Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

one way ticket mileage or forfeit return trip

Old Jan 12, 20, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

I need to book a one way ticket from Zurich to US. Now I can redeem a one way award ticket with 50K plus $55 fee. One way ticket price is very high. Or I can buy a round trip ticket from Zurich to US and find the cheapest returned date to make the round trip ticket around $520.

It seems to me that 50K worth more than the $520-$55. Should I buy the round trip ticket? What would be the consequence if I forfeit the return trip?
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:20 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I previously was told by a Lufthansa agent on phone - pls buy return ticket and then just do not take the return leg... which I did. For me, no consequences, mileage credited for the flights I took.
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:26 pm

If you don't make a habit out of it, most times there is no consequence to no-showing a return leg. Some airlines get sensitive about it, but if you're only doing it once, you just missed your flight or changed your plans. You in no way intended to take advantage of their pricing schemes to your advantage. You wouldn't dream of it. It's not like you're asking for a refund.
But there is a definite benefit - at Passport control - for having a return ticket if you're not traveling on a US passport.
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by wshzgr View Post
It seems to me that 50K worth more than the $520-$55. Should I buy the round trip ticket? What would be the consequence if I forfeit the return trip?
Zero consequences as long as you don't do it every other week or anything like that. I would definitely buy the ticket and just throw away the return rather than spending the 50k miles.

From a process perspective...after you fly the outbound, watch the the return flights (that you're not going to take) on the day of departure. If there's any type of delay, you can cancel it at aa.com then file for a partial refund.
rickg523, no1cub17 and arollins like this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 2:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Have the return be super far in the future and book it with 2 short connections in AA hubs...you might get a refund following a schedule change!
ctbarron and arollins like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: