Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred connection? LHR vs PHL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Preferred connection? LHR vs PHL

Flying PE AMS-ORD. I could do AMS-LHR-ORD on BA, or AMS-PHL-ORD. I’m not too concerned about upgrades.

my thoughts... the latter option provides more time in the more comfortable seat, but the first option means going through customs at home. (Get through the line and head to the car!)
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Flying PE AMS-ORD. I could do AMS-LHR-ORD on BA, or AMS-PHL-ORD. I’m not too concerned about upgrades.

my thoughts... the latter option provides more time in the more comfortable seat, but the first option means going through customs at home. (Get through the line and head to the car!)
Honestly that is a toss up. I too like coming off a long haul and being "done", so I would probably go with AMS-LHR-ORD, all else being equal.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I live in PHL but have done AMS-LHR-PHL at times when the non-stop wasn’t running in winter in past years. All but one time, the BA flight arrived at T5, and AA goers out of T3, which does make for a slower and more hassled connection, though of course you can also fly BA metal LHR-PHL which does normally use T5. Personally, I try to avoid LHR for connections when possible - they just tend to take a while even with fast track lines. All of LHR, ORD and PHL struggle in bad weather, but LHR tends to be the most sensitive to disruption from frozen precipitation.

Ironically I have connected international to domestic in PHL numerous times even though I live here - usually I was coming back to the US midweek and still had to visit another customer site. It’s not bad, and I’ve never had delays at immigration and customs with Global Entry. Should the line at A-East be too long, you can always walk over to use security at Terminals A-West, B, or C (C is PreCheck only).

I’d say go with whichever gets you the most comfortable seat across the pond.
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Go via LHR. Words cannot describe the complete and total disaster that is PHL.

You'll have access to the CX lounge in LHR as an added bonus.
roberto99, cmd320 and E55 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:55 am

I prefer an “arrivals lounge” type routing to take long haul first, then a shower followed by a short haul flight. Therefore I avoid PHL which has no showers. If via LHR, I prefer BA “all the way” to prevent t3-t5 transfer issues.

Anyone else?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
I prefer an “arrivals lounge” type routing to take long haul first, then a shower followed by a short haul flight. Therefore I avoid PHL which has no showers.
Simplified it for you.

But seriously, I do like showers after the longhaul. However, since the OP is terminating at ORD and going home, they wouldn't have access to the ORD FL and also likely would just shower at home.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by Antarius
Simplified it for you.

But seriously, I do like showers after the longhaul. However, since the OP is terminating at ORD and going home, they wouldn't have access to the ORD FL and also likely would just shower at home.
I am happy to shower at home!
Antarius and E55 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Go through PHL. I do it all the time going and coming from the EU and never experience any of the horror stories that appear here on FT.
SK, lowfareair, apeortdz and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Going via PHL gets the pain of immigration and security out of the way in one step on the connection instead of doing security (and an obnoxious terminal transfer if your LHR-ORD is AA operated) on the connection and still having to slog through immigration at the end of the trip.
SK and lowfareair like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Flying PE AMS-ORD. I could do AMS-LHR-ORD on BA"

(bolding mine)

AMS-LHR-ORD on BA will be a T5/T5 connection - the Cathay lounge is in LHR T3, so access is not practicable on this routing.

PHL is perfectly fine for connections (except for the subpar lounges) and is a much better CBP facility than ORD T5. I truly do not understand the irrational rants about PHL on this forum. But in this case since ORD is the final destination, I'd take the LHR routing.
SK, lowfareair, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
I could do AMS-LHR-ORD on BA, or AMS-PHL-ORD.
... the latter option provides more time in the more comfortable seat, but
Actually the former option gives more time in the comfortable seat, disregarding the possibility of upgrade PHL/ORD. (AMS/LHR is a lot shorter than PHL/ORD)

Also the former option allows you to do the sensible thing and buy the ticket on BA flight numbers for much better EQD.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Just a side note I was in that CX lounge ( F side) and was really disappointed. No hot food and was really not better than any domestic AC. The qantas and AA lounges at T3 blow away the CX lounge.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
(bolding mine)
AMS-LHR-ORD on BA will be a T5/T5 connection - the Cathay lounge is in LHR T3, so access is not practicable on this routing.
True. Misread it. OP will have access to the BA Galleries lounge, which is still vastly superior to anything at PHL.

Originally Posted by bse118
I truly do not understand the irrational rants about PHL on this forum.
There's enough people saying the same thing to lend credence to there being a problem. I rarely get to the point that I want to cross the desk and throttle someone, but it seems to happen repeatedly at that airport. Agents just do whatever they want with whatever rule they choose to make up that day and there is no management or oversight to stop it.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'd probably pick the LHR connection. A more interesting place to connect IMO, and I would expect LHR-ORD to be less prone to delay than PHL-ORD. Also, do these all have AA flight numbers? If the LHR option has BA numbers check the EQD earnings carefully, if you're trying to maximize credit. EQM earnings will be very similar.

Note that both flights via LHR will be in/out of T5, so no worries about the T5-T3 bus. But it also means you will not have access to the CX lounge. Your PPro status will get you access to the BA Club lounges, which can be quite crowded.

What kind of plane is LHR-ORD? If a 747, the PE section is positioned so you would be one of the first off.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Just a side note I was in that CX lounge ( F side) and was really disappointed. No hot food and was really not better than any domestic AC. The qantas and AA lounges at T3 blow away the CX lounge.
When were you there?

You manage to have the diametric opposite experience as everyone else here always
seawolf and bse118 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.