FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ORD / LHR Daytime Flight Cancelled? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2003742-ord-lhr-daytime-flight-cancelled.html)

TGGDEL Jan 10, 20 6:29 pm

ORD / LHR Daytime Flight Cancelled?

I tried looking back but couldn't find a thread on this - has this flight been cancelled? It used to be great, left at 9ish and arrived at 10ish. Sad if it's gone

bse118 Jan 10, 20 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by TGGDEL (Post 31935127)
I tried looking back but couldn't find a thread on this - has this flight been cancelled? It used to be great, left at 9ish and arrived at 10ish. Sad if it's gone

:confused: More information required. Are you not seeing it for sale on certain days/dates?

AA90 is certainly coming up in search results on the few random dates I just checked throughout the year.

xliioper Jan 10, 20 6:47 pm

It's daily beginning Feb 5th. Google Flights currently not showing any gaps in service through end-of-schedule.

TGGDEL Jan 10, 20 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31935198)
It's daily beginning Feb 5th. Google Flights currently not showing any gaps in service through end-of-schedule.

Sorry, I should have elaborated. Iím not seeing it for the remainder of this month. Any idea why itís not flying in Jan?

xliioper Jan 10, 20 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by TGGDEL (Post 31935245)
Sorry, I should have elaborated. I’m not seeing it for the remainder of this month. Any idea why it’s not flying in Jan?

It's a very slow travel demand period. Suggests a limited seasonal suspension from Jan 9th - Feb 4th. Many airlines run reduced schedules around this time.

TGGDEL Jan 10, 20 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31935267)
It's a very slow travel demand period. Suggests a limited seasonal suspension from Jan 9th - Feb 4th. Many airlines run reduced scheduled around this time.

Thank you very much for the explanation and patience! Shame, I was planning on flying it end of Jan,
I guess Iíll have to fly overnight J now...

danielonn Jan 12, 20 2:57 am

I would love to see a 5 or 7 AM. Departure out of SFO or SJC to LHR or CDG. Anyways I'm up at 3 AM to go to JFK and I love staying up and getting to bed around 11 anyways vs the overnight morning arrival. One could then still conn ct to other destinations. If Asia has 1 AM departures you could do a 1 AM flight to Europe from the West Coast.

IADCAflyer Jan 12, 20 6:14 am

From SFO, its about a 10:30 flight, and about 8 hours time difference this time of year. A 7:00 am departure would land in LHR at 1:30 am. So, not only are no onward connections available for many hours, but you are also arriving at 1:00 am. By the time you're in a hotel, it would be closer to 3:00 am. My guess is the airlines have found this to be non-optimal and there probably isn't enough pure LHR-SFO traffic to warrant it.

CrazyJ82 Jan 12, 20 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 31939977)
From SFO, its about a 10:30 flight, and about 8 hours time difference this time of year. A 7:00 am departure would land in LHR at 1:30 am. So, not only are no onward connections available for many hours, but you are also arriving at 1:00 am. By the time you're in a hotel, it would be closer to 3:00 am. My guess is the airlines have found this to be non-optimal and there probably isn't enough pure LHR-SFO traffic to warrant it.

There's also the problem of tight restrictions on the number of takeoffs and landings at LHR overnight. There isn't a curfew but there is a quota and a flight would need to be particularly profitable for a carrier to use up part of the quota for it.

IADCAflyer Jan 12, 20 4:06 pm

Yes, very true. The quota allocation is strict and is based on noise dB levels. I remember flying to LHR last year and with a significant tailwind, we had to circle so as to not land before 6:00 am.