Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transcontinental Flights with Extras

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Transcontinental Flights with Extras

Are there any transcontinental flights that are treated similar to transoceanic/international still around?

For example, back in 2011 I took a USAirways flight from Philly to Anchorage. We flew Economy, but it was treated like an international flight in terms of additional amenities. We were served a meal and drinks, not just snacks. We actually left from the international terminal as well, not that that matters really.

I am looking for something similar for a flight from south Florida to Vancouver and a flight back home from Calgary to south Florida. There are no direct flights from where I live so I am looking to connect in a city that may have something like this in Economy/Plus/PremiumEcon. I've tried doing a search manually but my head started spinning and figured I'd ask here since everyone flies so often, someone might know one off the top of their heads.

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
Are there any transcontinental flights that are treated similar to transoceanic/international still around?

For example, back in 2011 I took a USAirways flight from Philly to Anchorage. We flew Economy, but it was treated like an international flight in terms of additional amenities. We were served a meal and drinks, not just snacks. We actually left from the international terminal as well.

I am looking for something similar for a flight from south Florida to Vancouver and a flight back home from Calgary to south Florida. There are no direct flights from where I live so I am looking to connect in a city that may have something like this in Economy/Plus/PremiumEcon. I've tried doing a search manually but my head started spinning and figured I'd ask here since everyone flies so often, someone might know one off the top of their heads.

Thanks
On AA, buying Main Cabin Extra seating gets you extra legroom and free drinks. Then, you can pre-order a coach meal or snack on the website to guarantee (or almost guarantee) getting a meal or snack on your flight. That might be the best way to get the "better" amenities...just a thought.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy

For example, back in 2011 I took a USAirways flight from Philly to Anchorage. We flew Economy, but it was treated like an international flight in terms of additional amenities. We were served a meal and drinks, not just snacks. We actually left from the international terminal as well, not that that matters really.

Thanks
You're not going to find anything like that in 2020 on AA metal to Vancouver or Calgary, flights to and from there will be the same as any ole domestic flight.

As of now, CX operates JFK-YVR (continuing on to HKG) on a 77W, and you would for sure get a hot meal and drinks on that in economy. But no idea if there are any through fares from your starting point that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg (so you might have to buy separate tickets), who knows if would be cost effective compared to just Florida-DFW-YVR on AA. And that flight is scheduled to end in March.
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The OP could book one of the 772 flights from MIA to DFW and by paying for MCE would get PE sold as Y (assuming there's PE seats available, particularly for a family). Only a drink service but at least on that flight you'd get a decent seat. Anything to Vancouver on any airline (other than CX mentioned above) would be a narrow body with drink service. I assume from DFW the OP would be looking at a 738 or an A319.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anything other than the premium TCON routes is hit or miss as well. Those are expressly not marketed as 4-class aircraft because the aircraft is the first to go if AA needs to sub. You could be booked into a PE seat on a 3 or 4 class widebody and wind up in MCE on a 738 or the like.

The reality is that for the additional hard and soft product, you will likely have to add at least one connection if not two and that calls into the question the value of a sandwich.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You're not going to find anything like that in 2020 on AA metal to Vancouver or Calgary, flights to and from there will be the same as any ole domestic flight.

As of now, CX operates JFK-YVR (continuing on to HKG) on a 77W, and you would for sure get a hot meal and drinks on that in economy. But no idea if there are any through fares from your starting point that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg (so you might have to buy separate tickets), who knows if would be cost effective compared to just Florida-DFW-YVR on AA. And that flight is scheduled to end in March.
I figured as much. A lot of people on that flight back in 2011 were shocked when the meals started coming down the aisle. haha So even back then that was a rare thing.

That flight wouldn't work as the trip would be for this coming August.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Anything other than the premium TCON routes is hit or miss as well. Those are expressly not marketed as 4-class aircraft because the aircraft is the first to go if AA needs to sub. You could be booked into a PE seat on a 3 or 4 class widebody and wind up in MCE on a 738 or the like.

The reality is that for the additional hard and soft product, you will likely have to add at least one connection if not two and that calls into the question the value of a sandwich.
I am definitely not looking to go crazy over a sandwich, that's for sure. I do like the idea of the MIA flight. We flew PE to Rome in June and enjoyed having those seats and extra space. I will play around and look for planes where I could potentially end up in PE.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
There are a fair number of domestic flights on widebodies. If you go to the AA Cargo site, you will find schedules. Some are 3-class planes (J, PE, Y) and some are not. In particular, the A332's are 3-class while the B763 and A333 are not. If you buy an F seat on these birds, you will get a lie-flat; if you buy MCE you can get a PE seat if they exist. There are flights from MIA to DFW, JFK, LAS, LAX, ORD, PHL, and SFO. It's possible that the schedules will become thinner as summer comes on and TATL service increases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.