Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Temporary Gold to EXP Status targeted offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Temporary Gold to EXP Status targeted offer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Presumably based on the customer's prospective value to AA.

I just got this too. As a former UA 1k who is done with that program, I might bite.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have this offer. I am a general member with AA, and never flew with AA once in 2019. I did have KA flight where I credited to AA.

I see this as the equivalent of a status challenge/match.

I have 130K+ of BIS already booked in the first five months, none with AA. I probably don't have time to do this but thanks for the offer.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS AA
Just targeted and registered for Platinum Pro. No 500-mile offer though. Never had status with AA.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've seen AA do this repeatedly over the past few years. It feels dumb, but then I would submit actually spending any time or money to achieve the meager benefits of being elite these days is also dumb. The good news is that the vast majority of the new short-term elites won't use these benefits. And if they do, all they'll get is early boarding and a better coach seat. So little to no harm to "real" elites.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
I received this offer of free Platinum pro status through April 2020. I have a flight booked to Krakow in August. My question is this. If I use the option of choosing main cabin extra seats, will I be able to keep them since my Platinum pro status will have expired by the time I fly?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
My wife got the gold offer, but my daughter nothing. Only difference is that the wife did PHX-AUS with me last year. They both went on 2 other trips (with me).
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by gnggng
I received this offer of free Platinum pro status through April 2020. I have a flight booked to Krakow in August. My question is this. If I use the option of choosing main cabin extra seats, will I be able to keep them since my Platinum pro status will have expired by the time I fly?
I was in this situation a couple of years ago, and the MCE assignments stuck as long as there was no change in the seating charts.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This offer to a targeted audience varies from Gold to Platinum to Platinum Pro (doesn’t include a Executive Platinum), to people chosen using unknown criteria. Those targeted range from those who have never held AAdvantage status to those with status that has lapsed several years.

It is the policy of this forum to discuss similar programs and offers in one thread, and not restrict a thread to a program offer with just one AAdvantage status tier or the experiences of one person receiving such an offer. The title of this thread has been edited to include the full scope of the offer.

If anyone has questions about Moderator actions, please contact the Moderators. Moderator actions are not to be discussed in public fora, in accordance with the FlyerTalk Rules.

Thank you for your understanding.

Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by iahphx
We've seen AA do this repeatedly over the past few years. It feels dumb, but then I would submit actually spending any time or money to achieve the meager benefits of being elite these days is also dumb. The good news is that the vast majority of the new short-term elites won't use these benefits. And if they do, all they'll get is early boarding and a better coach seat. So little to no harm to "real" elites.
+1. My no status college daughter got temporary Plat + 20 stickers last year. I think she took a total of 2 AA flights during the promo period.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
We've seen AA do this repeatedly over the past few years.
Yup here are two threads from 2018/19
Complimentary Platinum status promo (via physical mail)
Targeted: Free Elite Status inc. e-500 and challenge (05/2018)
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bosman
+1. My no status college daughter got temporary Plat + 20 stickers last year. I think she took a total of 2 AA flights during the promo period.
My husband got that ~ a year ago, and he had JUST paid for MCE on a transcon. (Which was refunded anyway when his mileage upgrade cleared). But it was 2 flights that were already booked. (And the outbound mileage upgrade was available at booking, so nothing stolen from any real elites there!)
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bosman
I took a transcon flight with temporary Plat status a couple months ago and I couldn't even get MCE. I was 31st on the upgrade list. The best benefit was just a thousand or so more AAdvantage miles. Big whoop. BTW, this is why I only care about gold status, as that really is enough. Everything else is so marginal for the added expense/trouble.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dabeags
Just got this email for Platinum. Never have had AA status before, rarely ever fly it due to my base being SEA. Past two years I was both WN A+ w/Companion and Alaska MVP75k. Would AA know my status on other airlines?

Is it allowed to give the 500 mile upgrades away? I don't foresee me flying AA at all this year.
You cannot give them away. The whole idea in getting them is because AA wants you to fly on AA..
500 mile upgrades do not expire.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
You cannot give them away. The whole idea in getting them is because AA wants you to fly on AA..
500 mile upgrades do not expire.
They don't expire, but as a practical matter, they will be impossible to use. Especially as a gold.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I no longer have status with AA. I was offered AA Gold until some time in April 2020. And a boat load of 500 mile upgrades to add to the boat load I had and couldnt use when I was Platinum.

The only catch? I would have to fly AA a bunch. So, that's not going to happen. It was a nice offer though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.