Preferred connection? LHR vs PHL

Old Jan 19, 20, 2:48 am

OP, you have to understand that it is typically the same posters who trash PHL everytime they see a thread titled "PHL". Responses like, "Words cannot describe the complete and total disaster that is PHL" are RANTS that have little or nothing to do with addressing the Thread's principal ? or intent. Further, it is virtually impossible to assess the credibility of even a sophisticated critical airport assessment, without a knowledge of the poster's overall frequency and scope (e.g. number of facilities/terminals, etc.) of visits to the facility. End of Rant.
aztimm, CMTinPHL and Beachfun71 like this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 3:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would certainly connect via LHR. Have to say the only dreadful experience I had on 10 round trip Trans-Atlantic flights in 2019 was due to PHL. I had a 1 hour 45 min connection from EDI-MIA in PHL, used the regular passport line as I was traveling with my girlfriend cleared that in 5 min and waited an hour for my bags. The only way I made the flight was taking off in a dead sprint and cathing them as they were closing the doors to our flight.
Old Jan 19, 20, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
Just curious, as you have not yet booked your tickets (since you are asking about your options) how come you only have an option for a 1 hour connection at LHR? There are other alternatives with longer connection times at LHR from AMS to ORD which would make the connection time much less stressful.

I'm in the camp of AMS-LHR-ORD, but with a longer connection.
Well, I have purchased now, but the connection issue is this... I want to leave after 12n and still be home the same day. That leaves me with two options for leaving AMS: 1:05 PM on AA via PHL or 2:15 PM on BA via LHR. I took the LHR option.

Then... once in LHR, the last BA direct flight to ORD is at 3:35 PM, thus the 1 hr connect. Instead I can, and plan to, continue on the 5:35 PM AA flight, arriving at ORD at 8:10 PM, arriving at my house by 9:30 PM. 😊
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by perseus11 View Post
OP, you have to understand that it is typically the same posters who trash PHL everytime they see a thread titled "PHL". Responses like, "Words cannot describe the complete and total disaster that is PHL" are RANTS that have little or nothing to do with addressing the Thread's principal ? or intent. Further, it is virtually impossible to assess the credibility of even a sophisticated critical airport assessment, without a knowledge of the poster's overall frequency and scope (e.g. number of facilities/terminals, etc.) of visits to the facility. End of Rant.
Disagree. It would be a rant if the thread was about connecting in DFW or ORD, but given PHL is part of the subject a rant it is not. The thread was about whether the poster should fly through PHL and I responded directly to the intent of the question by saying no.

But, to qualify your question - in 2019 I was in 51 different airports across 11 countries and flew 160 total flights. Went through PHL about 8 times. Save for the airport in KTM, I'd chalk PHL up right at the bottom.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Beachfun71 View Post
Well, I have purchased now, but the connection issue is this... I want to leave after 12n and still be home the same day. That leaves me with two options for leaving AMS: 1:05 PM on AA via PHL or 2:15 PM on BA via LHR. I took the LHR option.

Then... once in LHR, the last BA direct flight to ORD is at 3:35 PM, thus the 1 hr connect. Instead I can, and plan to, continue on the 5:35 PM AA flight, arriving at ORD at 8:10 PM, arriving at my house by 9:30 PM. 😊
Ah. The post noon limit leaving AMS. Personally I would never construct an itinerary with such a close connection, especially with limited Int'l long haul options in case something went sideways. In my mind lounges exist for longer layovers after all. But I'm sure you have good reasons, so best of luck and welcome back home in due time!
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:49 am

Lounges are better at LHR than AMS.

Customs at PHL is dreadful. The worst experience clearing customs is always at PHL for me. Even worse than landing at remote stands at LAX.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 11:48 am

Programs: 120% Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Just a side note I was in that CX lounge ( F side) and was really disappointed. No hot food and was really not better than any domestic AC. The qantas and AA lounges at T3 blow away the CX lounge.
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
When were you there?

You manage to have the diametric opposite experience as everyone else here always
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
Huh?

There is a full sit down restaurant with an ŗ la carte menu and wait service in the CX F lounge at LHR.

And if you're in a hurry - nothing's stopping you from walking down the hall to the J part of the lounge and going to the counter service Noodle Bar.
Originally Posted by tfizzle View Post
Dang Dang noodles are the best.
I made a F lounge tour December 1,2019,

BA F-Best wine selection, food OK

QA F (actually a J lounge)-Great GIN bar (15 varieties). Food typical J lounge.

CX F Wine selection a bit weak. Food had hot selections, and had 2 servings of noodles! Yum!

AA F Wine selection weak. (It kills me to say) food was the best of the 4.

As far as LHR vs PHL-
1. My experience with PHL is good, great, and short (GE) UNTIL I clear customs, then when released into the general population, the place becomes a cesspool.
2. My experience with LHR is problematic. Changing to Terminal 3 from any of the others can be stressful, especially with a tight connection, but you are rewarded at the end with 4 lounges to choose from, assuming you have time.. , but if you are coming into 5, no fuss, no mess, no bother.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jan 19, 20 at 3:50 pm
Old Jan 19, 20, 1:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by perseus11 View Post
Totally agree. I've gone through PHL and LHR many times, and given the choice I'd go with PHL any day. Was at LHR one December day a few years ago when they had weather (some light snow), and it was total chaos. They were canceling tons of flights (mostly to elsewhere in Europe), the F lounge was packed to the gills, food was mediocre, and I was just happy to get on my LHR-AUS flight (I won't even get into security and terminal transfers).
I've been to PHL during weather, and while it isn't without issues, it can handle things far better than LHR. As someone who came from the US Airways side, I've transferred at PHL countless times, often getting from aircraft through US customs/immigration, re-clearing security, and in lounge within 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by Beachfun71 View Post
Glad that you selected an option that works for you. Hope things go smoothly for your travel!
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EP
I agree T3 at LHR does have some great lounge options and the QA gin bar is really excellent and the bartenders great. but unless you have 4 hour layover, changing terminals and getting back again is a real pain in the butt.
Old Jan 19, 20, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Yes. Itís only when arriving from a domestic in the UK that you donít need to.
Hmm, maybe Iím thinking of another airport that doesnít re-screen connections from a limited set of countries. CDG?
Old Jan 19, 20, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Hmm, maybe Iím thinking of another airport that doesnít re-screen connections from a limited set of countries. CDG?
I don't think FRA does, although it has been a while, so could be mistaken. Also did an I-I connection in BRU (back when 9W had a scissor hub there) and did not need to go through security.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: