Thinking of dropping AA for Delta

Old Jan 14, 20, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach View Post
I'm with you on that. I went my entire college career never ever drinking more than just a few small sips of alcohol, in fact I ditched it completely when I was 26. To this day I am a triple zero. No alcohol, no nicotine, no caffeine. (I seriously dislike coffee and Coca Cola.)

Yes, I focused on academics and still had a good time in college. I got my Masters from UCLA at the age of 23.

Back to the subject of airline lounges. At your age I had no clue how much my body would deteriorate in the next 40 years. I now have arthritis and have some difficulty walking. The days of having a great time roaming around the airport just to see what's there (shops, etc) are over. I go from Point A to Point B and minimize the time on my feet. I try to connect through DFW because they have electric carts that whisk me to where I need to be.

It sounds like you are on the right track, with a healthy personal life - college life - work life balance. I suggest you take time, occasionally, to reevaluate and see if adjustments in your time are necessary.

Finally, more advice. Do not underestimate the value of making a good selection of a life partner. One of the best and smartest things I ever did was stick with my then-boyfriend, now-husband. It's absolutely possible to go through life without an SO, but having the right SO makes a lot of little things a lot easier.
I agree, having the right SO can help a lot. Iíve been talking to a girl that really helps me keep my life together and gives me a sense of direction on bad days if that makes sense. At the same time people tell me to not get attached so soon because Iím young and sheís a year younger than me, but I do enjoy spending time with her and itís definitely something that helps me stay in the right track. Thank you for the advice
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by ggonzaga View Post
Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I pulled up the SC lounges in BOS and they say they have bars. Does this mean they're self service bars or not necessarily?
Both Sky Clubs in Boston have bartenders and are not self-service. They are also currently renovating one of the clubs in Boston (it is still open during renovation) and are adding showers there, if that makes any difference to you.
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EP
Yes but those domestic lounges are crap compared to flagship lounges or the Centurion lounges.
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWToKM View Post
Both Sky Clubs in Boston have bartenders and are not self-service. They are also currently renovating one of the clubs in Boston (it is still open during renovation) and are adding showers there, if that makes any difference to you.
Perfect, Iíll be visiting them in about a month when I fly Delta. Hopefully theyíre not packed, but if they are I might just stick with AA and reluctantly buy the AC membership. I wish there was a Centurion lounge in Boston!
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tfizzle View Post
Yes but those domestic lounges are crap compared to flagship lounges or the Centurion lounges.
I would argue that the flagship and centurion lounges are still behind some first class lounges in Europe and Asia. The Cathay Pacific lounge in LHR is probably the nicest lounge Iíve ever been to.
Old Jan 14, 20, 9:05 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I would argue that the flagship and centurion lounges are still behind some first class lounges in Europe and Asia. The Cathay Pacific lounge in LHR is probably the nicest lounge Iíve ever been to.
Try the CX first in Hong Kong... its amazing... probably the best I have been too.
along with the first lounge in BOM...
Score8 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hard to *really* compare First Class lounges to business class lounges like the Flagship Lounge. Though supposedly AA's Flagship First Dining compares pretty favorably with global F lounges. That said, obviously as AA EXP you do get access to the OneWorld F lounges. But the bar is generally much higher for the best F lounges in the world (generally you have to be flying F or I think in some cases a more difficult top-tier like LH HON) like AF in CDG, LH in FRA/MUC and LX in ZRH, or even the BA Concorde room at LHR/JFK.
As far as J lounges go, I'd say the Virgin clubhouse at LHR (and its smaller cousin at JFK) is the best in the world, and actually on par with many OneWorld F lounges. If you switch to DL, you can use the Clubhouse when flying either VS or DL metal on a transatlantic flight to/from the UK, either in business class or as DL Plat/Diamond (or I think Gold outside of LHR).
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:27 pm

Programs: US CP, AA EXP, DL Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
I would recommend optimizing your credit card lounge access based on the airline you fly.

Boston on AA you have the admirals club but you also have priority pass restaurants which are available if non Amex priority pass. There is lots of good working space in BOS terminal B as it's underutilized. In terminal A at BOS with DL the terminal is crowded and the lounge is nice.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take the citi executive credit card and stick with AA. Maybe get a chase card or something else with priority pass and enjoy the PP restaurant in BOS terminal B.
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
I found out I can buy day passes for the ACs. Depending on how often I fly out of Boston it might make more sense to get the annual membership. Just $600 that stings to spend haha
You can also buy the membership with miles if you don't want to spend the cash.
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:34 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Maybe its just me. But this thread just doesn't add up.
Score8 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericcheung View Post
I would recommend optimizing your credit card lounge access based on the airline you fly.

Boston on AA you have the admirals club but you also have priority pass restaurants which are available if non Amex priority pass. There is lots of good working space in BOS terminal B as it's underutilized. In terminal A at BOS with DL the terminal is crowded and the lounge is nice.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take the citi executive credit card and stick with AA. Maybe get a chase card or something else with priority pass and enjoy the PP restaurant in BOS terminal B.
I wonder if those restaurants are on LoungeKey - I have a brazilian credit card with unlimited LK access so maybe it's the same offer. and I'd get the citi exec if getting approved isn't an issue although it might be because of citizenship issues. I might just get the AC membership though if I have issues with applying.
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KKinLA View Post
You can also buy the membership with miles if you don't want to spend the cash.
Yes, but it's also a bad use of miles in my opinion. I flew business class LHR-PHL-MIA with MileSAAver for like 57.5k miles + $300 or so. AC membership is 60k per year for PL, and that flight I took definitely costs more than $600
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by planes&trains View Post
Maybe its just me. But this thread just doesn't add up.
Why's that? I hope it's not because I'm young and I fly a lot.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:53 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Yes, but it's also a bad use of miles in my opinion. I flew business class LHR-PHL-MIA with MileSAAver for like 57.5k miles + $300 or so. AC membership is 60k per year for PL, and that flight I took definitely costs more than $600
That flight was a waste of miles, a 6-hour daytime flight LHR-PHL, no flagship lounge in PHL. You could have used those 57.5k miles for an annual AC pass and with the $300 you could have bought a roundtrip in coach Europe-MIA.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:28 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Why's that? I hope it's not because I'm young and I fly a lot.
I think it is because you seem to be basing too much on lounges rather than the airline and its network.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: