Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Help on flight TPA-DFW-SCL & EZE-DFW-TPA changes

Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold

Hello all AA flyers. I lived in NJ and had status with UA. Moved south and now using other airlines. No status with AA and have a problem. Bought ticket TAP-DFW-SCL then EZE-DFW-TPA last year in Premier Econ for travel in Feb. I know how extremely important work obligation in Vegas that ends the same day I leave for SCL. I have bought an AA ticket from LAS to DFW to meet original flight. A few years ago this happened and UA cancelled my first portion and I proceeded on. Called AA expecting to have to pay some thing but was told I have to cancel TPA-DFW round trip. Buy new ticket DFW to TPA for 200 and now the ticket is re fared and I have to pay almost 900 bucks more...so...any thoughts of help here for me??? Work wont pay for this and I will still be sat in the same seats!

Thanks for reading, thanks for listening to me say WT HECK

Mel
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Mel Grant
Hello all AA flyers. I lived in NJ and had status with UA. Moved south and now using other airlines. No status with AA and have a problem. Bought ticket TAP-DFW-SCL then EZE-DFW-TPA last year in Premier Econ for travel in Feb. I know how extremely important work obligation in Vegas that ends the same day I leave for SCL. I have bought an AA ticket from LAS to DFW to meet original flight. A few years ago this happened and UA cancelled my first portion and I proceeded on. Called AA expecting to have to pay some thing but was told I have to cancel TPA-DFW round trip. Buy new ticket DFW to TPA for 200 and now the ticket is re fared and I have to pay almost 900 bucks more...so...any thoughts of help here for me??? Work wont pay for this and I will still be sat in the same seats!

Thanks for reading, thanks for listening to me say WT HECK

Mel
Yes, if you want to fly on the LAS-DFW flight to pick up the rest of your itinerary, then you will need to change your original ticket to start at DFW, which will require repricing your entire ticket.

There's really no way around it, if don't fly the first TPA-DFW segment then the rest will be cancelled, so you can't just show up in DFW expecting to hop on the DFW-SCL flight.

Not sure exactly what the phone agent was talking about, but it seems you have 2 options, I would do whatever is cheaper : change ticket to LAS-SCL, EZE-TPA, and cancel the other LAS-DFW segment you later booked. Or change it to DFW-SCL, EZE-TPA, and fly to DFW on that 2nd flight you booked.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Maybe your fare class was different when you did this on UA. I had to reprice a UA ticket for a similar thing before.
As it is, if you don't fly the first segment of the ticket, remaining segments will be canceled, unless you tell AA in advance of missing the segment, and they agree to just drop the segment from the ticket
I have heard of this being done due to illness or death, but not for a change in work commitment
I have similar concerns as I generally leave after work hours for vacation trips, but a small change in work hours could cause an issue.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Thanks for all the input. Ended up having spend some mega bucks to change this!! Lesson learned but could not chance having the whole itinerary cancelled.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Mel Grant
Thanks for all the input. Ended up having spend some mega bucks to change this!! Lesson learned but could not chance having the whole itinerary cancelled.
It would not have been a "chance". It would have been a certainty.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:19 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by millionmiler
It would not have been a "chance". It would have been a certainty.
I've called and had them "drop" legs before with no additional cost. Always discounted coach. No elite status. Just explained the situation and they helped.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.