Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business class upgrade, but all planes on itinerary have only 1st and Main Cabin?

Business class upgrade, but all planes on itinerary have only 1st and Main Cabin?

Old Jan 18, 20, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

Received offer on AA app to bump up my MCE seats to business.

Does "business" imply "first class" in this case?

Planes are CRJ and 737-800.
Old Jan 18, 20, 4:06 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by ibs_traveller View Post

Correct! The only instances when there is a true "first" cabin on American would be found on Boeing 77W (300) or Airbus 321T trans-cons.
Old Jan 18, 20, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver

Yes. They still call the front cabin "First" but they have been marketing it as business for some time now.
ibs_traveller likes this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold

What market? Domestic or international?
Old Jan 18, 20, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
What market? Domestic or international?
The two domestic 100hr complimentary upgrades that came through for me today describe it "Business".
Old Jan 18, 20, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by deeruck View Post
The two domestic 100hr complimentary upgrades that came through for me today describe it "Business".
I thought AA fixed that. That was happening to me a few months ago, but two upgrades I got for flights this Monday and Tuesday are showing as "First" (one on a CR7, one on a CR9).
Old Jan 18, 20, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ONLY time there is a difference between first and business when flying AA is if you’re on the 777-300ER. Otherwise, for all intents and purposes, they’re interchangeable.
Old Jan 18, 20, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
The ONLY time there is a difference between first and business when flying AA is if you’re on the 777-300ER. Otherwise, for all intents and purposes, they’re interchangeable.
And A321T.
Old Jan 18, 20, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
And A321T.
D’oh! Of course.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by deeruck View Post

100 hr complimentary upgrades???? Seriously? Well, this helps me understand why it's becoming very challenging to purchase a last minute (or even 2 days before) Business/First seat.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:27 am

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
100 hr complimentary upgrades???? Seriously? Well, this helps me understand why it's becoming very challenging to purchase a last minute (or even 2 days before) Business/First seat.
??? The 100/72/48/24 hr upgrades are one of the most common things discussed on the forum plus prominently advertised by AA. They only clear within those times when certain opaque criteria are met (I.e, an empty seat doesn't necessarily go to an upgrade at the beginning of those windows, etc.). You probably aren't able to purchase a last minute seat because others have done so before you as much as because of an upgrade.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
??? The 100/72/48/24 hr upgrades are one of the most common things discussed on the forum plus prominently advertised by AA. They only clear within those times when certain opaque criteria are met (I.e, an empty seat doesn't necessarily go to an upgrade at the beginning of those windows, etc.). You probably aren't able to purchase a last minute seat because others have done so before you as much as because of an upgrade.
I was familiar with the increased opportunities being offered to "buy-up" an upgrade --- but somehow missed that "complimentary" upgrades were being given out, like free candy! and potentially four days before. Only buy front cabin tickets domestically, it is too hard for me to fly these days otherwise, so probably overlooked any related advertisements. Good to know in any case.

Do think it plays into the increasing challenge I've experienced with tickets 1-3 days out though. It's been a noticeable difference to me since last summer.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
Do think it plays into the increasing challenge I've experienced with tickets 1-3 days out though. It's been a noticeable difference to me since last summer.
??

AA has cleared 100-hour upgrades for EXPs for literally decades. Nothing new here.
Old Jan 20, 20, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Presidents Club
Its not given out like free candy. Its only given for flights that have high unsold inventory in the first class and given to those folks who have been extremely loyal to AA by flying 100K EQMs / 100 Segments with a $15K spend the previous year.
Old Jan 20, 20, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
??

AA has cleared 100-hour upgrades for EXPs for literally decades. Nothing new here.
And I believe CKs get a 120 hour window since they became an official elite level - even if invite only.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: