Do award seats open closer to date?

Old Jan 12, 20, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Do award seats open closer to date?

Hi, trying to redeem my first flight with miles. When I looked yesterday there were business class seat on Cathay, Etihad and Qatar. I tried to book the Qatar but when I hit select it kept saying not available. Today it shows no availability on Qatar for that specific date (early dec), although there are availability’s for Friday or Monday (I need Saturday or Sunday ��). I really wanted to try the Qsuites, does this mean all the availability is gone? Could anymore possibly open up? The award availability for my route is pretty open (KTM to IAD) should I just book the Cathay or Etihad whole it’s available? Thanks

Last edited by lizzie472; Jan 12, 20 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
https://onemileatatime.com/last-minute-airline-awards/
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Ah, disappointing. So then would you recommend Etihad or Cathay Pacific business class?
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by lizzie472 View Post
Ah, disappointing. So then would you recommend Etihad or Cathay Pacific business class?
I would recommend any business class where you can get award seats on the days you want.

That said, both Etihad and Cathay business class are nice.
Old Jan 12, 20, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, trying to redeem my first flight with miles. When I looked yesterday there were business class seat on Cathay, Etihad and Qatar. I tried to book the Qatar but when I hit select it kept saying not available. Today it shows no availability on Qatar for that specific date (early dec), although there are availability’s for Friday or Monday (I need Saturday or Sunday ��). I really wanted to try the Qsuites, does this mean all the availability is gone? Could anymore possibly open up? The award availability for my route is pretty open (KTM to IAD) should I just book the Cathay or Etihad whole it’s available? Thanks
Qatar has a history of often making redemptions to/from the US only available on weekdays, not weekends. You're lucky to find even Friday, as sometimes they limit to Mon-Thu.

So if you're not willing to change to mid-week dates, I wouldn't count on being able to find Qatar seats later.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat

After reading this article, it got me to thinking about a return trip I have that's to begin on Sunday, January 19th (JFK-SFO).

The availability load was abundant in Y and there was even more availability in J as well as F. Needless to say, a day ago, Y availability was zero'd out to just be available for MCS seat. There has been no change to J or F availabilities.

In my opinion, it didn't seem organic for all of a sudden that the less expensive fare classes were all of a sudden snatched up.

Anyway...

I just started thinking that AA decided to "force" people to purchase the higher Y fares and may release the lower ones closer to departure day. Besides, the 20th is a Federal Public Holiday and I couldn't believe the fare I found a week ago for departing on on Sunday for my return flight.
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Qatar regularly has sales on their US to Asia routes. I've seen US->KTM for as little as $2500 in business class. Not sure I'd want to use my miles on something like that, when you can just buy the airfare, and earn EQM/EQD instead.
Keep an eye on both the Qatar and Mileage Run (premium) forums here on FlyerTalk.
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Qatar regularly has sales on their US to Asia routes. I've seen US->KTM for as little as $2500 in business class. Not sure I'd want to use my miles on something like that, when you can just buy the airfare, and earn EQM/EQD instead.
Keep an eye on both the Qatar and Mileage Run (premium) forums here on FlyerTalk.
I ended up finding a ticket. It looks like the price is about 2k. I donít want to hold onto these AA miles too long as it looks like dynamic pricing is coming soon, there have been whispers of Qatar and AA cutting ties, and plus my flight isnít going to get much longer than KTM to IAD so it will give me the best bang for my point time wise. Pretty excited, I have never flown business before, hope I donít become ruined!
Gerbs and aztimm like this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 12:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
I ended up finding a ticket. It looks like the price is about 2k. I donít want to hold onto these AA miles too long as it looks like dynamic pricing is coming soon, there have been whispers of Qatar and AA cutting ties, and plus my flight isnít going to get much longer than KTM to IAD so it will give me the best bang for my point time wise. Pretty excited, I have never flown business before, hope I donít become ruined!
Great news, thanks for sharing! Sorry for my delay in replying....I was actually flying Qatar
I'm using to flying AA, and to a lesser extent BA, QF, etc. And all I can say is WOW! If you've never flown business at all, I think you'll be blown away, especially if you have QSuites (I did).
Old Jan 16, 20, 12:13 pm

Qatar does open up seats last minute. E.g. On my JFK-DOH flight it went from 0 to 4 qsuite awards available about 5 days out for a Sunday departure. So it often pays to book what you are happy with (in this case e.g. Etihad) and switch (for free) once the award becomes available.

Also, make sure you call AA as awards may not show up online.
Old Jan 16, 20, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
Not ex-US, but my NRT-DOH in December opened up a good deal of last-minute availability, along with HND-DOH. So I agree to keep looking as it gets close to departure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: