Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Employee Got Number From Bag & Stalked Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

A lawsuit reported in the Washington Post alleges that an AA employee read a woman's phone number from her bag tag, started texting her, followed her onto a SAN to ORD flight, and asked her to move next to him.

She got a flight attendant to move her away from the employee but was told "that this wasn’t 'the first time he’s done something like this.'"

If this happened so often that FAs already knew about the stalker, this is really not a good look for AA.
RoadWarrior200 and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:05 pm

Classy
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Why didn’t the woman quickly and easily click the “block caller” function on her iPhone? Why did she allow this to escalate? The guys obviously a nut job.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Not making an excuse for what the guy did, but if he didn't use AA systems in any way, why is this an AA issue?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Why didn’t the woman quickly and easily click the “block caller” function on her iPhone? Why did she allow this to escalate? The guys obviously a nut job.
That would require someone to take personal responsibility instead of playing the poor me victim card.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Not making an excuse for what the guy did, but if he didn't use AA systems in any way, why is this an AA issue?
Firstly your behavior, especially when at your workplace even if off duty, matters and reflects upon your employer also good chance he was using his flying benefits as an employee while harassing customers. Reading the texts guy seems to be a complete creep and its not like he tried to hide his employment with AA, in the texts he called out how beneficial being friendly to him could be:

I don't care where he got the number from, he identified himself as an employee while harassing a customer and suggesting "friendship" with him would be beneficial...not hard to read between those lines. Worse that apparently this wasn't the first time, how you don't fire someone the first time this happens is beyond me and you have to wonder how many others hes done this to.
JDiver, oopsz and ysolde like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:14 pm

I'll agree with that - the fact that he identified himself as an AA employee is a problem.
ryan182 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll agree with that - the fact that he identified himself as an AA employee is a problem.

When he did that he effectively ended his career at AA.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
When he did that he effectively ended his career at AA.
Hopefully that what happened, as in AA kicked him to the curb when this was first reported and not in response to the publicity from the lawsuit. If as claimed the FA really did say the guy has done this before that's concerning, if it was only the 2nd time what are the odds that both times happened on flights that had that FA? IOW how often did this happen and what did AA know about it? If AA had no previous reports about this guy doing this then I don't really see how they should be held responsible assuming they fired him after investigating this report and finding it credible, on the other hand if they had previous reports about this guys behavior and didn't do anything until this hit the papers that doesn't look good and will probably lead to a bigger settlement (even though I find "damages" about hurt feelings/emotional stress ridiculous).
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume that the employee had access to the passenger's bag (to read the number off the tag) as part of AA job duties.

Also, the employee offered to use his "powers" as an AA employee to get the woman free upgrades, lounge access etc.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I assume that the employee had access to the passenger's bag (to read the number off the tag) as part of AA job duties.

Also, the employee offered to use his "powers" as an AA employee to get the woman free upgrades, lounge access etc.
That is correct. Articles state that. Sexual harassment laws would implicate him as well in this regard because he was in his workplace, and apparently fits the “knew or reasonably should have known” provisions of laws and USSC cases.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
AA has enough problems with its current employees..
I look at this, as one less employee to worry about... so sad, its like the mechanic that had worked for AA a very long time.. just throwing away your life. and for what?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Doesn't AA do background checks on employees? Why/how was this guy hired?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
"Serenity now, sanity later"

Deckter likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
you really need this question answered????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.