FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Two CLT/DCA questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2003961-two-clt-dca-questions.html)

cmtlatitudes Jan 12, 20 9:37 am

Two CLT/DCA questions

I've read in the threads previously about CLT being a cluster clearing customs and have avoided it. Tomorrow it works best for me to take a flight connecting through CLT back from the islands however.

1) The connection time on this flight is 1:35 minutes, arriving to CLT at 6:55pm. I'll be flying in Business, so early off the plane. Do not have global entry or TSA pre-check. Can carry my bag on so won't have to wait in Charlotte for baggage. Is this likely sufficient to my connecting flight to DCA departing at 830pm? Thanks. I have to book this flight in the next hour or so, so was hoping to get a some feedback if any red flags. There is one later connection but if the first is generally doable I'd rather be to DC sooner.

This question becomes irrelevant if I don't recheck my bag in CLT. But say that I did.

2) My ticket ultimately connects to BUF the first flight out the following morning. It's a 9+ hour connection on that flight. Could I retrieve my bag from the carousel in DCA Monday evening? Or would it be held and checked through automatically Tuesday morning? I thought I'd seen previous threads referencing 8 hours. If I took the one available longer connection through CLT, my connecting time in DCA would be 7 hours 53 minutes. Would that make a difference to whether my bag would be available in DC Monday evening?

IADCAflyer Jan 12, 20 9:59 am

1:35 with no baggage seems doable to me. If you miss your flight, you can take a later one to DCA. IAD is also an option.

In you first paragraph, you were talking about not having a bag. Now you're going to have one?

AAir_head Jan 12, 20 10:11 am

+1; it’s do-able carry-on only as long as you don’t hit customs the same time as multiple other arrivals. You might have a look at typical CLT arrivals either side of yours to see.

Assume you mean to carry-on for your international leg and then gate-check it to DCA? I live here, so have never done it. If you need it overnight, don’t check it. You might try calling AA about it; maybe they can get you in touch with their DCA baggage service office.

cmtlatitudes Jan 12, 20 11:14 am

Originally Posted by AAir_head (Post 31940758)
+1; itís do-able carry-on only as long as you donít hit customs the same time as multiple other arrivals. You might have a look at typical CLT arrivals either side of yours to see.

Assume you mean to carry-on for your international leg and then gate-check it to DCA? I live here, so have never done it. If you need it overnight, donít check it. You might try calling AA about it; maybe they can get you in touch with their DCA baggage service office.

Yeah... the bag is very heavy and I greatly prefer to check it. Plus I don't need to go through a major and painful repack before connecting flight because of a laptop and #personal items that way in Charlotte also. But having to pick it to clear customs anyway, and time constraints, safer to just deal with lugging it around CLT and the repacking exercise. The bag doesn't need to Buffalo the next day so I definitely want to have it in DC.

Not feeling as hopeful as I was about 1:35 minute connection. Eight - EIGHT - international arrivals in the hour before mine!! Thinking best thing is to suck it up and just book the connection a few hours later? At that way I'll still be guaranteed my business seat to DCA.

guv1976 Jan 12, 20 11:24 am

No single connection available via PHL?

cmtlatitudes Jan 12, 20 11:34 am

I'm making it hard on myself by purposefully taking the overnight connection through DCA to check in on my house and take care of some stuff during the 6-7 hours I'll have before the flight the next morning. Somewhat surprised AA makes this available as a single ticket routing connection. Have seen it out there for years, first time actually trying it.

Often1 Jan 12, 20 11:55 am

What is your origin? "The islands" refers to many places. Some have Preclearance.

cmtlatitudes Jan 12, 20 12:51 pm

If only..... sadly PLS does not. I ended up deciding to leave an hour earlier and fly back through Miami. The later connection through Charlotte to DCA went from Business to Economy only while I was futzing around deciding. Relying on the 1:35 minutes with 8 flights stacked up before me, and a coach seat on the backup plan, wasn't a happy thought. So an hour less in "paradise" for a more than reasonable window to clear customs in Miami, and a later flight whereas of now Business is still available as a contingency, is a good trade-off I guess. Blessed to be able to have a first-world problem!

IAHtraveler Jan 12, 20 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 31940612)
2) My ticket ultimately connects to BUF the first flight out the following morning. It's a 9+ hour connection on that flight. Could I retrieve my bag from the carousel in DCA Monday evening? Or would it be held and checked through automatically Tuesday morning? I thought I'd seen previous threads referencing 8 hours. If I took the one available longer connection through CLT, my connecting time in DCA would be 7 hours 53 minutes. Would that make a difference to whether my bag would be available in DC Monday evening?

I've tried to "short check" bags a few times in the last year and been unsuccessful, even with 6-8 hour overnight connections. Agents have said that they cannot do it unless they manually do the bag tags, which are now not allowed. I've asked via Twitter and been told connections < 12 hours can not have bags short-checked. So it seems you must carry it on if you need it in DC.