FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Does EXP experience get worse after successfully completing trial? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2004471-does-exp-experience-get-worse-after-successfully-completing-trial.html)

ZBigFam Jan 15, 20 8:07 am

Does EXP experience get worse after successfully completing trial?
 
United 1k refugee here and am currently on an EXP trial. I expect to complete the trial (meaning achieve EXP) in the next couple of weeks.

I have to say my upgrade rate on AA is far and away better than on United as a 1k. My travel I have been upgraded to business/first about 90% (UA at best was maybe 30-40%) of the time which is amazing to me.

Will this percentage drop after I complete my trial? Is there some kind of algorithm in place that tells AA to put me higher in the upgrade list since I'm on a trial to entice me to switch?

I am just shocked at how AA has performed vs UA and I want to temper expectations appropriately.

donotblink Jan 15, 20 8:31 am


Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31953287)
Will this percentage drop after I complete my trial? Is there some kind of algorithm in place that tells AA to put me higher in the upgrade list since I'm on a trial to entice me to switch?

It should increase after your trial as you'll have done more EQDs over the last 12 month period. The effects you're experiencing is because AA isn't as aggressive at monetizing the first class cabin as United is. I'm currently 6 upgrades/6 flights 100% upgrades this year with ~$18,000 of spend.

Finsup72 Jan 15, 20 8:32 am

There's no special algorithm in place for trial elites to be higher on the upgrade list. It seems to be commonly discussed on FT that AA EXPs are upgraded more often than UA 1Ks.

ZBigFam Jan 15, 20 8:44 am


Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 31953385)
It should increase after your trial as you'll have done more EQDs over the last 12 month period. The effects you're experiencing is because AA isn't as aggressive at monetizing the first class cabin as United is. I'm currently 6 upgrades/6 flights 100% upgrades this year with ~$18,000 of spend.

Thanks so upgrade priority is based on Eqd (within the tier)? Good to know. Perhaps I am getting good experiences because it's very early in the year.

ZBigFam Jan 15, 20 8:44 am


Originally Posted by Finsup72 (Post 31953388)
There's no special algorithm in place for trial elites to be higher on the upgrade list. It seems to be commonly discussed on FT that AA EXPs are upgraded more often than UA 1Ks.

SMH..wish I had known earlier and I would have switched earlier....thanks

LondonElite Jan 15, 20 8:47 am

Glad to hear that UA is actually selling F tickets rather than upgrading everyone. Good news!

adunker Jan 15, 20 8:50 am


Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31953445)
Thanks so upgrade priority is based on Eqd (within the tier)? Good to know. Perhaps I am getting good experiences because it's very early in the year.

It's actually a rolling 1-year EQD. So right now you're on the bottom of the food chain for EXP's. As you spend more and fly longer it'll only get better.

xliioper Jan 15, 20 8:50 am

The routes you are flying are likely going to be a big factor. If you have been flying routes that were UA Elite heavy, but not on AA, naturally your upgrade rate is going to be higher on AA. There are almost certainly routes where you will do better on UA than AA (for example, routes out AA hostage hub DFW). You will see the same thing on DL with hostage hubs like ATL,DTW, MSP having lower upgrade rates for DL Medallions than for those who fly on other alliances out of those hubs.

donotblink Jan 15, 20 8:51 am


Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31953445)
Thanks so upgrade priority is based on Eqd (within the tier)? Good to know. Perhaps I am getting good experiences because it's very early in the year.

Yeah--over a rolling twelve month period. See this thread for more info: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...thread-19.html

enviroian Jan 15, 20 9:11 am

OP where are you based?

ZBigFam Jan 15, 20 9:23 am


Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31953572)
OP where are you based?

Am based in DSM and travel monthly to SFO

jordyn Jan 15, 20 9:43 am


Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31953487)
The routes you are flying are likely going to be a big factor. If you have been flying routes that were UA Elite heavy, but not on AA, naturally your upgrade rate is going to be higher on AA. There are almost certainly routes where you will do better on UA than AA (for example, routes out AA hostage hub DFW). You will see the same thing on DL with hostage hubs like ATL,DTW, MSP having lower upgrade rates for DL Medallions than for those who fly on other alliances out of those hubs.

While it's a factor, due to FCM UA 1K seems to be about as good as AA PLT in terms of upgrade success on average (i.e., expect to mostly not be upgraded). Whereas as an EXP on AA I often get upgraded even on in-demand routes like JFK<->SFO, my friends who are 1K rarely get upgraded even on secondary routes. OP's experience of 30-40% upgrades is actually a lot better than any of the 1Ks I know.

ZBigFam Jan 15, 20 9:47 am


Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 31953707)
While it's a factor, due to FCM UA 1K seems to be about as good as AA PLT in terms of upgrade success on average (i.e., expect to mostly not be upgraded). Whereas as an EXP on AA I often get upgraded even on in-demand routes like JFK<->SFO, my friends who are 1K rarely get upgraded even on secondary routes. OP's experience of 30-40% upgrades is actually a lot better than any of the 1Ks I know.

Last year I had to fly to ewr every month(changed jobs), I would get upgrade from dsm>iah or dsm>den but would almost NEVER get upgraded from there onto EWR. So I was upgraded on the 1-2 hour flights never the longer ones.

With AA I have been upgraded into SFO and SAN my two flights on this trial so far (through DFW). Am very happy about this trend.

Beltway2A Jan 15, 20 10:19 am


Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31953629)
Am based in DSM and travel monthly to SFO

Bolding mine. Flying any non-UA airline to/from SFO means competing with significantly fewer elites, including especially those at the GS/CK/360 level, per flight.

enviroian Jan 15, 20 10:20 am


Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31953629)
Am based in DSM and travel monthly to SFO

Got it. That explains your upgrade percentage. I'm at 18% upgrade rate being DFW based.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:54 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.