no less, back then too.
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Cheap AA needs to put those dark dinosaurs in the desert.
If only AA would order new planes...........Oh, wait, they did, a bunch of NOT CHEAP 737-MAXen

Originally Posted by traveler202 View Post
On DCA-PHX and they just announced no WiFi or outlets on the LUS plane. Several people who didn’t know this ahead of time went crazy saying they have no movies or music or enough battery and the flight attendant was left saying “sorry, these old planes.”

Part of me thinks they should have prepared better but it is crazy how old this jet is.

the fact that there’s no empty seats makes clear why they haven’t spent the money - there’s no other option on this route
They have spent the money, on new 737's. The problem is those planes have been grounded

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 4, 20 at 10:49 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
More that 5 years post-merger and now in 2020 and AA can't figure out how to upgrade their mainline birds to ensure they all have power ports and wi-fi. Running a transcon flight without power for laptops is just ridiculous. Many of us are not watching movies, but just trying to get work done. If I'm doing a lot of processing or video editing my battery (on a MacBook Pro) will not make it on a flight more than three or four hours.

AA's failure to install basic consumer amenities is just a disgrace and reflective of their tone-deafness around what the consumer expects out of air travel. DL and UA figured this out long ago. AA needs to stop using the MAX situation and the fleet modernization as excuses for their failures.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: