Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unhappy customers over no inflight power or WiFi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unhappy customers over no inflight power or WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by traveler202
On DCA-PHX and they just announced no WiFi or outlets on the LUS plane. Several people who didn’t know this ahead of time went crazy saying they have no movies or music or enough battery and the flight attendant was left saying “sorry, these old planes.”

Part of me thinks they should have prepared better but it is crazy how old this jet is.

the fact that there’s no empty seats makes clear why they haven’t spent the money - there’s no other option on this route
I think it is crazy that device manufacturers have not made batteries that would last on that flight - must be what? 3 hours, 4? Ditto tablets, I am waiting for the day they break that I guess, impenetrable, tech barrier so they work for 3 or 4 hours. Then I will be prepared. We can all be, yay!

And I think there is a niche available to exploit for portable batteries, maybe with USB jacks to do the ol' charge it yourself routine. Kaching, I can see money in the bank for whoever comes up with one of those.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I think it is crazy that device manufacturers have not made batteries that would last on that flight - must be what? 3 hours, 4? Ditto tablets, I am waiting for the day they break that I guess, impenetrable, tech barrier so they work for 3 or 4 hours. Then I will be prepared. We can all be, yay!
They have. I routinely take 4+ hour flights and don't even use the outlets for my laptop when they exist, as all the cables just create unnecessary clutter.
jcf27 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
They have. I routinely take 4+ hour flights and don't even use the outlets for my laptop when they exist, as all the cables just create unnecessary clutter.
Really they have?!?!?! Wow, who knew? You're making that up, trying to pull the old leg. Cannot be possible. Literally HOURS on one battery? Like the size of a car battery?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyalways
In contrast I was pleasantly surprised with a wide-body 767 and lie flat seats in First for
my PHL-SFO flight this AM ! I was dreading a no outlet / no wifi equipment but it was a pleasant
surprise with very good FA service too :-)
You'd be even more surprised with a narrow-body 767.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
God forbid we should be without wifi for a couple of hours. How about always traveling with a good book?
This.
Try Nelson DeMille and even better Philip Kerr. You'll forget about wifi and the trip will seem very short.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Cheap AA needs to put those dark dinosaurs in the desert.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
It all comes down to the airline and how much money they want to pump into them. Delta for example has PTV's, power, and WIFI on much older 757/767/A320's. AA decided to go a different route and has decided not to outfit most of their narrowbody fleet with PTV's (soon to be completely PTV less I'm assuming with all the 738's and A321's WITH PTV's going in and getting OASIS).

Last edited by FlyDeltaConnection; Jan 20, 2020 at 9:12 pm
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:10 pm

God forbid we should be without wifi for a couple of hours. How about always traveling with a good book?
must be nice having zero work to do!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; Delta Skymiles; United MileagePlus; Air Canada Aeroplan; Air France FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by mctaste
must be nice having zero work to do!
I can’t imagine working on a plane. Particularly in Y. It’s just not possible.

There’s also the fact that confidential info would be visible to anyone who looks.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by enviroian
Cheap AA needs to put those dark dinosaurs in the desert.
Every landing in PHX and LAS.

These old beaters are Doggies favorite planes that he took with him from HP.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Once on the plane
phone is off
once landed phone is on
I am not that important in this world to be checking my emails etc to make sure I need to fix it while flying
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
It’s a different world these days.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Amen. Seems like much ado about nothing.
Originally Posted by catcher1
This.
Try Nelson DeMille and even better Philip Kerr. You'll forget about wifi and the trip will seem very short.
The horror, the agony, the human tragedy, the incomprehensible human suffering of biblical proportions of no WiFi, the historical significance of no power, no technology for a couple of hours!

Around the world , there are children (and adults) who also have no Wifi, no internet, no technology. At the same time, they also have NO FOOD, NO CLEAN WATER, NO SHELTER, AND NO HOME. Yet you have no wifi.

Welcome to what was the ‘90s, 80’s, etc.. Choose your century. Get your face out of Face book, and get it into a book. If you cant, you need a 12 step program.

YMMV

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jan 21, 2020 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
Doesn't lack of Wi-fi mean lack of streaming IFE? It does on Southwest.
IFE streams from inside the plane. So, it seems the plane had WIFI to connect to the onboard IFW device but did not have a connection to the Internet.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I always carry a book. I've had bad power outlets on a/c. You can't count on outlets, wifi or even the IFE system to be working properly.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I always carry a book. I've had bad power outlets on a/c. You can't count on outlets, wifi or even the IFE system to be working properly.

Same. A book AND a brick. The new Anker mini lineup is cheap and will take an iPad to full charge + an iPhone 2x
GrumpyYoungMan and James91 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.