Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Adds Supply & Demand SJC, SFO, MKC-MIA Flights for Super Bowl 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines is adding special flights out of San Francisco and San Jose to Miami for 49ers fans planning on going to the Super Bowl.

On Jan. 31, the airline has added two flights out of Mineta San Jose International Airport, departing at 8:10 a.m. and 10:10 p.m., and one flight out of San Francisco International Airport departing at 11 a.m.

On Feb. 1, American has added two flights out of SFO, one departing at 1:30 a.m. and the other at 9:45 a.m., the airline said.

The airline also added flights out of Kansas City for Chiefs fans. — NBC News
Print Wikipost

AA Adds Supply & Demand SJC, SFO, MKC-MIA Flights for Super Bowl 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Red face AA Adds Supply & Demand SJC, SFO, MKC-MIA Flights for Super Bowl 2020

AA has taken supply and demand as well as dynamic award pricing to a whole new level for Super Bowl weekend. 150,000 miles for a coach seat MCI-MIA round trip. Cash prices start at $865. And they added a bunch of flights, too. The early morning is the only regularly scheduled flight IIRC.

Similar situation from west coast, but some quirky results with first being much cheaper than coach.

Edit: Here’s AA’s press release on the extra flights: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...-Game-NET-OTH/

Last edited by HofstraJet; Jan 20, 2020 at 4:23 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Give it 4 days...see if the dynamic pricing adjusts to the market. They’ll sell a few to those who have unlimited resources, or those who simply can’t wait a few days for things to even out. Revenue management dictates you never sell a seat for $600 to someone who was willing to pay $900. Get them off the table first. For everyone else, there’s multiple ways to getting to south Florida without using these flights.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I am not that impressed. I can't fly out of SWO round trip on spring break without it costing at least $800 (we are talking domestic flights i.e. SWO-MIA, SWO-LGA, SWO-SFO). Even with the key high demand planes half full and less than two months from spring break, SWO-LGA is $1200 for example. Even the day flights became available 9 months ago it was $800 to go anywhere for spring break.

And that is just because it is spring break in a small college town and the demand is only on one side of the route. You sir/maam, are talking about going to the super bowl from a city with a team going to the super bowl.

So, truthfully, I'd be thankful if I was trying to go MCI-MIA for just $865 -and- be given additional flight options. The point options of course are stupidly crazy, but not much more so than I usually encounter for trying to get domestic flights.

AA will fill those planes, they may not know customer service, but they know how to price tickets they know will sell.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Doesn't seem that crazy given that it's under 2 weeks and has high demand. Moreover, flights on United and Delta are more expensive:

MCI-MIA

SFO-MIA
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
Fly to Orlando or Tampa and drive. That's what I did the last time I went to a super bowl in MIA. It's 3 hours, but if your saving $1k, it's worth it.
mkt likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:05 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Any SMART 49ers/Chiefs FLYERTALKER with upper-tier status would have used miles to book their flights BEFORE the teams were decided with AA's no-risk cancellation policy.

If your team lost and wasn't going to Miami....then cancel and get your miles refunded!
mctaste, will2288, cesco.g and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Or PBI or FLL.
mkt likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jdanton
Fly to Orlando or Tampa and drive. That's what I did the last time I went to a super bowl in MIA. It's 3 hours, but if your saving $1k, it's worth it.
If they have money for Super Bowl tickets and hotels, they have money for plane tickets
AA100k, Often1, mctaste and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I am not that impressed. I can't fly out of SWO round trip on spring break without it costing at least $800 (we are talking domestic flights i.e. SWO-MIA, SWO-LGA, SWO-SFO). Even with the key high demand planes half full and less than two months from spring break, SWO-LGA is $1200 for example. Even the day flights became available 9 months ago it was $800 to go anywhere for spring break.

And that is just because it is spring break in a small college town and the demand is only on one side of the route. You sir/maam, are talking about going to the super bowl from a city with a team going to the super bowl.

So, truthfully, I'd be thankful if I was trying to go MCI-MIA for just $865 -and- be given additional flight options. The point options of course are stupidly crazy, but not much more so than I usually encounter for trying to get domestic flights.

AA will fill those planes, they may not know customer service, but they know how to price tickets they know will sell.
If AA wasn't selling tickets at those prices for SWO, it would lower the price. SWO is only a 1 hr drive from DFW.....so, there are alternatives.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
If they have money for Super Bowl tickets and hotels, they have money for plane tickets
The airfare is the least of the expense even at inflated prices.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA has priced lower than UA & DL, so it's a little odd to focus on AA.

It's a luxury item, so ordinary pricing mentality goes out the window for most consumers. E.g., "we'll just go somewhere else the next weekend" isn't really an option.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:34 am

If AA wasn't selling tickets at those prices for SWO, it would lower the price. SWO is only a 1 hr drive from DFW.....so, there are alternatives.
Either you meant OKC or I don't want to be on the road when you're driving!
BOSishome likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:46 am

Big time agree on this one. Trying to save a couple hundred bucks when you have already bought super bowl tix, and are likely going to pay out the nose for hotel too, seems kinda strange.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Yes, they will sell those seats, the last few sell a few days in advance -- like I said AA knows what they are doing. And, DFW is a 4 hour drive, and a couple of years ago I drove the family to DFW to fly and even after parking costs we saved about $2,000 shaving off SWO-DFW legs.

Driving is painful, but that is why the premium for these sort of things happen.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I read an article this morning that tickets to the game are selling at highest amount ever with the lowest ticket to the game being $5000 +. Kansas City hasn't been in the Super Bowl in 50 years so it's not shocking that the fan base would want to attend or even just be in Miami for the occasion. The article also said that Kansas City generated the highest percentage of geographical ticket ordering at 12.3% - higher than both New York and Chicago which were second. To be honest, a cash price of $865 seems more than reasonable flying into Miami.

As others have stated, if you can book with miles ahead of time and cancel if they don't make the game that is the way to go. I also know of a friend who's team had a chance a few years back and he booked a ticket Saturday night (before the conference games) and then was prepared to cancel within 24 hours if his team was not paying. It worked out because his team lost so he just cancelled the ticket.

When the Superbowl was in PHX a few years back I remember reading people were flying in/out of Las Vegas and just making the drive. As others have stated, there are multiple ways to get to the game if you want to go without flying into Miami and I suspect those that are only going to fly into Miami are fine with paying the extra charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.