Preferred connection? LHR vs PHL

Old Jan 18, 20, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Just a side note I was in that CX lounge ( F side) and was really disappointed. No hot food and was really not better than any domestic AC. The qantas and AA lounges at T3 blow away the CX lounge.
Huh?

There is a full sit down restaurant with an ŗ la carte menu and wait service in the CX F lounge at LHR.

And if you're in a hurry - nothing's stopping you from walking down the hall to the J part of the lounge and going to the counter service Noodle Bar.
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I vote through LHR, especially if it doesn't require a terminal change. Why do a multiple hour domestic connection in coach instead of the much quicker AMS-LHR? I also like what you said about doing customs in your home city, no worry about lines or delays. Finally it makes it easier to do some airport duty free shopping w/o TSA forcing you to check liquor (they don't recognize security bags)
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Lots of good feedback here!

So I think Iíll take the LHR route - flight is early Feb, and with all the winter storms rolling through right now...

One more choice to make though:
  • Stay on BA, no terminal change, with only a 1 hour connection, or
  • Change terminals to AA with 2.5 hours?

Iíve flown this route several times, so I know the hassle of taking the bus, but I am just curious what others would choose.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Beachfun71 View Post

So I think I’ll take the LHR route - flight is early Feb, and with all the winter storms rolling through right now...

I’ve flown this route several times, so I know the hassle of taking the bus, but I am just curious what others would choose.
I'd take the BA no terminal change - gets home faster. No reason to spend extra time in the airport if you don't have to.

The AA PE hard product is slightly nicer than BA's in my opinion - but it's not a huge difference - and wouldn't be enough to make me add time sitting in an airport (even if I'm sitting in a nice lounge)
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:31 pm

So I think Iíll take the LHR route - flight is early Feb, and with all the winter storms rolling through right now...

Iíve flown this route several times, so I know the hassle of taking the bus, but I am just curious what others would choose.
I would much rather take AA flight over water - PE cabin is smaller and newer. AA is flying Dreamliners vs BA old 747/777. Also I think food in AA PE is better than BA
phlwookie likes this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I'd probably pick the LHR connection. A more interesting place to connect IMO, and I would expect LHR-ORD to be less prone to delay than PHL-ORD. Also, do these all have AA flight numbers? If the LHR option has BA numbers check the EQD earnings carefully, if you're trying to maximize credit. EQM earnings will be very similar.

Note that both flights via LHR will be in/out of T5, so no worries about the T5-T3 bus. But it also means you will not have access to the CX lounge. Your PPro status will get you access to the BA Club lounges, which can be quite crowded.

What kind of plane is LHR-ORD? If a 747, the PE section is positioned so you would be one of the first off.
Oops... I updated my profile to EXP.

And the LHR-ORD AA plane is a 787-9. Im currently in 9D.
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
That 1 hour connection is very tight, I think it is right at the minimum connecting time for a T5-T5 connection. At the end of the day, I guess it depends on your risk tolerance.
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EP
Dang Dang noodles are the best.
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by hrnt View Post
That 1 hour connection is very tight, I think it is right at the minimum connecting time for a T5-T5 connection. At the end of the day, I guess it depends on your risk tolerance.
It's not very tight at all. Thousands of people do T5-T5 connections every day of the year and complete the process well within that time and even have time to pop into the lounge or do some duty free shopping.

Same with the 90 mins T5-T3.

Personally I'd take the AA flight over the BA one. I prefer the AA seat and direct aisle access. That migt change once the new club seat is rolled out to more routes though.
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
It's not very tight at all. Thousands of people do T5-T5 connections every day of the year and complete the process well within that time and even have time to pop into the lounge or do some duty free shopping.

^

Personally I'd take the AA flight over the BA one. I prefer the AA seat and direct aisle access. That migt change once the new club seat is rolled out to more routes though.
OP is travelling in Premium Economy...not Business/Club
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Discoverist

Same with the 90 mins T5-T3.
Don't get me wrong, it is definitely doable and not even that bad if nothing is delayed and the security is not unusually busy... and having fast track access at FCC definitely helps. However, if something does go wrong, there is not that much margin for error. Like I said, depends on your risk tolerance.
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Iíll echo what others have said, Iíd take LHR. Better equipment, better lounges, no PHL = far better trip overall.
Antarius and enpremiere like this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you even need to re-clear security doing T5-T5 when arriving from AMS?
Old Jan 18, 20, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Would you even need to re-clear security doing T5-T5 when arriving from AMS?
Yes. Itís only when arriving from a domestic in the UK that you donít need to.
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:03 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

So I think I’ll take the LHR route - flight is early Feb, and with all the winter storms rolling through right now...

I’ve flown this route several times, so I know the hassle of taking the bus, but I am just curious what others would choose.
Just curious, as you have not yet booked your tickets (since you are asking about your options) how come you only have an option for a 1 hour connection at LHR? There are other alternatives with longer connection times at LHR from AMS to ORD which would make the connection time much less stressful.

I'm in the camp of AMS-LHR-ORD, but with a longer connection.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: