Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does EXP experience get worse after successfully completing trial?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does EXP experience get worse after successfully completing trial?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Got it. That explains your upgrade percentage. I'm at 18% upgrade rate being DFW based.
I got my dfw upgrade last night to SFO. Typically my route is dsm>DFW>SFO
Dsm>PHX>SFO

Have gotten upgraded on all of those...I hope I don't drop back to 18%....that would not be nice given the trend thus far.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Dsm>PHX>SFO

Have gotten upgraded on all of those...I hope I don't drop back to 18%....that would not be nice given the trend thus far.
I hope luck stays with you! Jut yesterday I flew dfw-atl mid afternoon flight and was 18 out of 42 on the list .
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Dsm>PHX>SFO

It's all about timing. DFW-SFO can be an easy or tough upgrade. Same with ORD (which I find easier than DFW). AA does not sell upgrades to non-elites like UA so upgrade rates are much higher.

If you're on a challenge, among EXPs you're about at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to upgrades. The way AA prioritizes within status is your 12 month rolling spend with the airline, so yours is much, much lower than existing EXPs who netted at least $15k in spend in 2019. As your spend goes up, your priority among EXPs will go up too.

Not surprised your experience is a far higher upgrade rate on American. I'm SFO based and it keeps me flying American - my upgrade rate the last few years has been 80-85%+ whereas my friends who fly UA or DL are upgraded at far, far lower rates
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Is there a thread that tracks upgrade rates by destination? Would be cool to see and I could build a visualization.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
When I log into my reservations on the app I'm often prompted with a message to upgrade to F for some amount of money. Typically the amounts aren't worth it (last week $1,041 for an upgrade on MIA/LAX 321), at least to me. But maybe others bite. I assume this would be an instant upgrade after one paid the $$$$.

I've noticed that after AA instituted this feature in the app my upgrade rate has plummeted. AA seems willing to sell upgrades via the aa,com app. IDK if AA would sell the same upgrade to a non elite logging into their reservation.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm also completing an EXP challenge and have found upgrades as an SFO-based flyer significantly easier. There is a stark difference between the two carriers on FCM. UA aggressively upsells the front cabin at a discount, AA (at least in my experience) does not. AA's revenue management algorithm also appears to be less sophisticated.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm also completing an EXP challenge and have found upgrades as an SFO-based flyer significantly easier. There is a stark difference between the two carriers on FCM. UA aggressively upsells the front cabin at a discount, AA (at least in my experience) does not. AA's revenue management algorithm also appears to be less sophisticated.
Hi Kacee, remember you from the Hyatt board. I'm doing the challenge out of anger with United (nothing like spite as a motivator lol). I thought you were gifted EXP? I was so jealous...

Back on topic though...if my SFO flights are going to be upgraded even at a 50% rate that will far outstrip what I experienced as a United 1k.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Bolding mine. Flying any non-UA airline to/from SFO means competing with significantly fewer elites, including especially those at the GS/CK/360 level, per flight.
I don't know about this. SFO and SJC have been most of my missed upgrades last year. I missed something like 10 (out of 160), and 7 of them involved SFO and SJC. And not always at peak times.

EXP with rolling 37k ish.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Got it. That explains your upgrade percentage. I'm at 18% upgrade rate being DFW based.
You have the lowest upgrade percentage I've ever heard of. I was DFW based a few years ago and didnt have it this bad.

Last few years, I'm 90+%. IAH/HOU/SFO/SJC based so end up in DFW a fair amount.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't know about this. SFO and SJC have been most of my missed upgrades last year. I missed something like 10 (out of 160), and 7 of them involved SFO and SJC. And not always at peak times.

EXP with rolling 37k ish.
So you missed 10 out of 160? So you were upgraded 94% of the time? Seems like a pretty good rate..

Unless you missed 7 outof 10..then that would be no bueno...is that the right comparative?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you missed 10 out of 160? So you were upgraded 94% of the time? Seems like a pretty good rate..

Unless you missed 7 outof 10..then that would be no bueno...is that the right comparative?
Sorry. Wasnt clear. I was saying I missed 10 or so out of 160 total. out of those 10, 7 were from or to SFO/SJC
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
You have the lowest upgrade percentage I've ever heard of. I was DFW based a few years ago and didnt have it this bad.

Last few years, I'm 90+%. IAH/HOU/SFO/SJC based so end up in DFW a fair amount.
A lot has changed in two years too. Before EQD ranking I was indeed in the mid 80 percentage wise. Now at a rolling EQD at only $20K I'm in the high teens. Yep.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:48 pm

SFO is a big UA hub with tons of 1K and GS. Upgrades are more the exception than the rule. Upgrades on AA as EXP here are pretty good, except when going to JFK, DFW, LAX during prime travel times.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Is there a thread that tracks upgrade rates by destination? Would be cool to see and I could build a visualization.
No, it wouldn't be. It would be like the train wreck "What Kind of Car to Expect at (Station)" threads on the Hertz forum where people dump in their random anecdotes not realizing that the same station can have dramatically different inventory based on day of week, time of day, and season. It's a confusing jumble and it's not actionable data.

Upgrades are like that. Directionality matters. Day of week matters. Time of day matters. Equipment matters. Season matters...
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks so upgrade priority is based on Eqd (within the tier)? Good to know. Perhaps I am getting good experiences because it's very early in the year.
Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.