Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Ranked Last Again in Operational Performance (WSJ Jan 2020)

American Ranked Last Again in Operational Performance (WSJ Jan 2020)

Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
AA's priorities are shareholders > employees > customers, when it ought to go employees > customers > shareholders. Put customers last, finish last.
Spiff and RoadWarrior200 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Now if AA had to deal with the EU rules... watch how quickly that would all change.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
AA's management philosophy is to mimic Delta rather than being an industry leader and trend setter.
They seem to copy Delta very well where it negatively affects us. Why can't they copy the positives from Delta (operational performance)?
I used to be loyal to AA, and only fly DL on occasion simply because AAdvantage was far superior to Skymiles. Now that AA has matched DL in this department, I usually fly with DL or its partners, and don't put a lot of thought into miles or status any more as long as I can hit SM or GM on DL. IME, DL is honestly a nicer airline than AA on pretty much all fronts now. That having been said, if I lived near an AA hub airport, I'd endure AA in order to get nonstop flights. The gap isn't big enough to justify connections.
RoadWarrior200 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
AA's priorities are shareholders > employees > customers, when it ought to go employees > customers > shareholders. Put customers last, finish last.
ITYM
executive team >> shareholders > employees > customers
Since they appear to be setting up the company to go into BK again during the next economic turn down, which will work out nicely for the shareholders...

But who can tell?

saunders111
Spiff and cmd320 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
Actually, the amount makes a big difference. If you're willing to keep upping the amount of compensation to change flights, you'll basically always be able to find someone to take your deal. I think DL maxes out at ~$10K in vouchers for VDB compensation. The number of times when you couldn't find enough volunteers for that sort of compensation would be very low--probably about 9 per year.

Sure it does. There's a lot more involved to profitability than VDB compensation, and DL is doing a better job at most of them. Not AA, but I've nearly been IDBed off an Alaska flight where they maxed out at IDB compensation that was roughly a third of what they'd have to pay me in IDB flight (I had a full Y ticket, but had also checked in last). So it's also possible that being more generous with VDB money can actually result in better profitability for some airlines.

That's definitely true too, but the reason why DL hardly IDBs anyone is because of their approach to VDB compensation. It's also possible they are better at overbooking than AA, but not three orders of magnitude better.
I don't think you have ANY data points to suggest that the biggest difference between 9 and 15,000 IDB is simply due to the amount offered and not based upon operational efficiencies.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by jordyn
That's definitely true too, but the reason why DL hardly IDBs anyone is because of their approach to VDB compensation. It's also possible they are better at overbooking than AA, but not three orders of magnitude better.
I'd think that if one runs a banked hub, there'll be more missed connections. More missed connections means more room to overbook, which means if there's a day where things are running smoothly, there's going to be *DB.

Of course, if DL decides that it's better to pay high VDB compensation to have a better chance of keeping the pax's future business, it would also stand to reason that they'd charge the VDB comp to the revenue management department, which disincentivizes aggressive overbooking: it turns selling one more ticket and counting on one more misconnect into a game of picking up dollar coins in front of a bulldozer.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by BearX220
BLASPHEMY! That would never work. And by never, I mean it works phenomenally for Costco!
BearX220 and Spiff like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:11 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Off point but kind of indicative of the difference between Delta and AA, so I flew Delta last week in coach and on both flights when the fa asked what my wife and I wanted to drink they addressed us as Mr and Mrs abk. I was amazed as that happens less than half the time in J or F on AA. That on top of they served a real lunch in the Sky club and the free liquor was brands you recognized.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Gig103
BLASPHEMY! That would never work. And by never, I mean it works phenomenally for Costco!
I have no idea how on Earth that poster concluded that AA is run for its shareholders' benefit. And someone else posted that Parker runs the airline by the numbers. Those claims are positively laughable. AA is arguably far worse to its shareholders than its customers.

Even if we gave AA a pass ("the airline industry is a tough business" ) for vaporizing 14% of its shareholders wealth over the past 12 months when the S&P 500 surged 26%, one notes that DAL actually outperformed $SPX with a 28% gain over the same time period. LUV and UAL badly trailed the overall $SPX but still produced positive returns.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by Herb687
I have no idea how on Earth that poster concluded that AA is run for its shareholders' benefit. And someone else posted that Parker runs the airline by the numbers. Those claims are positively laughable. AA is arguably far worse to its shareholders than its customers.

Even if we gave AA a pass ("the airline industry is a tough business" ) for vaporizing 14% of its shareholders wealth over the past 12 months when the S&P 500 surged 26%, one notes that DAL actually outperformed $SPX with a 28% gain over the same time period. LUV and UAL badly trailed the overall $SPX but still produced positive returns.
Being a legacy shareholder from its bankruptcy days who also trade in options, AA has been very generous to me on the ground. it all depends on your investment strategy
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Reviewing the ranking of the airlines I would say that these rankings mirror my experience on AA and DL. The problem with AA is that they just...don't...care. Between poor labor relations, disgruntled employees, operationally challenging hubs (some of which operate overcapacity on a good day) and poor recovery efforts after WX issues, AA is just one big, festering dumpster fire. I just do not have the issues on DL that I have on AA.

In fact, things have gotten so bad on AA that I did something I swore I'd never do again...I've started flying UA again after getting status matched to Premier 1K earlier this month. At least I'm flying the 8th worst airline instead of the 9th worst one.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:05 pm

Is anyone surprised?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The problem isn’t that the airline is run for any particular group, the problem is that the airline just isn’t even run at all. The current management has no clue what they’re doing or even how to go about running the airline, which is why all you ever see are policies that copy DL/UA yet zero of the customer service or operational positives that DL brings to the table.

I’m honestly shocked that Parker has been kept around this long and I knew from the beginning US(HP) attempting to run AA would be a complete dumpster fire.
Spiff and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Not surprising particularly given how bad the summer months were. Though it's amusing, while we have things like this being ranked last in operational performance, there are also posts floating around on FT to the effect of "American needs to stop being so hung up on hitting D0 time!"

It'd be interesting seeing more data on delays, causes, locality to certain airports, etc. Could have sworn I found that on the internet somewhere at some point.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
In fact, things have gotten so bad on AA that I did something I swore I'd never do again...I've started flying UA again after getting status matched to Premier 1K earlier this month. At least I'm flying the 8th worst airline instead of the 9th worst one.
I've considered switching to UA and flying out of SFO instead of AA in SJC. But UA does too good a job of monetizing their premium cabins. I'd rather be sitting in front on the 9th airline than in the back on the 8th one.
Spanish likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.