Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does EXP experience get worse after successfully completing trial?

Does EXP experience get worse after successfully completing trial?

Old Jan 26, 20, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
That's the point though and the reason I started the thread because if I am upgraded 90%+ of the time and there is no algorithm in place then I will be overjoyed at AA vs United.

Help me understand the drop off then? What makes things so much worse for EXPs that fly AA regularly once off trial? I genuinely want to know.
The problem is not so much with the frequent flier program (which is definitely better for domestic upgrades than UA), so much as the overall operation of the airline. AA is consistently the worst airline in the US in objective operational metrics. Also, the employees are disempowered and not very customer-centric. Having said all of that, UA is not much better in operational metrics and it's not clear the employees are any better, so it's not hard to see the switch from UA to AA being a net positive.
Antarius and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
Well have done my first batch of travel for business and I was upgraded 100% of the time, dsm>DFW, DFW>dsm, dsm>CLT, CLT>JFK all upgraded. In one month I've been upgraded more times than I ever have as a United 1k. I know people complain about AA but if this keeps up I will be a loyal customer.
​​​​
​​​​
I had about a 60% upgrade percentage in 2018 as a UA Gold before switching back to AA because of a change in travel patterns. As others have said, itís all about the routes and times. (Iím at 75% as a relatively new ExPlat.)

As Kacee mentioned, one has to call in more with AA. Maybe Iíve just had bad luck, but Iíve found AAís phone agents to be less friendly, less knowledgeable, and less flexible than UAís. Just this week, two agents on the ExPlat line wanted to charge me over $600 for a same-day change that was free. AA is also far less generous with lounge access.

Last edited by joe_miami; Jan 26, 20 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 26, 20, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
AA is also far less generous with lounge access.
I think that's a YMMV situation, depending on travel patterns.

As someone who frequently transits HKG, and does quite a few premium t-cons every year, I find the AA/OW rules considerably more favorable for my travel. CX F lounges, plus FLs at JFK/LAX on premium t-cons, are a huge improvement over anything UA offers.

I also buy a lounge membership, so don't need to rely on status for domestic access. Understand I might feel differently if I were relying on EXP/Emerald status.
Old Jan 26, 20, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I think that's a YMMV situation, depending on travel patterns.

As someone who frequently transits HKG, and does quite a few premium t-cons every year, I find the AA/OW rules considerably more favorable for my travel. CX F lounges, plus FLs at JFK/LAX on premium t-cons, are a huge improvement over anything UA offers.

I also buy a lounge membership, so don't need to rely on status for domestic access. Understand I might feel differently if I were relying on EXP/Emerald status.
The AA/OW lounges are definitely nicer, from what Iíve seen. But I miss having lounge access on any intíl itinerary, since a big percentage of my travel is within areas AA doesnít consider to be ďinternationalĒ enough (Mexico except MEX, Central America, Caribbean).
Kacee likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: